Project Grey_Matter

picked it up today, and here it is in front of my house.

d6bd8179.jpg

JDM510 says hi:

d49c69c5.jpg.

my first goal is to see if i can do something with the tranny, im thinking if it was ruined its wouldnt drive at all, but all it seems to be is stuck in gear.

here is my list of mods i plan:

1. front and rear disc brake conversion

2. altitude adjustment

3. engine swap (toss up between an SR20DET and the KA24DE)

4. projectors from a BMW for the low beams (HID's)

5. more to follow im sure

• Like 3
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh so did you buy the other set of bmw lights he had laying around?

no, im gonna get this running perfect before i start and of my mods.....

i do have both sets of your lights though. im gonna try to send them out next weekend.

i still need to goto the dmv and attempt to put it in my name so i can send you your plates. but the plan is to send you the lights and plates at the same time.

im going outside in a couple minutes to tinker with it to see if i can get it out of gear

• Like 1

No big deal i can wait on the plates and lights a little bit,

if theres any probs with geting it in your name we can send you a bill of sale so you have one from the name thats on the title.

yeah if i have any prolblems with the dmv i'll be calling you :)

and JDM510 seemed like a pretty decent guy in person.

i told him to do that pose in the pic cause i thought it would be funny

yeah he seemed like a ok guy when he came to my house and when i talked to him on the phone the first few times, but as soon as he got home it was a diff story.

im just glad that some one has it thats going to put some love into it, and not let it get towed away or tow it 18hours on a tow dolly with out unhooking the drive line. anyways..........

it would be really funny it the tranny ended up being ok. good luck with that.

so i have to ask, are you going to leave it that blue?

when i first got it i was like, hey thats a nice blue but i still want to paint it. and after a few months there was no way i was going to paint it.

Fawk Gray_Matter I thought this was you.

How embarrassing. :blush: (nice sox)

im alot taller than him.

i dont think there is anything im gonna be able to do to the tranny without pulling it, so im gonna look for a cheap 5 speed.

i also need a carb for it, the one he has installed works, but isnt the right one so the throttle cable doesn't fit it when using the factory cable mount...or it could be the throttle cable is the wrong one as well.

i did install my new ignition switch though...lol

Whats the build date on the door jam say? If after Sept then a 5 speed should drop right in. If before, only the dogleg will fit without shortening the drive shaft.

I think there were three? different cables used on the 620. Some you adjust and tighten a lock nut on the cable and mine has a screw that tightens a clamp.

Whats the build date on the door jam say? If after Sept then a 5 speed should drop right in. If before, only the dogleg will fit without shortening the drive shaft.

I think there were three? different cables used on the 620. Some you adjust and tighten a lock nut on the cable and mine has a screw that tightens a clamp.

the door plaque says 12/72

there is a dude here locally that is selling a 40mm side draft setup with manifold for 300...i might do that, but i think the little 1.6L will be overcarb'd

i had to make a little braket to make the cabel reach the weber, i think i used a little s braket that is used to hold big tool boxes to the wall, just drilled some holes and it worked easy.

i thought it was still on the truck, maybe i have it laying around i could take a pic of it if i find it.

so i have to ask, are you going to leave it that blue?

when i first got it i was like, hey thats a nice blue but i still want to paint it. and after a few months there was no way i was going to paint it.

i was looking for a burnt orange one, but blue will do

the door plaque says 12/72

there is a dude here locally that is selling a 40mm side draft setup with manifold for 300...i might do that, but i think the little 1.6L will be overcarb'd

12/'72 wow that's one of the earliest ones!!! BTW I meant Sept '73 when the L18 was used. I think all L16 used the short 510 goon tranny.

12/'72 wow that's one of the earliest ones!!! BTW I meant Sept '73 when the L18 was used. I think all L16 used the short 510 goon tranny.

yeah i knew you were talking about sept 73 :)

so the 510 tranny is the same as mine? did they ever have a 5 speed? there is a guy on CL selling his motor and tranny out of his 510

what is a goon? im assuming wagon. and if so, why is the wagon vs sedan trannies different?

the truck is running like a champ....once it gets warmed up that is. i definitely need to get a different carb, but if i feather it it revs up quite nice....

the water pump needs replaced along with the alternator. but the reason it wasn't running without the aid of ether was simply due to the gas tank being empty.

i found a KA24e with a 5speed tranny on CL for free...just waiting to hear back from the guy...once i get it i will need to go through it im sure, and that will give me time to find a wiring harness/ecu for it

i dont know what the KA24e is from i will ask the guy if and when he gets back to me.

can someone answer this question for me:

will the tranny work in my truck regardless whats its from, or do i need to look for another tranny?

the truck is running like a champ....once it gets warmed up that is. i definitely need to get a different carb, but if i feather it it revs up quite nice....

the water pump needs replaced along with the alternator. but the reason it wasn't running without the aid of ether was simply due to the gas tank being empty.

i found a KA24e with a 5speed tranny on CL for free...just waiting to hear back from the guy...once i get it i will need to go through it im sure, and that will give me time to find a wiring harness/ecu for it

i dont know what the KA24e is from i will ask the guy if and when he gets back to me.

can someone answer this question for me:

will the tranny work in my truck regardless whats its from, or do i need to look for another tranny?

I am pretty sure it will work man. Icehouse did a KA swap on his 620 and IIRC it was ok. Might have to mess with the tranny mount a little bit but screw it. KA powered 620 is win

so the 510 tranny is the same as mine? did they ever have a 5 speed? there is a guy on CL selling his motor and tranny out of his 510

The 620 4 speed is the same as the 510 goon 4 speed for internal gear ratios that is. The 510 sedan has the same transmission but with different ratios.

There were no 5 speeds available for the 510 however the 5 speed from the '77-'79 200sx is the same length and has the speedometer cable on the same side as the 510 and is an excellent swap as the drive shaft does not need shortening. The tranny rear mount will need modification though. The 200sx tranny has a unique shift pattern with reverse above 1st and 5th below 4th like this:

R 2 4

1 3 5

The 5th gear is an overdrive which reduces cruising speed RPM by 14.6% Or if cruise in 4th is 3,00 RPMs shifting to 5th would reduce RPM by 438 to 2,562. NOTE: There are other 5 speeds that can be swapped in requiring drive shaft mods. So find out if buying.

what is a goon? im assuming wagon. and if so, why is the wagon vs sedan trannies different?

Goon is for waGOON yes. The goon and sedan trannys are the same outside and totally interchangeable. Internally the goon has a wide ratio gear set compared to the sedan. A wider ratio means that first gear is much lower geared even though the higher numerically. For example the sedan has a 3.382 to one first gear while the goon has a 3.657 to one. At the same speed the goon will be revved higher and making more power than the sedan or another way to look at it is the goon is able to apply more power over the same distance than the sedan. The goon and the early 620 are designed to and intended to carry cargo and need the extra torque for take offs.