Project Grey_Matter

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i broke down and bit the bullet...i gone and bought a new carb for the truck.

i do have a question about the distributors though. do they make centrifugal advance distributors for our beloved Datsuns? cause i want to get an electronic distributor with centrifigal advance to make tuning alot easier

i want to get an electronic distributor with centrifigal advance to make tuning alot easier

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont they have a centrifical adv already????? weights and springs.

Ones I seen have them.

One can get different springs I think in the Nissanmotorsport catalog.

i dont know about yours, but mine is vacuum advance....get me a part number for one that is electronic ignition with centrifugal advance and i will get one.

all datsun dizzys have a centrifical advance on them also as well as vacuum advance.

what are you looking for? Im not getting what your after.

If you dont have a racing motor I assume a GOOD stock dizzy is good enough. As thats what I run and I have 2 cars with Mikunis sidedrafts.

I think your "overengineering" this

I have seen alot of L motors and most have Matchbox distributors with a vacuum adv diapharam. Hook up is another story depending on your carb set up. If you have stock ,32/36 DGV or SUs I assume if you have a port on the carb somewhere youll use the vacuum adv. Some Mikunis or weber DCOEs dont have a vaccuum port so I assume you wont use it. But most modifield motors will have a quicker adv by replacing the weight and or springs and have the dizzy dialed in.

In My case I just put Pertronix conversions on my point dizzys and run them. Most run fine.

If you have worn out point dizzy that the shaft play wiggles sisde to side this can/will be bad as it premanturely opens the points. Or maybe the weights and spring exploded under neath the plate. Pull dizzy out and spin it. Is it free moving? or point gap adjusted enought? .022 gap

• Like 1

all datsun dizzys have a centrifical advance on them also as well as vacuum advance.

what are you looking for? Im not getting what your after.

If you dont have a racing motor I assume a GOOD stock dizzy is good enough. As thats what I run and I have 2 cars with Mikunis sidedrafts.

I think your "overengineering" this

I have seen alot of L motors and most have Matchbox distributors with a vacuum adv diapharam. Hook up is another story depending on your carb set up. If you have stock ,32/36 DGV or SUs I assume if you have a port on the carb somewhere youll use the vacuum adv. Some Mikunis or weber DCOEs dont have a vaccuum port so I assume you wont use it. But most modifield motors will have a quicker adv by replacing the weight and or springs and have the dizzy dialed in.

In My case I just put Pertronix conversions on my point dizzys and run them. Most run fine.

If you have worn out point dizzy that the shaft play wiggles sisde to side this can/will be bad as it premanturely opens the points. Or maybe the weights and spring exploded under neath the plate. Pull dizzy out and spin it. Is it free moving? or point gap adjusted enought? .022 gap

i just dont want to deal with points and am trying to avoind having to deal with vacuum advance. kinda like the 009 distributor on an air cooled VW

you can buy a 300$ dizzy if you want but its not going to make your truck faster.

take Pac Coast Datsun off to install a dizzy for you. Once you go elecctronic you wont go back

im not trying to make the truck fast at all, im trying to make life simpler by getting rid of the points, and im fully capable of installing the dizzy myself.

i am an aircraft engine mechanic

these are what i fix:

MyMilitaryPics013.jpg

Working on jets dont corrolate with me when it comes to Datsuns.

Get a Matchbox dizzy or even a early Nissan EI remote type(use a GM module) and Pac Coast Datsun can hook up installing them.

Also its sometimes not a drop in as the rotor may point a different direction. Thats why put motor at TDC then install.or you get a mismatched timmimg plate and mount. Make sure you get a matching set

I worked on F15s in Bitburg Germany in late 85-88. Com ,Nav IFF mode4 Radar warning UHF radios and got a f15 ride in Spain once. But I didnt know anything about datsuns at that time.

If you have a single point dizzy soemtimes you can convert ot a Pertronix conversion and use the same coil and ballast resisitor.