DD/Track KA Powered 4 Door 510

a leaky valve is a leaky valve. you only have 4 cylinders, if one of them isn't getting full combustion, then you're going to be down on power a lot,. hell, you could be down on power up to 25% across the entire power band.

if port matching is your only mod, then go get it dynoed and compare it with stock numbers. that'll let you know what the gains are (+- the standard error of whatever dyno  you're using)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to think about this for a while... I confused myself the other day.  The one valve may not have been opening 100%, but it wasn't actually leaking.  The valve seat fell out a bit, got crooked and got stuck.  It lost all compression in that cylinder.  Up until that point, the engine ran super smooth and it was quiet.  There were no marks on the piston and the valve was still straight... there's no way it could have been falling out and tapped back in by the piston like I originally was thinking lol.

Intake/header/exhaust and port matching are the only mods done to this KA.  Stock internals, stock cams.  It has custom drilled cam gears to advance both cams 4 degrees to compensate for the head and block resurfacing.  Right now, obviously I'm just going by how the engine felt before and after.  There's a lot more power up top now, like it was restricted before.  There was no reason to rev it past 5500... power just fell off a cliff.  Now it pulls hard to 6k and power slowly drops off past that.  The intake manifold and ports on the head are pretty small stock... we took off quite a bit of material just to match the gaskets.

We still need to dial in the cam gears, and gasket match the throttle body.  And I think the injectors are close to being maxed out...

Running against my dad's Mazdaspeed 3... before the port matching that thing would dust the 510 once we hit 4th gear, now it doesn't catch up until the 510 is well into 5th gear way past the 1/4 mile mark... and even when it catches up it struggles to actually get past the 510.  I just don't see anything else we did causing that much of a difference in power.  Anyone who has driven a Speed 3 knows once you get those into high gear they are quick as hell.  Mazda designed them in a wind tunnel! lol

Dyno is the plan.  When? I don't know.

A 75 shot of nitrous would be awesome...

A cheap T25 running 10psi and a custom side mount intercooler would be awesome.  The only real expensive part is Nistune, and that's not really in the budget right now.  Someday though, for sure... for now I just want to get the n/a KA dialed in and get the suspension dialed in on a track.  Can't do much with the pos tires that are mounted right now. :P

I have a long list of things that need to be done... paint is pretty high up on that list.  It's starting to warm up finally, but still too cold at night... paint soon though. :)

ohhh well if you've got the head and block decked that's going to up your compression ratio, AND you're running cam timing changes, which is probably why you are seeing power shifted to the top end. 

those two mods are definitely worth mentioning haha 

thanks for clearing up the info about the valve too. it's all making sense now

We had the block resurfaced, but I'm not sure if the head that's on there now has ever been resurfaced.  The previous head was definitely resurfaced.  Probably not enough to seriously mess with the CR but I'm sure it's a little bit higher than stock right now.

We drilled the cam gears a while ago when we rebuilt the bottom end, and they haven't been messed with since then.  The cam timing is still off a bit I'm sure of it... eventually when I have a free weekend we're going to spend some time getting that dialed in.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This project is finally nearing completion.... 

Q1k4oC3.jpg

Plastidip experiment... now my Panasports look like Rotas. doh!  Good thing I have Panasport centercaps.... :D

FBeS8KJ.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the comments and advice.  I may not respond to everyone but we see every post as motivation.  Much appreciated!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Oops, I thought I posted more pics of the paintjob... guess not. :(  Sorry!

4Caoz8e.jpg

xldbbeG.jpg

xqax8Qo.jpg

jndYV79.jpg

mOMfbXD.jpg

8Jn4vc3.jpg

rFIszUk.jpg

My buddy just picked up a white 240z, will get some pics of the two cars together sometime this summer.  I'm not done with school til the end of June.  :(  

I finally got this thing out on a track :D  I ran with NCRC Racing at Thunderhill.

There's just one thing I need to get done before I track it again...

Rear disc brakes.  280ZX front brakes with Carbotech XP8 track pads don't work too well with stock rear drums that I forgot to adjust the day before.   I have Maxima calipers in the garage, I just need brackets, flexible brake lines and pads.  Still, even without brake ducts, the front brakes never overheated despite doing pretty much all of the work.  If anything, they had more grip at the end of the sessions.  Might have something to do with the fact that 280ZX's are much heavier than this.  After my last session, the front wheels were so hot the Plastidip was actually bubbling...

Other than that, the car took the 110 degree weather like a champ!  Not to mention I drove the car to the track and back home, 3 hours one way.

The grip these Dunlop DZ101s (400 treadwear rating) had really surprised me and the car was pretty balanced.  Little bit of understeer at the limits but a little less rear toe-in will fix that.  I definitely could have driven the car harder but it's still my daily driver and this was my first track day.  Last thing I wanted to do was spin or go off track.

Here's the video of my final session.  Little bit of a pucker moment at 7:00...

Some pics...

http://gotbluemilk.com/web130607/1/index.html

http://gotbluemilk.com/web130607/61/index.html

• Like 3