DD/Track KA Powered 4 Door 510

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Popped these Cusco motor mounts in today... not sure if I want to use their solid transmission mount or find a poly transmission mount.

The vibration at idle sucks ass... my front bumpers are rattling against the fenders, the trunk lid is rattling, the windows are rattling, and I need to add a 3rd mounting bracket to my wink mirror.  Above 1300 rpm the vibration is hardly noticeable.

lz4yGdA.jpg

moWbyxP.jpg

My buddy brought his new Focus ST over and we went for a short drive today... had a little bit of fun.  Neither of us can get traction in 1st or 2nd.. so when we raced, it came down to whoever could get into 3rd and get traction first. lolz.  I think these two cars are pretty evenly matched in the dry, hoping for some dry weather next weekend so we can see what's up :P  

5Kq2YaS.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thunderhill videos!  Didn't have a single issue all day and the KA loved the cool weather.  The bigger front sway bar solved the issue where I was rolling over the tires way too much and I was able to drop the tire pressures from 34 psi cold to 30 :D  Much much better!  Car was a liiiittle pushy through T2-T6, time for moar front camber and caster.

A lot of sessions were cut short due to people going off track and getting stuck, then not having any tow hooks on their car.  smh.  There was a $250k Porsche stuck on the outside of Turn 3, it took them a good 45 minutes to pull him out.  I was running in Advanced for moar track time.

3 hour drive to the track, I got ~25 mpg cruising at 80 :D

Saw a bunch of photographers out there so I'm waiting for some pics to show up...

End of December and we had a dry track day... got to love California sometimes.  The Gopro split the videos up into 2GB files and I don't feel like combining them... sorry lol.

Fresh ZL1 with paper plates in the wall... ouch.

XVZvo6u.jpg
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Picked up a new daily, which means the 510 can finally sit while I do a bunch of stuff to it.  Yussss.

Next to my dad's Speed 3. 

1ZNZTk9.jpg

510 is getting more camber, caster, (DP Camber plates and custom offset front control arm bushings) new front rotors, brake ducts, window seals and CV axles.  Some small things here and there...

Hoping to make it to Buttonwillow in May... ever since they repaved that track I've been dying to drive it! 

• Like 2

Picked up a new daily, which means the 510 can finally sit while I do a bunch of stuff to it.  Yussss.

Next to my dad's Speed 3. 

1ZNZTk9.jpg

510 is getting more camber, caster, (DP Camber plates and custom offset front control arm bushings) new front rotors, brake ducts, window seals and CV axles.  Some small things here and there...

Hoping to make it to Buttonwillow in May... ever since they repaved that track I've been dying to drive it! 

You guys leaking coolant already  :rofl:

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the CVs together....  nothing has gone smooth with this project :(  They are the same part # as the Ratsun guide for VW Vanagan Type II CVs, yet the axles are a bit different.  Dutchman had issues and had to write a whole new program.  The female splined pieces slide off and on the axle a bit too easily... I seem to remember them being pressed on from the factory???  I don't have a stepped shoulder for the splined washers...  The bolts that came with the adapters are too long...  BLAH.  I'll be happy when these are done and in the car.

IX3Qk06.jpg

75P7wdc.jpg

Pieced it together.  VW Vanagan Type II axles with Matt N Dew's adapters.  Have ~$500 into the setup.  

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/8502-installing-mattndews-510-cv-axle-adapters/ 

I'm soooooo tired of swapping u joints and I was really just too low for u joints.  They were noisy but somehow held up to the track abuse :p 

My only issue is I can't use the company equipment to shortened the shafts and spline them, and I hate paying some one to something I can do with the equipment.

You have the equipment to respline axles? I suppose it could be done on a lathe with the right tool... I tried to do it at work but when I got a quote from Dutchman I said F it and sent the axles out to them.

• 1 month later...

Went out to Buttonwillow this weekend... fun track!  Really plays to the strengths of this 510...  Still needing that extra bit of camber and caster, but the push wasn't as bad here as it was at Thunderhill.  The CVs held up, and damn what an improvement over the stock axles.  Super smooth!  4th gear spins up much quicker now too.

As usual, the Gopro battery died just as the action was getting good :(  My buddy was also driving the 510 so the Gopro had double duty, I should've brought an extra battery pack.  I also F'd up the angle of the Gopro, as I always do haha....  

In Session 4 after the battery died, I was having fun playing with that yellow Mustang for a couple laps then he pointed me by, and I went after a pretty fast E30.  Had a couple big slides playing at and beyond the limits :D

I'm going to try to run Laguna in 2 weeks... need to find someone willing to give up their spot as the event is already sold out lol.  I also have a buyer lined up for the car, we've agreed on a price that I think is pretty fair.  It's a good friend of mine who I know will build the car to the level I always wanted to.  Just waiting for him to get the $$ together.  It's been fun playing with the 510, just time for me to move on and start racing for real.  Not much I can do with a 510 except... vintage?  

My buddy was going to carry my tires and everything else for me but had to back out at the last minute :\  Good thing I have this newly acquired Mazda 3 hatchback to use as a race tire transporter :P  Had my other buddy drive that for me.  Got pulled over en route to the track for drafting the 3 in the 510 lol... told the police officer I was just trying to save gas.  She was not amused. 

Our first two sessions were cut short due to tards going off track and crashing blah blah blah. Unbelievable how many people were going off in session 1, and even lap 1 of their first two sessions.

h9UQVEp.jpg

• Like 3