H5's.......1970 Wagon

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

60437_1336565789112_1680128141_666024_4687387_n.jpg

Clean, clean, clean....put the tires on the back to see how it will look level.....:D

Also took the stock sway-bar off.....Need to repaint my 1" sway-bar and get some new end-links. (And drill out 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the sway-bar bushings)...:angry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

nice score on the vdo......oh ya nice sway bar :D and i like your bike.....whens this thing gonna be on the road pickin up the chicks..

73895_1384621870484_1680128141_738601_8273935_n.jpg

My lazy(busy) ass got the windshield in today, the L20 motor will be in my hands next week.:P The brake & clutch master cylinder needs installed. Working on getting my wiper arms to move...:angry: I have another linkage set up but all the bolts need drilled out.:o So I work better under Pressure! Well sometimes, so hope to have it going soon. (If I would stop driving the White one all over town)

Once the motor is in, then I get to do new exhaust....:D

74277_1375288917166_1680128141_725668_7070515_n.jpg

• 7 months later...

Ok so I finally got me a photbucket account posting some of the things I got done.

510ComingHome.jpg

One more look at what it did look like.....:P

Crossmember.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0299.jpgMy smooth L16 manifold.

IMAG0319.jpg

IMAG0344.jpgIMAG0561.jpgIMAG0566.jpg

IMAG0591.jpg

IMAG0346.jpgIMAG0347.jpg

I'm still under $1000 bucks, more like 800ish with the DMV getting $350 of that.

IMAG0328.jpg

Hey, that's how fast my Datsun goes too! ZERO!

Keep up the progress.

She is running.....500 and some miles so far. I drove out to Canby both days kinda late. Planning a Eugene trip this weekend maybe...:cool:

Going to Canby.....vvvvvvv

242941_1647390959547_1680128141_1109856_3063882_o.jpg

IMAG0273.jpgIMAG0286.jpg

How she sits right now.....Next project is to buff out the paint...:D257389_1663349478500_1680128141_1128538_1005192_o.jpg

And get the exhaust done...:cool:

And some Z rims to match my wife's car

And then, and then.....

Ok so I finally got me a photbucket account posting some of the things I got done.

I'm still under $1000 bucks, more like 800ish with the DMV getting $350 of that.

IMAG0328.jpg

DMV got $350 for what? Did you have to get it bonded? Back fees?

The guy I got the car from, found it dead in someones driveway mid 90's, towed to a field and it sat there until I got it, last year. It was no longer in the Database last tags were 92...lol Which made it easy to get a Oregon Title. $84 for VIN inspection, the other $250 for tags and plates, I had to get the "Pacific Wonderland"plates and a special $48 add-on because I live in Multnomah County, Nice surprise at the DMV counter.:huh: But I got the shell for free, well countless hours helping a friend with his wagon but I'm back in the 510 game after a 17yr vacation.....:cool: Then the wife wanted one, so I have 3 wagons to wrench on.....:P

• 2 months later...

So I have some lowering blocks and will be dropping it 2in soon.

I lowered the back of my wagon by simply flipping the overload spring.

the spring pack before compressing it. You can see the overload on the top.

SNC11061-1.JPG

This is before (zx struts on and only lowered the front a hair)

IMG_0991.JPG

This is how the car looks after, it has settled a bit more since then. Front is at same height as before, but the back is lower.

SNC11068.JPG

Since that picture the front is lower

it looks like this now: (just took these)

SNC11178.JPG

SNC11179.JPG

Well I'm prob going to keep the overload spring the way it is...I sometimes have 3 people in back..:blink: I know I will be riding on bump stops, pretty much anyway.

I really need some better leaf springs or do a 4/link setup in back,

My springs are crap from sitting with 600 pounds of carpet inside my car for quite a long time.....5-7 years at least......or more.:o

So what do you think it lowered it?

Maybe 1-1.5 inches. Basically its free, doesnt seem to hurt the ride at all.

I literally just got done doing this on my friends 521. Damn that makes the truck so much better to ride in.

Also, my wheels are 185/60/14 so you can see the difference to your tires. We have the same wheels! currently...

• 3 months later...

Ok so it been awhile since I posted anything about my trusty wagon....gave me no problems through the past 8 or so months, well I did have to change out a 4spd but that was without incident and a new battery and refurbished the starter solenoid. Well since driving it and working on my other wagon.....with the KA. I'm thinking I want something a bit different. I have always liked rally racing and when I had my first 2dr back in 87-89 in Arizona I did some desert exploring before....lol and after it was lowered. Everyone would roll out in the night time....bon fires etc....Killer times.

Anyway my brother lives in Bend and I do like to camp, so this wagon is going Rally

510rallyedit.jpgbaja510.jpg

acropolisviolet.jpgmehtascotedit.jpg

......and then Merlin had to breaks out the Safari stickers, So now I'm hooked on the idea.

IMAG1574.jpg

My custom battery hold down

IMAG1359.jpg

IMAG1223.jpg

How she is looking now.

IMAG1553.jpg

My plan of changes:

Rally Front springs & New rear leaf packs......my springs are crap...rusty pitted.....Raise it about 1-2in..firm ride to handle being loaded down and not bouncy

I want it to sit level...I will be making the call to Oregon spring to check of new leaf pack vs finding junkyard ones to work. I know they can build them to what you want...soft/firm.

195-205/70/15 Light truck/snow tires on some different rims. These are 14" Maxima wheels.(Bad offset) I don't think I could run a 70series without it rubbing on the spring perch.

Might do the B210/280z skinny perch with stiffer springs depends on clearance issues.

Sticking with the 4spd for now....with tall tires should be ok on Hwy with L20 power..:D

Rear bumper with a hitch...(I saw the510keepers thread)....for a small Aluminum boat or utility trailer.

Skid plate....Yes!

Will do my official starting height measurement and mock up of possible ride height tomorrow. Maybe it's my lack of off road ability. I had a 92 Landcruiser and before that a 72 Scout II

You can hate all you want :fu: I don't plan to beat it up but shit anything could happen to any car at anytime so...this is my daily and I want to be able to drive it and not be careful pulling into Safeway.

Or when it snows I'm ready for action.....take a road trip into the mountains...logging roads, camping, exploring with the kids.

A little fun next to the Goodwill on 122nd...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpG5VE0aOkQ&feature=youtu.be

Same area I shot the video.....lol A few days later.

IMAG1611.jpg