H5's.......1970 Wagon

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw those also on the datsun history pages ....I do have a roof mounted spot light...that I never put on my scout, but I don't think I will cut a hole in my roof. And damn those are some big tires....that 510 looks a bit longer.? I think I remember I story on that a long time ago.

I know I will have fun with this.

You have my full attention and approval. I may still have the front springs that came on mine. If I can find 'em their yours if you want them. It's possible they went to the scrapper but I'll look around.

002-10.jpg

001-11.jpg

That's WITH an L20b in it. Wasn't fitting in with the overall direction of my project but may be what you're looking for.

You have my full attention and approval. I may still have the front springs that came on mine. If I can find 'em their yours if you want them. It's possible they went to the scrapper but I'll look around.

002-10.jpg

001-11.jpg

That's WITH an L20b in it. Wasn't fitting in with the overall direction of my project but may be what you're looking for.

Nice.....I did some playing around with ride height today.....that looks about what I'm going for...about 12" clearance under the car. About 3in up front and 2 in back. I have some pics....kinda funky, rear wheels off the ground and lots of clearance in from wheel wells.

Tires will do a lot for total height....prob. about a inch towards the total lift height.

If you have those front springs, I will buy you a couple beers at the SE hang out... :cool:

My wagon should still have the stock springs, I never did any cutting, but who knows. Oh wait, I found a pic. 8 coils like Driven's springs, Though mine look a bit more saggy... I do know my shocks were blown.

Would just need some springs in place... lol.

Spring is on the left. The other spring is a ZX front.

IMG_0981.JPG

I have no clue what they came out of originally. The spring on the left was in it when I bought the car and sat really high. It was fully extended at ride height with stock struts. The one on the left was a stock spring that had been clipped I got from MKlotz.

You planning to do a lengthened strut for more travel?

So whats with the 8 coils...68-69 struts? Would like to check those out!

Also thinking of doing B210/280z spring/perch if tire clearance on the perch is an issue. :unsure: The 280z (Not zx) should be a bit stiffer? Heavier car?

Just called about new rear leafs...about $180 each.:o and that's without bushings. So basically I'm in the planning stages.:mellow:

Hope to get my wheel tire setup done this week, then I will know more what direction to go with the suspension....could just add a leaf to raise/stiffen it up in the rear, but new ones would be nice.

So whats with the 8 coils...68-69 struts? Would like to check those out!

Also thinking of doing B210/280z spring/perch if tire clearance on the perch is an issue. :unsure: The 280z (Not zx) should be a bit stiffer? Heavier car?

Just called about new rear leafs...about $180 each.:o and that's without bushings. So basically I'm in the planning stages.:mellow:

Hope to get my wheel tire setup done this week, then I will know more what direction to go with the suspension....could just add a leaf to raise/stiffen it up in the rear, but new ones would be nice.

I wonder if you could use leafs from a truck? Wrecking yard time?? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Well it's been awhile but have been daily driving for the last 8-9 months.I have a bunch of stuff planned, Dog Leg 5spd, lowering, fixing exhaust (New Y-pipe)....Misc items to paint,,,work on suspension. I have a nice little list going.A little photo shoot I did today...IMAG3721.jpg
IMAG3723.jpg
15x7...0 Offset....195/50/15......Caps say Riken...But was told they were from Toyota Supra..? Made in Japan .2-piece all silver.
I'm not a wheel expert so if anyone knows for sure let me know.
I have Nissan Comp front springs to put in...which will only lower about 1.5 up front. ZX stuff later if a want to go lower.(Unless I have to)
Brembo Drilled rotors....run a lot cooler then the stock solid rotors.
IMAG3755.jpg

IMAG3752.jpg

IMAG3725.jpg

Yeah I ditched the Rally plan...I drive the streets every day... :thumbup: :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Threw in my old Nissan Comp springs the other day...blocks going in back, maybe this weekend.

The comp springs are just a temporary set-up until I can do ZX struts to bring in my 15x7..0..Offset

Anyone know the spring rate on the old Nissan Comp springs?

