someone explain this to me...

Skib

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmmm, that is a good one, broken wire????

it was coming on so I cleaned all the alt wiring and put new connectors on with some electrical jell and it wasnt coming on for a while.

and now its back, but its reading 14v so idk why its on?

My truck runs about the same skib.

ya thats what it should be at, thats why Im confused :huh:

What inspired that? Did it just come on as you were driving?

pretty much, light comes on and the gas gauge goes down, but the lights are fine and the gauge reads 14v

itl go off at random times too and the gas gauge goes back up and then it pops back on again after a bit.

1) Fail(ing) regulator. It's leaving the field circuit on.

2) Failing rectifier. Instead of getting a good DC output it'd be starting to output AC. Sometimes that causes the light to illuminate.

Both above apply to internal and external regulators, the symptoms are the same when they fail.

If you have an external regulator, when it fails it causes the temp and fuel gauges on a 510 to act all weird.

Check your fuses. Sometimes they get corrosion/crud/moisture in them and do funny things. There's a fuse that powers the fuel gauge as well as the voltage regulator and charge light(It's the same circuit). It's a 20A fuse. Try rolling it around in the holder and see if that changes anything.

Yeah, mine drops down a bit at night when lights/heater are on. When its raining & the wipers are on, i can turn my turn signal on or hit my brakes and that really drops it :rofl:

Surprised you haven't replaced it with a different harness by now.

Usually the alt output voltage is on one side of the lamp and the battery power on the other. 12 and 12 so no current flow light out. If alt output drops, current begins to flow from the battery to the alt and the light... lights up.

1) Fail(ing) regulator. It's leaving the field circuit on.

2) Failing rectifier. Instead of getting a good DC output it'd be starting to output AC. Sometimes that causes the light to illuminate.

Both above apply to internal and external regulators, the symptoms are the same when they fail.

If you have an external regulator, when it fails it causes the temp and fuel gauges on a 510 to act all weird.

x2 on this diagnosis. I've seen #2 here stump a lot of people, myself included.

Pull the light bulb?

if the wiring is anything like a late model 610 thats the LAST thing you wanna do the whole charge circut goes threw the damn bulb if the bulb aint there or is bad your not charging

i think datsunaholic hit the nail on the head with this one my first thought as its the regulator cause mine was doing somthing similar but then you said its an ir alt

i think datsunaholic hit the nail on the head with this one my first thought as its the regulator cause mine was doing somthing similar but then you said its an ir alt

idk man, Iv been driving around like this for like a week and the batt has never died and the lights have never dimmed :huh:

my 2 cents would be up closer to the gauge cluster. On the trucks, there a little volt reg that connects to both the temp and fuel gauges. I don't remember on the 510's. I'd look for a common point that would affect both without affecting the lights or charging circuit.

my 2 cents would be up closer to the gauge cluster. On the trucks, there a little volt reg that connects to both the temp and fuel gauges. I don't remember on the 510's. I'd look for a common point that would affect both without affecting the lights or charging circuit.

thats kinda what Im thinkin mike, Im gonna pull the gauge cluster out today and take a poke around.

the fuel gauge has always been off a bit and Iv never used the temp gauge but Eric didnt trust it and put in an after market.