DD/Track KA Powered 4 Door 510

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, it's still got the L16 in it, haven't even gotten to the actual building part of the L20 yet. It's still got some mystery electrical problems that are unsolved, didn't want to drive it that far on a questionable battery and alternator.

You did well though, beat those BRZs that showed up in my run group, made me happy to see the 510s romping all over the new guys

Wagon definitely looked good out there, just needs powa! ;)

I have no idea what times other people were running, hard to gauge my performance. Still, wheeled the hell out of that thing all things considered. With slightly softer rear springs and a set of sticky tires... I'd easily have been 3-4 seconds quicker today. Stock 280ZX brake pads don't work too well either... I nearly went off course after the 3rd gear straight on my first run. I have a set of track pads but no Autocross pads.... lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2TPvr.jpg

KbCim.jpg

Vzy58.jpg

Less than 20k miles on this rebuilt head... stuff happens I guess.  I bought another KA a while ago that was in good shape and running when it was taken apart.  120k miles on the head, never been rebuilt.  We'll be freshening up that head today... car should be back on the road tomorrow.  While we have everything apart we'll be gasket matching the intake manifold and doing some cleanup work to the head.

• 2 weeks later...

Ppp08.jpg

Tsbrl.jpg

Back together.  The gasket matching and portwork to the head + intake manifold made a huge difference.  It's been a while since this car has given me an adrenaline rush while driving in a straight line :D

Just needs a clutch, tires and a 5 point harness, then it will be ready for track days....

• Like 1

Dunno.. we've been talking about that quite a bit.  How much of a power increase does it take to "feel" a difference?  10?  20?  There's noticeably more power all around... more than I was expecting.  It spins the tires off idle now...   :confused:   Before the portwork, there was no wheelspin at all whatsoever in 1st gear.

It will definitely be on a dyno next month, so we'll find out then.

Flyby we took tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been wanting to corner weight my 510 so I borrowed my buddy's scales. Corner weights and crossweight are great without driver, this car is obviously straight and very square.  Good news! 

Things are a little off with me in the driver's seat.  Nothing I can do about that right now... eventually I would like to install a weight jacker setup for the rear suspension.  Until then things are going to stay how they are.  I doubt I would notice a difference between 50% and 50.9% crossweight on the street or at an autocross event.  On a track... maybe.

Does anyone know the weight distribution for a typical L series 510?

1st pic is without driver.  50% crossweight.

2nd pic is with driver.  50.9% crossweight.

3rd pic is with driver.  55.6% weight distribution.

JHFqcjJ.jpg

b5Us601.jpg

Ie8JXGT.jpg

• Like 1
I've been wanting to corner weight my 510 so I borrowed my buddy's scales. Corner weights and crossweight are great without driver, this car is obviously straight and very square.  Good news! 

Things are a little off with me in the driver's seat.  Nothing I can do about that right now... eventually I would like to install a weight jacker setup for the rear suspension.  Until then things are going to stay how they are.  I doubt I would notice a difference between 50% and 50.9% crossweight on the street or at an autocross event.  On a track... maybe.

Does anyone know the weight distribution for a typical L series 510?

1st pic is without driver.  50% crossweight.

2nd pic is with driver.  50.9% crossweight.

3rd pic is with driver.  55.6% weight distribution.

JHFqcjJ.jpg

b5Us601.jpg

Ie8JXGT.jpg

aww this takes me back .....had access to a set of these for awhile fun little tool to mess with...like the fly by vid.....makes me wanna dig my dohc out

Sweet thread great car. Look like what I want to do but I don't think mine will be a daily. Just a fun track car. I'm in ca to if you know anyone getting rid of one in a month or so let me know. Gotta wait for the tax return.

dude this is he third thread i seen u in... just hit the for sale threads and craigs list ....u will find one ...use search tempest .....it will aid in casting a bigger net..

Dunno.. we've been talking about that quite a bit.  How much of a power increase does it take to "feel" a difference?  10?  20?  There's noticeably more power all around... more than I was expecting.  It spins the tires off idle now...   :confused:   Before the portwork, there was no wheelspin at all whatsoever in 1st gear.

i think you should conclude that maybe the extra power is due to having all the valves working properly. who knows how long you were driving with the cylinder being low on power due to the valve issue.

• Like 2
i think you should conclude that maybe the extra power is due to having all the valves working properly. who knows how long you were driving with the cylinder being low on power due to the valve issue.

Maybe... I don't think it was THAT bad though.  Looks like the valve seat was going in and out for a while.  I don't really see one leaky valve causing that much loss in power.  I have ridden in a few 240s and none of them pulled like this at high rpm.