New to the 521 crew!

DatWifey

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i bet one of his workers , labored a while on the part he told you i dropped off ,,, but notice the really straight pan on his truck?? Or was it conveniantly " being worked on at home "   when you were there.. You know when you put,, what.,,,, maybe 3 miles on a vehicle back and forth to work they wear out so quick.

• Like 1

lol ...naner is getting what i am putting down.....we are fine....him and i's humor is so opposite its tough to tell when we are joking and when we are fighting .... u would know if we were fighting he would statuts up date..."  some dumb ratsuner just lawn jobbed my yard with the word noj saw ereh and toilet papered my junk pile with snot tissues.....dafuq"....... :poke:

• Like 1

Not sure who that is but,, if you think this is disjointed you should have seen me around 2003. lol

tumblr_lxx9lgwYvG1r6com4o1_500_zpsb386fb

Dude, I knew Dr. Phil was a smoker with all that sh!t he talks!!!!

• 7 months later...

Well, life has been busy, and we've been broke as hell with Brody in grad school.  So, it's been a long while since there's been any significant work on any of our cars.  I've just been daily driving this for the past year and a half or so, and a week and a half ago it finally had some issues one morning on my way to work.  It started overheating about a mile and a half into the trip, and was blowing a bit of white smoke out the tailpipe.  Brody suspected possibly a failing water pump and the obvious of a blown head gasket.  Last weekend we started digging in to swap the water pump and put in a new head gasket, but that all changed once Brody noticed this pulley not looking how it should

9A26B2A5-684F-4638-8D7A-07BB88E53CD7_zps

Once we pulled the radiator, we saw a little more.  This bolt was MIA.  I have no idea when it might have fallen out....

42CC0EE8-3E8E-4762-9F75-B88C8DC766C4_zps

Pulled the pulley off

C865727A-FBFD-4652-8169-87136BC02973_zps

Yep, time to change directions and finish rebuilding the L20 that's been waiting in the wings and just swap that and the dogleg 5-speed in. 

We pulled the L16 and 4-speed last Sunday, and Brody tore the motor down throughout the week.  I had taken a couple pics, but accidentally deleted them like a dumbass.  Sure enough, there was coolant in one of the cylinders.

• 3 weeks later...

Picture progress time.  Jeff came over to help out a bit, and offer moral support while Brody read his manuals for all of the steps and torque specs. We're almost there :w00t:

E3414597-4030-4F2D-B685-4E302AAF4B93_zps

0422B0C6-4FB2-4517-83CC-B1FECC9001A8_zps

C72DB451-045C-43C6-B999-802A2B3D8CA8_zps

57EC83BD-831B-41F2-A358-C6B73823A748_zps

282F77FD-C041-4664-A484-0329C3F11A0F_zps

8938C48E-2399-48FC-AA56-66E3F7308BC2_zps

9F1CECDD-614C-40F3-859B-C5B8A664398F_zps

126ED085-348C-4B09-B712-0388FECFCD6A_zps

D838D0E6-C0A3-4D0C-A619-47578611504C_zps

Got the one-piece driveline in last night, Brody got the tranny mount modified and fitted up, and hopefully we'll be on to firing it up soon

• Like 2

This picture is not right.  The spacer ring under the crank bolts belongs on the crankshaft when running an automatic transmission not with a clutch flywheel. The fing actually goes on the end of the crankshaft and then the flex plate then a flat ring with the crank bolts going through all 3 pieces for an automatic set up. your crank bolts will not stay tight.

282F77FD-C041-4664-A484-0329C3F11A0F_zps

Thanks Michael!  It wasn't exactly how we were planning for it all to go down, but I'm excited to get it all buttoned up and finally have it in.  Now to get it any kinks worked out and get the EFI swapped in someday.... maybe within a year or so at the pace we go :)

Charlie, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking at, but it's just a one-piece, solid flywheel on there.  No spacers anywhere.

Thanks Michael!  It wasn't exactly how we were planning for it all to go down, but I'm excited to get it all buttoned up and finally have it in.  Now to get it any kinks worked out and get the EFI swapped in someday.... maybe within a year or so at the pace we go :)

Charlie, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking at, but it's just a one-piece, solid flywheel on there.  No spacers anywhere.

Charlie is having his left eye worked on today(cataracts), and in a couple weeks the other eye, then he might notice the guy flipping him off, maybe he thought the guy was pointing at the flywheel. :lol:

Wayno is correct about my eyes.  It looks like there is a plate between the fly wheel bolts and the flywheel to me.  If there is no plate bettweethe flywheel bolt heads and the fly wheel then disregard my earlier post.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well, I have put about 3,000 miles on the motor thus far, and it's been fucking awesome!  Adjusting the timing shortly after it got back on the road, and that's been about it aside from a couple oil changes. 

Finally took it for a longer freeway drive to Canby yesterday and it ran perfectly there an back.  Now to get the fire lit under Brody's ass to get the EFI in there someday :devil:

Took us a while, but we finally drilled out a bolt that was broken off in the valance from Bananahammock, and got it retapped.  Retapped all the other nuts since the PO had a different size screw in each hole around the truck on the last valance, and got it put on the night before Old School Reunion.

I would put my front bumper back on, but I'm pretty sure the PO had a minor front-end collision, and it seemed to actually put a 'tear' in one of the bumper brackets.  When we removed them during the engine rebuild process, I sandblasted them down and Brody welded up the partially torn one, but also hammered back into shape a little.... well, that slight reshaping is making it pretty much impossible to line my brackets up with the holes in the frame again.  :sneaky:    I will get back to it another day when I give a shit again.  Thanks again to Andrew for the valance, and to Jon for powdercoating it!

59A584D6-135A-4B63-BCA6-0064148EF0F7_zps

A pic that some dude took of it at Old School Reunion last Sunday

521atOldSchool_zps6e41e19b.jpg

• Like 1

You guys looked for 85 celica parts for my son all the way up in Bumfuck Egypt so it wasn't like i completely gave that front pan to you,, as driving up to find out the Celicas were hatchbacks would have be major cash in gas,, with no reward.

:) :)

When did it get a 5speed?? I thought when we all hauled ass to Bluelake it was 4speed like my car.

You guys looked for 85 celica parts for my son all the way up in Bumfuck Egypt so it wasn't like i completely gave that front pan to you,, as driving up to find out the Celicas were hatchbacks would have be major cash in gas,, with no reward.

:) :)

When did it get a 5speed?? I thought when we all hauled ass to Bluelake it was 4speed like my car.

I still appreciate it... no matter if I did look once or twice at a local yard by me ;)

Got the 5-speed with the L20 swap, so just a month or so ago.  I just drove the 4-speed like it was a 5 sometimes.  To be honest, the 4-speed did fine at speeds upwards of 70, I just usually tried to keep it around 65 to not push it too much.

Truck looked good Jen! It was cool to meet you.

Thanks dude!  I'm glad you tracked me down, as it was great to finally meet you as well :)  I was half wondering if you would remember it.... you seemed (and smelled) a little shitfaced :lol:

• Like 1