IMAG3955.jpg

Stock below...

IMAG3956.jpg

IMAG3971.jpg

IMAG3969.jpg

IMAG4009.jpg

IMAG3982.jpg

Thanks man!....I have more little changes coming. Figure I get all motivated as the weather get crappy.

Looking to move so I hope to get a garage in the deal... :angel: and still have room for parts cars/projects... :devil:

• 1 month later...

Forgot to take a pic before the Alt. was on but put a KA24e Alt mount on my L20B,
EDIT: KA-ALT mount pic.
IMAG4515.jpg

IMAG4496.jpg
Strong single solid bolt.
IMAG4498.jpg

I was helping Draynor with his swap, now I can get back to my baby.

I have a New exhaust flange...need to get a nice Y-Pipe made.

Oil filter relocation set-up.....RX-7 oil cooler?
*Install 1" Front sway bar....Deal with messed up stock mounting bolts.
*Radiator overflow
*Lower rear
*Intsall Bump steer spacers
Install Matchbox
*Re-build front struts....Replace old oil.....or just shorter inserts for a bit more travel.
Rear Hatch seal
Pull motor...Re-seal front cover and new head gasket.(Spring) and New oil pump(KA)

I have more little items to keep me busy also.

* Items Done! Canby weekend. :)

• 5 months later...

Ok just a little update. Just got some 2" collars to lower my spring perch on my stock 510 struts. I'm using Nissan Comp springs.about 1.5 drop from stock. And I have 2" blocks.....just waiting to get some ZX inserts and get the strut tubes cut. Putting the collars 1in lower up front should give me a nice ride height with a bit more travel than what I have now. which ain't much.  the rear is putting me in the Rub  zone for 3rd member. But I will deal with that later...I will be right on my bump stops, may trim them a bit
Collars...

IMAG5953.jpg

Blocks and sway bar mount repair....Stock mounting bolts are no longer useable.

IMAG5957.jpg

With the comp springs on the stock struts the front end would be 1/2 higher, so I've been holding off installing them until I got collars and shorter insets, I will be using Draynor's old 280zx inserts since he is going Moar lower with the MR2 stuff.

I will grinding the perch and using the collars to get my ride height set. Along with shortening. This is just temporary until I can do ZX struts to bring in my wheels a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to grind the centers and on the end to allow block to sit level.....Trim rubber coming thru the hole.

IMAG6059-1.jpg

Also had to grind along the side of the leaf spring clamp...and hone out holes a tad on shock mount/lower plate. U-Bolts were a tad wider than stock.

IMAG6061.jpg

Sitting a bit lower...

IMAG6064.jpg

Now to take care of the front.

IMAG6071.jpg

Done for the day.

IMAG6081.jpg

IMAG6083.jpg

Stock 510 struts waiting to be cut to fit 280zx inserts....with Old Nissan Comp springs...But can run coil-overs also. The ones I have are pretty stiff.  I think Draynor said 500lb.

IMAG6094.jpg

IMAG6098.jpgIMAG6099.jpg

Now to clean them up and paint, paint, paint....& install  B) With SwayBar that I have been without for over a year. :confused:

A little fun in the sun @ Home...No Canby for me just trying to get my projects done with split days off. Anyway a little painting today.

IMAG6111.jpg

So fun turning this into new looking stuff!

IMAG6101.jpg

IMAG6103.jpg

Got to love a wire wheel on the drill!

The fun part, putting it all back together.

IMAG6117.jpg

IMAG6118.jpg

IMAG6119.jpg

Little details nobody will see.

IMAG6120.jpg

IMAG6124.jpg

Room to go lower...If I was running different rims that would clear fenders......280zx Struts will be coming in the future.

IMAG6126.jpg

1" inch higher in the rear, measured from rocker panels to the ground.  Need to look at 3rd member bump stop to trim or make a lower profile one.

Still need to get the sway bar hooked up, Just hat to test ride height and travel on my bumpy street.

15x7 0 Offset(195/50/15)...Slight fender rolling in the rear.