Painting the 510

Hey kids, wanna get high? :D Yeah, my garage does not a paintbooth make. And I opted to go the cheap route because hey, it's a rally car. And $40 bucks worth of rattle can is more than enough to make it look respectable! So I finally started masking everything off and bought about 12 cans of Kubota Orange. Happens to be the same color as the 1971 Kubota tractor my dad has! I've hauled more logs with that 13 hp two cylinder diesel than I can count. Seemed a fitting color for the 510.

So I'm a bit painted now, don't recommend this to anyone. I've probably lost what few brain cells I had left. Can't paint outside because it's too cold, though that should improve in the next day or two. Roof is still wet in the picture, got most of the trunk and rear doors. Just need to do front doors and fenders. Been using an electric heater inside the car and a propane heater outside. Surface temp is a perfect 64 degrees, which is good enough to cure. The duplicolor farm implement paint operates from 50-85 degrees.

And yes, I know this is not the proper way to paint the car. But I don't have all new door handles, weatherstrips and trim moulding, so if they come off they probably won't go back on again. Hence, lots of masking. Also, I'm a whiz with a rattle can! Almost no runs, good coverage, not as good as a gun, but damn cheaper.

kubotaorange.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I thought about that. I'd like it to look similar, but no flags are going on the roof. I might paint my rally numbers on the door the same way...maybe.

Yeah, I just had the dust mask. At least it kept the orange from going up my nose, if not the fumes! I feel okay today, probably only killed my liver or something. But the good part is it's nice out and supposed to be for the next week, so I'll probably be able to paint outside for the front doors and fenders.

I could have bought a paint gun from work pretty cheap, just didn't want to. This is definitely a ratsun paint project! :D

Nice. Thats how I painted my Sunny. 87 cent per can flat black, and it looked pretty good. But now it's about time for real paint, so I wet-sanded it and primmed it. I'm gonna go with some good ol' fashioned BRE310. lol

Yah i plan on getting osme heaters, getting my air compressor tank, buying a paint gun and painting mine in my garage. Im going to get that plastic role shit and put on the floor and the walls. I plan on painiting my se-r first to see how well i do, but it rust doing the 510 more myself than someone else, plus it allows you to say that youve done the paint on your far as well >.>

Finally, the 510 is all one color!!! Mostly. Still have a few holes to fix on the back panel, and the roof needs another coat to iron out the inconsistencies. Either way, it's still going to look a ton better, and what better way to show you love for you 510 on 5-10 day than getting her all gussied up!

kborangeside.jpg

kborangeside2.jpg

Finally, the 510 is all one color!!! Mostly. Still have a few holes to fix on the back panel, and the roof needs another coat to iron out the inconsistencies. Either way, it's still going to look a ton better, and what better way to show you love for you 510 on 5-10 day than getting her all gussied up!

kborangeside.jpg

kborangeside2.jpg

Oh poo! How did that happen? Skib, Mike, could one of you kill that double post? Thx!

• Like 1

Lol, nice! It turned out pretty good. A few imperfections, a little run or two. If I cared, I'd wet sand and hit it with clear. But really, I just wanted it to stop looking like a meth-mobile. Now it's a 10-footer sweet ass General Lee impersonator! (Definitely NOT bodyman quality though)

The final results! Came out pretty good, had to do the roof again, had the car tipped at a 30 degree angle so I could keep the can straight. It looked all splotchy because the first time I did it I had the can tipped near horizontal. There's some flakes in the paint, so it unloaded funny. A couple more dustings did the trick.

datsun510a.jpg

datsun510b.jpg

datsun510c.jpg

datsun510d.jpg

• Like 1