• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Some updates...

Finally switched over to rear discs, and installed a rear panel/speaker hole cover.  We should have done that sooner... the fuel pump noise was driving us nuts!  

'86 Maxima rear calipers

Caliper rebuild kit

New brake hardware

Stock pads, Centric brand

'82 200SX rotors, Centric brand

'96 Quest rear wheel studs

Custom brackets

Total budget build but it works great.  This setup goes well with the 280ZX front brakes and 15/16" Master cylinder.  Carbotech can make race pads for these.  Probably pricey like the 280zx track pads I got from them, but they'll last quite some time on a car this light.  The rotors are 9 lbs each... pretty thick too.  Little heavy... but eh, fine for the street.  Later when the car is more track oriented we'll design a set of light 2 piece rotors or something.

BM689hJ.jpg

jIZ0tv2.jpg

DjKUPMF.jpg

UO6Dm3k.jpg

ttUFXFG.jpg

5YpQzsP.jpg

• 1 month later...
AutoX today went well.  Didn't get to play with the new rear brake setup much, but finally got the rear spring rate where it needs to be.  First run group of the day, and it was a real cold morning.  It started to warm up throughout my run group, each run I had more grip than the last.  Real happy with the performance of these 300 tread wear Dunlops :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Mazdaspeed 3 dyno'ed at 280/301 to the wheels.  The 510 had some issues running way lean up top... we've spent the last couple weeks going through everything and we've fixed quite a bit.  The TPS and coolant temp sensor circuits share a ground, and with the key on the ground wasn't sufficient.  Seeing as the TPS and coolant temp sensor largely affect how the engine runs, I think we fixed a pretty serious issue just right there.  Got a Walbro 255lph in there now too.  It's still going lean up top but nowhere near as bad... stays rich down low til 3400 rpm then leans out.  AFR is 14.0-14.4 at 6k rpm. I guess all these mods and gasket matching is too much for the stock tune. Time for Nistune yo.

Lesson learned... even if your shit seems to run good, there could still be something wrong.  Check your grounds! 

510 will be back on the dyno sometime in January.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ox9d9niAYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EolJG8q4tY8

Z6lAccm.jpg

Ordered an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and got that installed yesterday.  Doin what we can to fix the lean condition at high rpm.  Right now the fuel pressure is at ~55psi, AFR is 13.8 at idle and 13.2 at WOT.  Cruising, the o2 sensor does its job and controls AFR just fine.

z5EjePv.jpg 

Now to get this thing back on the dyno...

Laguna Seca in 3 weeks.  ;D  Track pads for the Maxima calipers will be here this week.

I'm done putting money into this thing for a while, just need to finish up the interior.  Another seat, harness, sound deadener and carpet... Prob will get another set of wheels and tires for track only use soon as well.  Then I'll call it good. 

Later down the road... r180 lsd with custom cv axles, along with a turbo build.  At this time we'll be pulling the engine and tearing it down to tap the oil pan... while there it's getting a windage tray, crank scraper and new lower timing cover/oil pump. 

6AQ0n8l.jpg

TzEbBmX.jpg

I've been running Amsoil for a while... love this stuff!

Laguna Seca in 13 days.... hurry up already.  Track pads are going on next weekend.  Carbotech's 280ZX pads stopped the car pretty damn well in 117 degree weather with stock drums, I can't wait to see what it's like with 4 wheel disc and good pads.

• 2 weeks later...