Datsun Dealer license plate frames

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr Big Talks needs a tampon change, or something, sounds like a bitch on the rag to me.

One thing you have to remember is, Mr Big has more money than brains.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update.. okay guys, I know this is getting a little out of hand but I am not even close to done collecting yet. Then again, Jeff's collection still puts mine to shame. And I owe a good portion of these to him!

Santa Ana cost me dearly! And this is the only Canoga Datsun frame I have ever seen. Still searching for a metal HB frame... Also that is also the only variation of the " Do it in a Datsun " frame .

IMG_1947_zps4ec6d54e.jpg

A couple more rarities, Redondo Beach and Datsun Saves. Thank you Jeff!

IMG_1948_zps1c13813b.jpg

More I acquired recently: Costa Mesa, and second variation Universal City with the large lettering.

IMG_1949_zps5624bf47.jpg

Close up of Univ City frames

IMG_1950_zps70a7280c.jpg

Close ups of two of my faves. Unrestored,

IMG_1952_zps8d0e8604.jpg

• 2 months later...

No, only frame I have is a reproduction "Do It In A Datsun" frame... which is worthless to a collector like yourself. 

I used to like right on Pacific Coast Hwy. Hopefully the plan is to buy a house and settle down there eventually. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Collection update: enjoy gents! 

Definitely one of my favorite in my collection, is this pair of Santa Ana, CA frames. Santa Ana is a large metropolitan city that is largely of Hispanic demographic. Once a haven for gangs and and other miscreants, Santa Ana has cleaned up quite a bit in the last few years thanks to grants and efforts to revitalise it. The site of the former Santa Ana Datsun Dealership is now a shitty strip mall complete with a Home Depot and Starbucks Coffee. 

IMG_2955_zpsf983428d.jpg
A close second for favorites is my recently completed pair of Pomona Valley Datsun frames. This city needs no introduction, as it is home to one of the largest classic car events west of the Mississippi. 
IMG_2957_zpsdd6510d0.jpg

Last of my complete sets is this Universal City Datsun license frame set. Morrie Sage was a household name for many years in the LA area as he owned several dealerships all over the greater Los Angeles area. The original Universal City Datsun dealership still stands today overlooking the 101 freeway in Hollywood, CA near the Hollywood Bowl and Universal Studios theme park. This set is a variant, and the more common of the two would be the frame with the smaller " universal city " font. 

IMG_2958_zps2536bde0.jpg

Here are some random favorites of mine. The Datsun Saves frame and plate was acquired from two members of Ratsun and I am eternally grateful to them. This Irvine Datsun frame is one of three that I own. The other two are on the truck that they were born with at Irvine Datsun, CA- which is located about 5 miles from where I live. The dealership still stands at the Irvine Auto Center off the Interstate 5 and 405 freeways in Orange County. This is the only Canoga Datsun license frame I have ever seen, and hence remains a permanent member of my collection. 

IMG_2959_zps58fb39c3.jpg

Here is a small set from some popular Los Angeles dealerships. Gardena frames are relatively common regardless of what " theplateframeking " says. Long Beach frames are sought after due to their proximity to the LA Harbour and San Pedro where just about every Datsun that entered the United States passed through. Torrance Datsun is a nice one to have, as it was home to Datsun headquarters near the 110 freeway near Compton. 

IMG_2962_zpsa978ff0f.jpg

The last of my random sets is out of Orange County also, with the exception of Whittier Sun Datsun. Huntington Beach Dot Datsun was located off of Beach Blvd in HB where what is now a Kia dealership if I'm not mistaken. It is hard to tell if the building is the original building where Datsun stood. Huntington Beach AKA " Surf City " is where I am originally from, and although most of it's sleepy beach town charm has made way for a tourist trap, it will always be home to me. The Orange Datsun dealership also still stands to this day as Stadium Nissan in Orange, CA off the 57 freeway near the Anaheim Stadium. Home to legions of Anaheim Angels " fans " since 2003.

IMG_2963_zpsd66b1bbe.jpg

Two last but not least frames in my collection. I have never been to White Plains, NY- however I found this frame to be very interesting in its shape and mold from other frames I have seen. It is a very sturdy cast and is almost three times the thickness of other frames. This frame is unrestored and is in very nice, seemingly unmounted shape. The " do it " frame is also a variant on the " Do it " theme, and seldom seen in any condition. 

IMG_2964_zps88adbd44.jpg