The time has come!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a oil plug... for a hole that runs front to back in the block... but its driver side.

That might be it then. I dont really remember the oil plug. I had a fel pro gasket and seal kit that I used so if it wasnt in there I may have missed it. The oil pressure may have just pushed it out on the passenger side if thare was a little openeing. I guess Im pulling the tranny and clutch out tomorrow!

So it looks like I found where the oil is coming from. I didn't plug that hole in the pic on the right. So this whole goes all the way through huh? That means I probably didnt pug the other side either! What size plugs are those? Are they like the freeze plugs or are they solid? If I dont plug the front one will my oil pressure not be right?

IMAG0380.jpg

How to build your datsun engine book said to just tap and use a threaded plug. You dont need to remove those plugs, like ever, but it does help when the block gets hot tanked. There is a front one under the timing cover. I do believe it goes all the way through. I would plug it, as that is how it left the factory.

• 2 weeks later...

well shit. I forgot about the one little bolt behind the oil pump and was just wiggling it off and it fuckin cracked. So I need a timing cover. Anyone have one? Preferably one that belongs on an l18? I have someone else I can get one from but I cant talk to him until at least tuesday. The sooner the better.

K well I got a timing cover. Got both oil holes plugged and was making 60 psi for oil pressure. I was breaking in the engine and noticeing the exhaust was a little more smokey then I'm used to but I was just letting it burn off. Then I notice the rpms falling and the enging bogging down so I shut it off. Then it wouldn't fucking turn over! I couldn't do it manually by the crank bolt either. It was seized up!!! So today I tore it all apart and The thrust bearing was turned. Looked like it wasn't getting any oil. All black under it with chunks of bearing material baked to the crank. There was also way too much oil in the cylenders. Too much for even breaking in the rings. So Im pretty sure I know what happened. I don't think the pilot bushing is far enough in which is pushing the crank forward in the block and seizing up against the thrust bearing, turning it, blocking the oiler hole and also keeping the riings from seating due to the crank not being able to float at all. So once again with this cursed car, FMMFL.

Anyway, when you install your pilot bushing do you knock it in all the way in or leave it flush?

• 2 months later...

Darrel- the plugs that go in the front and rear of the block looked like freeze plugs. So not very long. They just hammered in.

Hainz- yeah it definitely looked that way. The oil pump was primed. Almost looked like the bearing was upside down. Really beats me. I still haven't figured out what caused it.

Got my LED dash lights! Should be pretty cool

IMAG0434.jpg

and some LEDs for the brake lights/turn signals

IMAG0435.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i haven't popped open my gauges to check but are the lights just the kind to pop off and replaceable with the LED's??? 

-Rob

So I got my grill and trim pieces I had powder coated and headlights all put on

photo-6.jpg

Powder coated tail light trim

photo-7.jpg

Black pillar vents

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

VDO tach in dash

photo-5.jpg

Passenger seat in and testing out the center console. Still more to cut off to get it to fit right

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Engine bay pic. Working on the wiring. It'll all get cleaned up

photo.jpg

• 1 month later...

Its getting close to being finished. I took it for its first drive last weekend which was really super exciting for me. Just gotta get the rest of the wiring done and dial in the timing and carb and whatever comes up in order to make it reliable.

My distributor vacuum advance on my L18 is bad and its not available. Anyone have one for me or know where I can get one?

• Like 1