Jacob's Goon Build - Now L19 powered.

Laecaon

I want your dogleg when you swap motors

Well, I am thinking I am going to give my friend with the white 521 first dibs on buying my whole motor/tranny setup.

And besides, that tranny is well abused in the past it seems like. I really dont think it will last more than a year or 2 in its current state. I just need it to last til I pull it out.

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you planning to do an in-tank or external fuel pump? We may need to talk more. I have pics of what I did and a spare tank if you're interested.

I would prefer external, but dont want some walbro that is crazy loud. But under car real estate may be at a premium...

This is going to be epic. Im excited to see this build slowly come together!

Fixed.

I am not going to rush myself.

Pulled the engine and tranny apart. And to make life easier in the garage, I made a cart for the engine.

Now having the two apart, I dont think I like the input shaft wobble on the tranny :/ Guess I will be looking for a KA tranny to swap bell housings.

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

I guess now would be a good time to make my distributor post here.

Quickly growing tired of having points, I looked for electronic ignition. Matchboxes are an easy swap, but cost a lot for what it is, and the JY was fruitless.

Then I saw the How-To for the Sentra dizzy. Sourced one of those. There is pedestal work to do. I went to MKlotz for help with that.

Pictures now.

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

Klotz saves another project :thumbup: . I swear that guy never sleeps.

So, what's the story on the CA? Was it recently a runner or has it been sitting in an importer's container for a few years? What's the difference/advantage to the KA transmission? Aren't they all 71Cs?

Thank you for documenting. I was already inspired to build, but now I'm inspired to document.

No problem! I highly recommend documenting everything. Lets you look back in the future, and when someone has a question on how to do something, you can show them easily.

Klotz saves another project :thumbup: . I swear that guy never sleeps.

So, what's the story on the CA? Was it recently a runner or has it been sitting in an importer's container for a few years? What's the difference/advantage to the KA transmission? Aren't they all 71Cs?

Since you asked. Story, well its probably not the best for a motor. Short answer, blown head gasket. Long answer, From a kid who had it in is 240sx coupe, he used it as his parc drifter. One day his lower radiator hose blew off, at which point he noticed issues... really hoping I dont have to get the head milled...

Outwards appearances, its a 20 year old motor with some newer parts.

I am planning new bearings, cant decide if I want to do new rings or not, (dont like the idea of having to seat them when I will probably have a little bit of trying to get the motor working correctly at first startup)

As far as KA tranny, well its no fun trying to find a CA tranny. Barely see S12s as it is (not sure if they have the 71C anyways). And since they are both 71Cs, bell housings will swap easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ready! I ordered new bushings because the rubber is probably all sorts of old, and the TC bushings are shot. I chose poly LCA bushings, they were cheap. Also I got a single Tie rod end, it happened to be on Amazon for $7, after I paid for it the price went up to $17...

WP_000055.jpg

Pics, of installed bushings, terribly exciting. I would have taken interim pictures, but my hands were dirty, and I was focused. I even let my beer get warm, yea that focused.

I just remembered I forgot to take pics of the sway bar bushings, and the T/C rod bushings, but I will say, they are black in color.

Painted my control arms, because when I cleaned them up, they were big spots of bare metal. I had gloss black on hand, else I would have chosen Satin, but it will get dirty in no time.

1 bolt broke on the way out, a sway bar holder bolt. Bolt extractor broke trying to get it out, so then I drilled and tapped the hole, all better.

Control arm bushing, red, because it was cheaper than black. Super easy to install, if you dont count "uninstalling" the old bushings.

SNC10609.JPG

I try to get stainless hardware whenever I can... I should say I used all new hardware, ace is the place!

SNC10608.JPG

Sideways picture, dont feel like correcting... Blue endlink bushings, because Raybestos does it that way, blue sway bar...

SNC10606.JPG

Is blue.

SNC10611.JPG

And a picture of the car for good measure.

SNC10605.JPG

Actually I have never heard of that somehow... And I have never used antiseize on anything, like sparkplugs...

its a common issue. Especially on firearms. Anti-seize on spark-plug threads is good form and threads last longer :)

love the blue sway bar and gotta love Raysbesto's taste in bushings lol

wagon feel a world of difference ?

Thanks! I will see about pulling them out and adding some antiseize soon, I have 1 more thing to add to the front suspension very soon.

The whole front end just feels so much better, not too stiff, definitely feels smoother on the road.

Now if only I could find bushings for the rear leafs. Another day, I will have to pull them and take measurements.

pulling the bolts out is when they gaul up be carefull man they seem to gaul up when ya least expect it too, like the last 3 turns lol always use anti seize on any SS fastener especially when you SS to SS contact.

Will do! At least ace didnt carry any SS nuts. I wish finding metric stuff was easier.

See, posting up a few pics isn't that tough. Looks good. Those Raybestos parts might actually be Moog rebox pieces -- which is a good thing. They do it in blue too. I'll +1 on the anti-seize thing. Be careful taking them apart. They're pretty fresh though so you should be okay.

You got any plans to do the PIR Beaches thing this summer?

• 2 weeks later...

And a picture of the car for good measure.

SNC10605.JPG

this month jrocks computer will be featuring this as august screen wall paper...thanks jacob....goon is looking tight, lemme know how those bumpsteer spacers work..... i been watching those, wanting a set