box flared 510, SR install

Icehouse

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't have time to write anything early so now I will :) Agusto dropped his car off at franks today so we can start installing a SR non turbo. Frank pulled the SR out of the front clip yesterday and is doing some cleaning around his place so we can get started. We told him will will try and have it done it 2 weeks. Hey it could happen :) the good thing about this car is its a driver, so we shouldn't really have to mess with anything besides the engine :) He did say some of the wiring needs to be looked at.

What happening to the engine that is in it???. ALso Jeff...does that car have a full roll cage....There was a red box flare for sale by my parents house several years ago...and boy that look just like it....The kid was a little rich kid and his dad bought it for him then he screwed it up and couldnt get it to run. So he decided to sell it...I remember looking at it, in fact I almost traded my 620 excab for it....But I am not a mechanic...He had a full roll cage, like it had niuce racing seats and a built Lseries....Just curious...Let me know what is up with the Lseries that is in the car does he have plans for it....

Hey Ice, in your opinion, how does the NA S15 motor compare (seat of the pants feel) compared to the S13 SRDET compared to the KA. I am intersted in your opinion, as you have likely driven more non L cars than anyone I know.

I have often thought that I would rather not do all the piping and steering changes if the S15 SR felt considerably better than the KA. I enjoyed the KA in my dime, but constantly hit the limiter. But its not likely you would consistantly smoke V8's with a NA SR in a dime either. But for $2500 less I could live with that.

Dang clean 510, but I must add I'm not to enthusiastic about those flares eventhough I dont mind the normal boxed ones. Unless you have a Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass hood with no latch.....why the hood pins?

weird flares, hood pins, and stickers are the first thing you can do to gain like? ah hundred extra horsepower! ..everyone knows that.

i considered the flared,needless hood pin look for my truck but... its just not "period correct" ya know..

I guess I'll go for an sr swap too? haha. (no really)

[im bee'n a smart ass and watch, this guy will probably fly by me one day all BWAAAAP:eek:,haha]

nice car, the flares would be great with a new wheel set up and an SR in it...

I'm sure he's on his way! he's stoked he's got DatMasters working on his car

(Jeff,I get 10% of everything if you use that name to open a shop,:fu: ha.)

Funny. Each to their own for sure, but I am not a fan of those flares either! Totally mess up the body lines, but I didn't want to say anything cause I thought from your post that you built them Jeff! Shoulda known better!

Hey guys, my name is Augusto and i am the owner of the car. This is my first post here so i just wanted to say hi to everybody.

I bought the car about 3-4 years ago from a guy down in bremerton. Don't know much about the story of the car beyond that. Since then we (my dad and me) been putting a lot of effort trying to get the car finished. The car came with the body work already done. The flared look wasn't my top choice but the car is very solid inside out. Someone spent a lot of money and time on it before me.

I see a lot of people a dogging on the flares, but that is ok. I do like them better than the high-box flare ones because of the akward gascap cut out. My next datsun project is going to be more of the ratsun, non-flared type, but that is the future.

New wheels are defnetly in the plan, so if anyone has something that might fit, let me know.

Oh yeah, the hood pins... back when i was young (3 year ago) one of the 510 gods (aka Frank) told me scary stories about 510 hoods attacking inocent windshields while driving. That why i put them there. they might go when i get my rising sun hood. don't know yet.

Anyways, thank you guys for showing interest for my project, and thanks to frank and wolfman for all the help.

Augusto

2eDeYe;35963'']Nice, you guys are busy over there :D

Sometimes to bussy :D

Those have to be the ugliest flares I've ever seen!

Having an SR I can see the point though :D

Hey Ice, in your opinion, how does the NA S15 motor compare (seat of the pants feel) compared to the S13 SRDET compared to the KA. I am intersted in your opinion, as you have likely driven more non L cars than anyone I know.

I have often thought that I would rather not do all the piping and steering changes if the S15 SR felt considerably better than the KA. I enjoyed the KA in my dime, but constantly hit the limiter. But its not likely you would consistantly smoke V8's with a NA SR in a dime either. But for $2500 less I could live with that.

I think Dillon would be the best person to ask since he has driven a KA24ET, SR20DET, KA24DE and a SR20DE S15. I only drove the S15 non turbo once and it was with no exhaust so I didn't really get on it to much. I do remember Dillon saying the SR non turbo felt smooth than the ka24de. Maybe I can get him to post.

Dang clean 510, but I must add I'm not to enthusiastic about those flares eventhough I dont mind the normal boxed ones. Unless you have a Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass hood with no latch.....why the hood pins?

Its super clean!

im bee'n a smart ass and watch, this guy will probably fly by me one day all BWAAAAP:eek:,haha]

nice car, the flares would be great with a new wheel set up and an SR in it...

I'm sure he's on his way! he's stoked he's got DatMasters working on his car

(Jeff,I get 10% of everything if you use that name to open a shop,:fu: ha.)

I love flared datto's with new style rims to, it kinda mixes things up.

10% huh :D

Funny. Each to their own for sure, I thought from your post that you built them Jeff! Shoulda known better!

Thats what I think to, I wouldn't mind having a little more rubber on the road though :D

I wish I could do body work that good!

Hey guys, my name is Augusto and i am the owner of the car. This is my first post here so i just wanted to say hi to everybody.

I bought the car about 3-4 years ago from a guy down in bremerton. Don't know much about the story of the car beyond that. Since then we (my dad and me) been putting a lot of effort trying to get the car finished. The car came with the body work already done. The flared look wasn't my top choice but the car is very solid inside out. Someone spent a lot of money and time on it before me.

I see a lot of people a dogging on the flares, but that is ok. I do like them better than the high-box flare ones because of the akward gascap cut out. My next datsun project is going to be more of the ratsun, non-flared type, but that is the future.

New wheels are defnetly in the plan, so if anyone has something that might fit, let me know.

Oh yeah, the hood pins... back when i was young (3 year ago) one of the 510 gods (aka Frank) told me scary stories about 510 hoods attacking inocent windshields while driving. That why i put them there. they might go when i get my rising sun hood. don't know yet.

Anyways, thank you guys for showing interest for my project, and thanks to frank and wolfman for all the help.

Augusto

Nice to see you on here dude! I'm going to try and keep the pics updated to :D

ifixdit

2924460_74_full.jpg

You should get photoshop! :D

Wow that looks awesome! Can you photoshop the car with different wheels?

O no don't get him going :D hehe (j/k photo shopping is the best!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by micahjan

I think Dillon would be the best person to ask since he has driven a KA24ET, SR20DET, KA24DE and a SR20DE S15. I only drove the S15 non turbo once and it was with no exhaust so I didn't really get on it to much. I do remember Dillon saying the SR non turbo felt smooth than the ka24de. Maybe I can get him to post.

ohk im posting icehouse! haha so the ka24et compared to the s13 sr20det is kind of a little hard to compare the ka-t i drove has a bigger turbo (t3/t4) then the sr20det i drove so the sr pulled hard and quicker but the ka-t has a longer pull and gained speed pretty quick you could say. the s15 sr20de i actually liked compared to my 510 with the ka24de for some reason all the sr's i drive just seem smooth and solid dont get me wrong the ka24de's arent slow i love driving mine but the sr's just seem more well built then the ka's. its your choice the ka's are good for the price difference from the sr's thats why i got mine. but now im trying to get an sr20det for my 69 two doo :D

Augusto,

Somebody said it wasnt running right?

I lay money I can figure it out in a 1/2 hour whats the proplem?

I had a 510 with flares like that. If the paint &wheel combo is right it will look good. The Zakespeed Ford Capris had flares similar and I thought it looked good, But I like the IMSA Box flares myself. or just keep the stock look

get a bumber and a airdam and it s fine

PS I had a hood come up once!!!it wasnt lock down all the way , But if you have a fast car Hood pins are good!!!!!!! or make sure the stock one is working and adjusted correctly for full closure of the locking mech

Heinz510_thumb.jpg

Augusto, don't put much into us giving you shit for your flares! Welcome! This is a rad ride in its own right, and it is refreshing to see something a little 'different'. I've never seen one like it!

We see the same cars every day so when something this different pops up it sticks out like a sore thumb.

But we all know your ride is already in better shape than some of ours will ever be! And that is before the SR.

It looks like some real quality work there for sure. I just wish they blended better with the body. The front box tapers pretty well toward the bumper. But where they come toward the door and the top of the quarter pannels is a tad abrubt.

Not that I'd waste time changing it if I owned it. It hase some slick paint, slick wheels, and it is about to get something real slick under the hood. Enjoy it!

Looking at those pics, I gotta agree Agusto, it looks alot different, and better depending on what angle you are viewing it from. It is some sort of Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde duality mod!

There is one like that around my town. Its flat black tho. It was sitting at a shop for a few years when i asked to buy it, they said no it was a customers. Bout another year or two went by and im thinkin to stop buy again and ask, then its gone. A local guy bought it for 400 bucks. At least its back on the road tho. I think its cool, its different.

I seen the burgandy one some time before i bought mine up here in everett. They must of been heading north to a show in canada (there was a group of 510's). At the time, i fell in love with the flared look, so when i saw mine for sale i went for it. Those wheels would look good, but the back look rather weird (they don't have negative offset, deep dish look that i want). I always wanted the wantanabe wheels like in the blue car in this pic.

sweetmotherofgodxa4.th.jpg

I was told that they don't make the tires that i have anymore, so i am due for new wheels in the new future.