DD/Track KA Powered 4 Door 510

So after autocrossing my dad's '06 Mazda 3s I just had to get a nice car for myself. My Protege has no potential at all...

I wanted a smog exempt car so I was looking at pre-1975 cars. I was originally going to get a 240Z but remembered 510s and figured a 510 would handle better and be more fun overall. It actually has back seats too lol.

My dad and I have been looking for a nice 510 for a while.... nothing but beaters and abused 510s on Craigslist though. I decided to post a WTB ad, got an email from some guy selling a really nice 510 who ended up flaking on us about 5 times over the course of 2 weeks. Then I got an email from the previous owner of this 510. I wanted to find something mostly stock and simple so I could do all the work myself, but the more I thought about it the more I wanted something fuel injected. Had my dad call this guy up and 20 minutes later we decided we wanted it, without even seeing a picture of it lol. It's still a project, previous owner just got something else to work on and figured I needed or wanted it more than him. But all of the hard work and expensive stuff is done, all that is left is really stuff that is going to take time more than it will take money.

Paid $2500

-Rebuilt KA24DE Engine

-5-Speed Manual Trans 240 SX

-New Short Throw Shifter

-New HD Clutch/Lightened Flywheel

-New Clutch Slave/Master Cylinders

-KA24DE Engine Swap Kit (Urethane Engine Mounts, Trans Mount, and Custom Sway Bar to fit oil pan

-KA24DE ECU (Auto Trans) Complete Wiring Harness, MAF

New Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends, Aftermarket Strut Rods, Rebuilt Idler Arm

-280 Front Struts, cut and modified for 510 w/ 250 Lb Aftermarket Springs

-New GR2 Front Strut Cartridges

-New Coil Over Front Shocks

-New Front Camber Plates

-New Front Valance

-Fuel Tank Professionally Modified to fit the 240 SX Fuel Pump

-New Fuel Lines

-New Brake Master Cylinder

-New Steel Braided Brake Lines

-New Front Brake Calipers/Pads

-New Rear Wheel Cylinders/Shoes

-New Rear Brake Drums and Pads

-New VW Radiator

-New Header modified for Smog Exempt Car (2 1/2" Collector)

-Rear Plate Modified for 2 1/2" Exhaust

-Subaru LSD Differential with 3.70 Gears

-New Rear Axle U-Joints

-New Panasport 15x7 Wheels

-New 195-60-15 Tires

-New Front Wheel Bearings

-New Aftermarket Lowering Springs in Rear

-New O2 Sensor

-New Spark Plugs

-New Distributor Cap and Rotor

Needs:

Engine/Body Wired

Exhaust Finished

Radiator Mounted and finish cooling system

Heater Core

Driveshaft Shortened for 5-speed

Slot rear control arms for Toe adjustment

Alignment

Carpet

Ignition Switch

Minor body work/priming

Minor interior work

Finish installing brake lines/bleed brake system

Custom Intake system

Spark Plug Wires

Windshield

Front Bumper

Fuel Filter Installed

Finish Fuel Lines in Engine Bay

new4.jpg

new5.jpg

new6.jpg

new9.jpg

new10.jpg

new2.jpg

new8.jpg

new7.jpg

new3.jpg

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to get started on this project! (although most work is already done) I always wanted one when I was a teenager, but never got one...:( Now, I guess I am living the dream through my son!:)

Any help with the wiring up the KA24DE would be appreciated.

Help/Tips on other mods we need/should do also would be appreciated! We will keep you guys up to date on the build, and take a bunch more pics when it gets here Saturday!:D

Any cheap mods for the KA24DE engine? It will have a Header, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla or Magnaflow Muffler, and a CAI...

Congrats Uber! I think this will be a GREAT project for us and be a SWEET running, looking, and handling car when we are done!:cool:

Did we do ok on the $2500 price???

We got a LOT of stuff! An ASE Certified Master Tech (like me) rebuilt the engine/head minus machine work, and all other work on car was done right! Quite a bit of New parts!

We looked at a few beaters before coming across this one.

got it started last night :) wiring is temporary... now we pull the wiring and engine, seam weld the engine bay and body then the engine goes back in. all of the wiring gets soldered and installed permanently. should all be done within a few days, and then the hardest part of this project = DONE! everything else that needs to be done is EZ PZ... especially compared to this electrical clusterfuck lol.

We'll get some pics of how it currently sits today :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long, but here are some pics! There are a LOT of pics so I'm gonna post a few here. The rest are on our Photobucket which is public. http://s559.photobuc...510%204%20Door/

The wiring is obviously temporary... we just wanted to make sure the engine and all of the sensors and stuff works, which it does. The radiator is also temporary, we have a nice radiator with a shroud and 2 fans on the way. Next we pull the engine and seam weld the engine bay.

engine2.jpg

engine9.jpg

wiring.jpg

wiring2.jpg

wiring3.jpg

tranny.jpg

under.jpg

rfsuspension.jpg

engineleft.jpg

insidebubba2.jpg

inside.jpg

floor.jpg

dash.jpg

main.jpg

side.jpg

tank.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't been keeping everyone updated... we've been gettin work done on the car but nothing that really can be shown through pics. Here's what we've been up to.....

Been makin a few trips to Pick N Pulls for stuff here and there. Picked up a Magnaflow muffler for 20 bucks.... it was just sitting in the back of a 300ZX. It's just the right size and everything... saved at least 100 bucks right there! :D My radiator came in from eBay, got that mounted up today. We almost ditched the shroud since it's such a tight fit, but I'm positive once we're ready to permanently put everything back together there won't be clearance issues. In the pics it looks like it's hitting the pulley, but it isn't ;)

Also picked up an Autopower rollcage. I originally wanted to make my own cage and have it so that people could still sit in the back seats, but I realized that would be fairly tough to do, I don't want to skimp on a rollcage. We're probably going to weld this one in, and there will be bars on the driver and passenger's side of the cage for safety. Picked up the rollcage for $250, it is fairly old but still functions just fine. Before we install it I'm going to check NASA and SCCA rules on cages and make this meet their requirements if I can.

I got the differential out just to make sure it was a limited slip since my dad and I couldn't get the sides to spin separately. Sho'nuff it's a freshly rebuilt 3.7 LSD. If anyone maybe has a 3.9 LSD and want to trade... let me know.

radiator2.jpg

radiator1.jpg

radiator3.jpg

rollcage1.jpg

rollcage2.jpg

rollcage3.jpg

rollcage5.jpg

muffler.jpg

lsd.jpg

• Like 1

We just decided to bolt the full cage in and add some door bars. Crawling over door bars won't really bother me that much and we aren't going to put them TOO high. We were originally going to run lap and shoulder seatbelts but decided to just get street harnesses for the driver's seat and passenger's seat. I'm also going to pick up some high quality padding for the cage and put it everywhere on the front portion of the cage.

Got the rear crossmember out today... gonna be slotting that and replacing bushings. My new header should be here tomorrow... gonna see how well that fits. Hopefully it fits better than the one that's on it now, which is at the wrong angle and is hitting the floor underneath the driver's seat. The header I ordered is much shorter... should work out great. As soon as we figure out the header, engine is coming out and seam welding commences. Rain is coming tomorrow though so it's time to clean up again and cover the car up :(

• Like 1