stupid question....

after looking around a bit for a dogleg for my l16 for my 510, i came to one conclusion, there is no direct simple list of things i will need for the swap, can anyone give me a simple list? im already guessing a dogleg transmission and a shortened driveshaft...? anything else? im sorry to anyone who reads this and thinks im a absolute idiot and a lazy bum..... =]

your local web idiot,

-red\

Ps, anyone have a working 5 speed in the bay area for decently cheap, please PM me.....

PPS, my tranny blew up yesterday........

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how much you want to pay?

how much you willing to go down on the price? im still new to the whole 5 speed thing...... i drove a buddies 510 with a 5 speed and he told me they are not really cheap, but i do have some random parts as well for trade plus cash on top.....

yeah i wasnt sure where exactly to post this, i thought since it was more of a question rather than a ad, i thought to post it here. =]

if i can find one cheap enough, ill just go 5 speed, but if it gets out of my price range, then ill just find a 4 speed to slap back on and drive away....

I have been told that the dogleg is a week 5 speed for the weight of the 510, so I got a 280z 5 speed. They are quite common but you will need a modified tranny mount and a shortened drive line.

Hope this helps your car a bit,

It would suck to get a weaker tranny with all your cash and then drive it to hard and burn it out in 3 months, get the tuff stuff so you can play longer and stronger.

its weak for a 510? haha, its no more weak for a 510 than anything else. I had a long tail dogleg 5 speed in my truck, and a short one in my 510. They did just fine. I hauled huge loads with my truck, rallied it, etc. Never gave me any problems. I rallied the 510, and it got stuck in gear (dunno the history of it tho either) and after i got it unstuck, it would grind in 2'nd and 3'rd if i didn't shift slow.. Still works today, and that was over a year ago.

It is a weaker trans tho.. one from a 280zx is good like rustina said, you could also get a transmission out of a 720 pickup and swap the bell housing with one from an L series trans, and its really strong as well.

the dogleg will be cheaper. It will be reliable if you dont go out and rally the piss out of it. It will do just fine for daily driving, getting on it etc. You wont have to have a driveline custom made. They are weaker..

For the 280zx, it is stronger, i think the gears are better for highway speeds in 5'th. You have to cut the floor shifter hole back, get a custom drive line, and also mod the transmission crossmember (maybe a longer speedo cable)

Ive seen doglegs go for 150 around here, your area 250

Every 280zx trans i've inquired about, it was from Z guys and they wanted 450 for them. You could probably get one cheaper then that.

For the 280zx, it is stronger, i think the gears are better for highway speeds in 5'th. ....

Every 280zx trans i've inquired about, it was from Z guys and they wanted 450 for them. You could probably get one cheaper then that.

1983 280zx non-turbo trannys have the large 5th gear and are wroth a bit more coin

after looking around a bit for a dogleg for my l16 for my 510, i came to one conclusion, there is no direct simple list of things i will need for the swap, can anyone give me a simple list? im already guessing a dogleg transmission and a shortened driveshaft...? anything else? im sorry to anyone who reads this and thinks im a absolute idiot and a lazy bum..... =]

your local web idiot,

-red\

Ps, anyone have a working 5 speed in the bay area for decently cheap, please PM me.....

PPS, my tranny blew up yesterday........

The 200sx 5 spd dogleg is exactly the same length as the stock 4 speed. It also has exactly the same gear ratios and an overdrive 5th and the speedo cable is on the same side. The rear mount will need modification but you can use your old drive shaft. The dogleg is capable of easily handling the L16 and capable of the L20B engines. The 620 and 280z/zx 5 speeds are heavier duty though and will need the drive shaft shortened and longer speedo cable on top of the other mods..

Ive had both 280zx and 620 5 speeds in my 510, from what i hear and tested the 620 is better than the 280. I bought my 620 5 speed from a junkyard for 250, if I remember right 77'-80' 620 is a direct bolt on to the L series or at least to an l18 also requires shortening the drive line. If you find a 77 or 78 you may want to open it up and check the nut holding the assembly together to see if its loose, 79 and 80 they changed it to a reverse thread so it doesn't come loose on you.

Here is my 78 620 5 speed

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

The 200sx 5 spd dogleg is exactly the same length as the stock 4 speed. It also has exactly the same gear ratios and an overdrive 5th and the speedo cable is on the same side. The rear mount will need modification but you can use your old drive shaft. The dogleg is capable of easily handling the L16 and capable of the L20B engines. The 620 and 280z/zx 5 speeds are heavier duty though and will need the drive shaft shortened and longer speedo cable on top of the other mods..

ok so cost/effort/reliability sounds like i should get a short tail 5 speed dogleg then. thats exactly what i was looking for. thanks mike. now its finding a SHORT tail locally...... i heard for the modified tranny mount, my buddy was talking about going to kragen and getting a poly GM mount or something like that. i guess it bolts right in to the middle hole or something or other..... any thoughts?

I don't know about the West Coast, but in the SE, everything was crushed during the last steel run up 4-5 years ago. Unless you find one behind someones house, they just don't exist in junk yards any longer. My sister is in the steel industry, about 4 years ago, they sent 4 ship loads of scrap to China, they paid top dollar. I only see Datsun parts getting harder to find in the East.

Ive had both 280zx and 620 5 speeds in my 510, from what i hear and tested the 620 is better than the 280. I bought my 620 5 speed from a junkyard for 250, if I remember right 77'-80' 620 is a direct bolt on to the L series or at least to an l18 also requires shortening the drive line. If you find a 77 or 78 you may want to open it up and check the nut holding the assembly together to see if its loose, 79 and 80 they changed it to a reverse thread so it doesn't come loose on you.

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

The FS5W71B 5 speed came out for the '77 model year and was used in the 620 truck and the 280z car. For '77 and '78 the truck 5 speed was identical to the 280z and first year 280zx 5 speed. Same gearing, same strength. If there was a difference I usually find the fill hole is on the driver's side on the truck and on the pass side for the car. The '79 truck had different gears (wider ratio) and two extra switches besides the reverse.

does anyone know if a wagon tranny will fit in my 510 no problem? i might pick one up today but if its not the same size, i wont get it, can anyone help???

The 510 wagon and sedan 4 speeds will swap perfectly. However, the goon tranny has a wider ratio gear set because of it's intended use for carrying loads. This isn't good or bad it's just something you may notice when driving it. It may feel like you barely get the clutch out and onto the gas and you have to shift into 2nd.

..........Sedan.... Wagon

1st... 3.382...... 3.657

2nd.. 2.013...... 2.117

3rd... 1.312...... 1.419

4th... 1.000...... 1.000

If the sedan has a different rear end ratio than the goon, (I can never remember) swap the speedometer pinion from the old tranny to keep it accurate.While tranny is out, if you have never replaced the release bearing do it now, it's cheap insurance on a high wear difficult to get at part. Also replace the rear seal. they are only $7 and easy to do. This is also cheap insurance against a wet oily driveshaft and a dry tranny!

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

I want some better pic's of the engine stand tranny adapter :cool: