Datsun Dealer license plate frames

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I want to refinish mine. What is the route to go.

I want it smooth and shiny again like new. What kind of plating?

I want the inset where the lettering is to be textured.

Also, there was hardly any paint left on it. The top lettering was white but I'm not sure about the rest.

Anyone have one or have an idea about the color scheme?

2012-09-20202841.jpg

• Like 1

this is the one I run every day. if you were driving a Datsun here in southwest Oklahoma from about 1979 through the late 1980s chances are it came from this dealer.

121007_0001.jpg

I picked this one up at a local truck salvage:

121007_0003.jpg

the dealership still exists. I repainted the red BTW.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I have a pair of "Downtown Datsun" (which doesn't help unless you know it was Downtown Seattle) that came on my very first KHLA10. When I scrapped the car I kept the frames, one is on my Wagon and I'm not sure where the other is, I think it's still holding one of the Hatchback's plates. My Mom had a pair of Yonker Nissan ones original from 1973. Both are badly faded, one is broken. I had a 70s vintage Jaremko Motors (Spokane) one, but when I went to bend the plate back from being in the way of the spare tire lowering device the plate frame snapped in half.

I have a pair of "Downtown Datsun" (which doesn't help unless you know it was Downtown Seattle) that came on my very first KHLA10. When I scrapped the car I kept the frames, one is on my Wagon and I'm not sure where the other is, I think it's still holding one of the Hatchback's plates. My Mom had a pair of Yonker Nissan ones original from 1973. Both are badly faded, one is broken. I had a 70s vintage Jaremko Motors (Spokane) one, but when I went to bend the plate back from being in the way of the spare tire lowering device the plate frame snapped in half.

Can you post a pic of that Downtown Datsun frame? Looking for a good Seattle-based frame, need to see what the options are...

Don't have a pic, will have to wait until Wednesday and then I'd have to actually remember to shoot a pic of the BACK of the Wagon. The loose one, if I still have it, would be in storage.

What I do know is it's a plain aluminum frame with sitckers, gold background and black letters. I cannot remember if it just says "DOWNTOWN DATSUN" or if it also has SEATTLE on the bottom.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't have a pic, will have to wait until Wednesday and then I'd have to actually remember to shoot a pic of the BACK of the Wagon. The loose one, if I still have it, would be in storage.

What I do know is it's a plain aluminum frame with sitckers, gold background and black letters. I cannot remember if it just says "DOWNTOWN DATSUN" or if it also has SEATTLE on the bottom.

Any update?

I want to refinish mine. What is the route to go?

I want it smooth and shiny again, like new. What kind of plating?

I want the inset where the lettering is to be textured.

Also, there was hardly any paint left on it. The top lettering was white but I'm not sure about the rest.

Anyone have one or have an idea about the color scheme?

2012-09-20202841.jpg

Can Anyone point me in the right direction?

You can use HB weld to fill In deep pitting. Then wait for it to dry hard. Then use enamel paint over the welded areas. License frames are made from low melting point pot metal and for this reason cannot be spot welded. For light to moderate oxidation you can hand sand it it use a dremel with polishing wheel. Some say you can have them rechromed, but I have not tried this. And for you observant folks, yes I only sanded and repainted this. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word " restored ". But it sure looks a lot better than before.

• Like 1

I also had one bead blasted before and that works great to remove oxidation. After that, any remaining metal should polish up nicely with mothers polish. I also recommend Moon Eyes " one shot " striping paint for touch ups and paint jobs. If you do not have a textured background, then the only way is to engrave it yourself! Most frames came with a textured background to work with and with (these) I recommend using a blaster. For more info on the best way to blast, rent the 1978 film " Laserblast " and you'll find everything you need to know.

Hello guys! I'm restoring a Blue 1971 Series 1 240z. I'm looking for a license plate frame from Camino Datsun in Sunnyvale, CA, where the car was originally purchased from back in 1970. Hopefully, it will be the finishing touch on a fully stock car...just like it drove out of the dealership! Do you guys know where I can find one?

Hello guys! I'm restoring a Blue 1971 Series 1 240z. I'm looking for a license plate frame from Camino Datsun in Sunnyvale, CA, where the car was originally purchased from back in 1970. Hopefully, it will be the finishing touch on a fully stock car...just like it drove out of the dealership! Do you guys know where I can find one?

Contact the guy a few posts above you... He's holding one.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...