68 2 door 510 (talk about rare)

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So what did you use to strip the paint to give it that sparse brushed blue paint look? Is that the Rust Doctor, just not brushed on heavily?

I used aircraft stripper from Shucks (the only good thing they sell) Make sure to use super thick chemical gloves, I thought if I doubled up on the thin ones I would be fine. INCORRECT that shit burns!!

Yes the blue stuff is Rust Doctor, it changes colors as it dries. I still have a bunch of work to do in the engine bay so I will be grinding some of it off.

I have some of that Rust Doctor stuff. Works great! I just sold my '69 wagon, I had a dash..

Looking good Iceman!

Thanks :D You sold your 69? I thought you where going to put it back together first?

looks good man,

cant wait till its running :)

HAHA you just want the 4 door shell soon :D

2eDeYe;3896']Sweet...Are you going to reinforce the core support where you cut it out?

What did you use to strip the paint? What did you coat the interior with? It looks black...

Yes I will be reinforcing the core support, I'm going to have the IC modified and then build the core support around it. It needs to be about an 1.5" farther back, that way I can fit the grill over the IC and the valence will cover some of it as well. It will be a little more steal than the 4 door was :D

Wednesday would work, I usually don't get there until 5.30 so a saturday would be the best :D I will let you know, I have to take my jack back the stupid thing broke, its only 8 months old to! It's way harder than I thought to work on cars without one.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm going to return mine it has a one year limmited warenty. They will most likely fuck me over though.

Haha I got a new one under warranty :D

Okay I've been working my ass of on this car for the last few days.... I hope to have the patch panels on the passenger side done tomorrow. I wish I had a camera so I could post some pictures. I found an bondo an inch deep!! I've been adding a lot of new metal just to be sure to kill the rust. I have never fixed the very common rocker rust that 510's get, I'm excited to see how it turns out. As long as the bondo's not a inch thick I'll be happy :D Well project updates are only so fun with no pics... Sorry guys.

I just have to add, there is something great about cutting out rust. I feel so good after the new metal is in.

Well I notice how everyone is doing a new "shell" so I've decided to jump on the band wagon :D I feel that I have way to many cars, I need to consolidate down to 2 or so. I just want my 620 (parts hauler) and my 68 2 door. I'm not going to get rid of my 59 its going into storage. So I guess 3. I originally bought the 4 door as a parts car and got a little carried away haha I have started pulling parts off my 4 door and fitting them on my 68, it has a some rust. I will need to do some welding and a little fab work (my fav). So far I adjusted the doors and started cutting the front to fit the IC behind the grill this time. I have one pic :D I don't plan on making it a show car or anything, just bring it back to life.

68frontview.jpg

I basically cut off the rad support, I'm going to rebuild it about 2 inchs farther back so I can fit the IC in front of it. This will keep it behind the grill and valence. fewww I think thats good for now.

I hope I am not pissing to many people off with my giant whole in the front of such a rare car :D The 68 2 doors don't really exist. They where a show room model only. This is only what I have read, Since I wasn't alive then this may not be accurate. I have only seen about 4 ever. Now I'm gone. :D

I have never owned anything i havent cut up. Nothing has been really rare though, but that wouldnt stop me. Give them something to talk about is what I say!!!! Looks good so far man!!!!

Thats why never trust those Made in China Looking Cool jacks.

I had one one of those Playscool ones go down while working on a car(slow leak)

My engine hoist does that same thing, I got yours so I'm on to worried :D

2eDeYe;5507']I just picked up a set of these just for cutting out rust :D

44751.gif

Can't wait to try them out :cool:

What do they do?

Good stuff Jeff' date=' but, WE WANT PICTURES :D ![/quote']

You should buy me a digital camera :D

Give them something to talk about is what I say!!!! Looks good so far man!!!!

Thats what I'm thinking :D I shaved the rear vents on the rear piller... One year only haha I bet I will get a pretty penny on ebay for them :D You should see it in its new state, I know I know I need to get some pictures soon.... I almost got the rear rocker fixed, if I wouldn't of ran out of wire it would be done by now... If I'm off for another week I will definitely have this thing ready to paint quick!!

2eDeYe;5579']When you cut out a hole in sheet metal' date=' they hold the patch panel in place for you while you weld them together.

You want this wheel for your truck? [/quote']

They do :eek: I need some to then :D

Yes I would like that wheel :) Are you going to be around sunday?

Those clamps work great and they hold the pieces apart slightly so that you get full penetration on your weld......BUT.....you have to have access to the backside to place/remove the bar on the backside. Great for fenders/doors where you have access.....will not work for rocker panels that you can't get to the backside on. If you are trying to graft two fenders together or an entire bedside on a truck......perfect for that!!!

2eDeYe;5593']I should be. Give me a ring.

I might be puyallup way tommorrow even :eek:

The one day I'm not in Puyallup.... haha isn't that how everything seems to work out....