Thinking of starting a new project Ratsun.... Help?

Now that the 'goon is out of the garage, I have room for something new. I'm looking for something that needs some work, obviously! I've been stuck between a pre-smog Z car or a early 70's Mercedes 280se.

I really want to stick with the Datsun name, though... Figured I'd post up here first as well as scour craigslist for the right deal.

Looking for a Z car, could be 240, 260, 280... Don't care, as long as it's 75 or older! I'm in Sacramento, but willing to drive to pick it up. Ideally, I'd spend $1000 or less on it. Hopefully have a motor included, whether or not it runs. The closer to running, the better. Plans are to get it running, do up some suspension to get it settled down in the weeds where the Wagon was, and eventually swap motors to something a bit... newer.

If anybody here knows of something for sale around the area, I'd appreciate it!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE 280se's! They can be had for less than a grand, and when they're restored, sell for upwards of 12-13k. Plus they look like a bad boy mobile....

Jefe, check on your buddy's car! Depending on price and condition, I might be feelin it.

Your wagon was pretty sick. I don't know how much of that you did and what was done when you got it. It would be cool to see what you would do with the Benz. I'm not super loyal to any car maker so I wouldn't feel like I have to with a Z.

All of the work (short of welding up a few things and doing the lowering on the leaf springs) was done by me and my older brother. The wagon was stock with lowering springs and an L18 when I first got it. I did all the motor swap, body panel swaps, suspension, paint, interior, etc on my own. I think a ratted out 280se would be super cool. Just a fun cruiser that I could work on in my spare time. The nice thing is I wouldn't want to swap the motor, but just rebuild it at the most.

:rolleyes:

next youll be shunning all your friends w/510's <_<

:fu: goforit!

No way, man! I don't shun anybody based on auto preference! Unless you drive a Honda...

Roadster! :lol:

Roadsters are sick! But I'm 6'3, pushing 230... As much as I like them, I just don't think it's a realistic fit for me or what I want from a car...

Thanks for the responses, guys!

All of the work (short of welding up a few things and doing the lowering on the leaf springs) was done by me and my older brother. The wagon was stock with lowering springs and an L18 when I first got it. I did all the motor swap, body panel swaps, suspension, paint, interior, etc on my own. I think a ratted out 280se would be super cool. Just a fun cruiser that I could work on in my spare time. The nice thing is I wouldn't want to swap the motor, but just rebuild it at the most.

No way, man! I don't shun anybody based on auto preference! Unless you drive a Honda...

Roadsters are sick! But I'm 6'3, pushing 230... As much as I like them, I just don't think it's a realistic fit for me or what I want from a car...

Thanks for the responses, guys!

You'll fit in a hightop roadster, I think one of the guys that own one is like 6'5, if you change the seats out also (which is advised anyways) you'll be able to make even more room.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21302-1968-1600-roadster This guy has a sick one for sale, just look at those pictures!

i would have to definatly agree with a z car but if your interested i know where you can get a 56 chevy the guy saw mine and tried to sell it to me its a stock 235 straight 6 3 on the tree 1/2 ton but he wants 6,500 for it

Get a 2 door already, great resale, and you can get a great project reasonably.

James... Got anything you'd like to donate to get Big Sean back in a Datsun? I was actually planning on swinging by the meet tonight after work, but my dogs picked up some fleas, so I've got to pick up some flea medicine....

I LOVE 280se's! They can be had for less than a grand, and when they're restored, sell for upwards of 12-13k. Plus they look like a bad boy mobile....

Jefe, check on your buddy's car! Depending on price and condition, I might be feelin it.

I shoud have some pics and more info this weekend.

Victory and i have 9 Datsun for sale, and counting. When i say hey babe there's another 510 to pick up, she says lets go.

There is a guy that has 7 Datsun 510s and doesn't touch any of them, some are so bad they could be use for parts but not in 10 years