Torion bar reindexing?

SRSANDS

Hey guys,

I am soon to be a owner of a 521. My plans for this project have many suprises down the road but for now I want to get it into a good daily driver so I dont have to drive my 510 to work. I was researching how to reindex torsion bars and I guess since I havent had a chance to actually lay under the truck and take a hands on approach it seem kinda un clear to me. Can anyone point me in the right direction by giving my a write up or steps on how to crank this thing to the ground.

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff and I reindexed his 521 from the from A arm.

Loosen nut where it almost comes off then wack it with a hammer/mallet

You need to jack the wheel hub up.to hold it.

we didnt take the torsion bolt or c clip out in the back. This is more on 620s

I did my 521 the same way...very easy & effective.

• Like 2

Ya Im in a tough boat on this one.....not familiar to the entire setup of torsion bars and the bars came with the truck but Im thinking there are a few pieces not with them. Datdoug is a cool dude and he said hes got the bolts but I know there is more....clips ect I dunno, I have a manal but the images are poor and limited so.....I guess I have to be patient and wait for a 51 in the junk yard.....Are the 620s te same or close as far as parts and mounting ect.....I dunno.....Right now I see splined holes in the front and a plate with a hole in under the bed where they go but Im scratchin my nuts with the torsion bars in my hand (bars only wit that lever with the hole and dimple in it..only) Mini trucks are a whole different animal :( Anyone have detailed pics or a truck guy close to Puyalup that can show me whats up and what I need I would appreciate it!

• Like 1

Heres the only 2 pix i took from when i did the bars on my 521.

This is AFTER removing the long nut & bolt..you can see how the bracket has dropped down bout 1/4 inch.......

1-15barmount.jpg

& i used a sharpie to mark the position of the bar in the STOCK position. Theres a bolt on the frontside of the bar [lower arm] that you remove then tap the bar out towards the BACK of the truck......

1-15barinlowerarm.jpg

once the bar is removed simply jack up the lower arm until you get the desired wheel to fender gap.

Reinstall the front bolt then the long bolt & nut.

You "may" have to trim & or remove the bump stops depending how low you go.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...