same old threads over and over

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, but I don't know how much that would help... the forums here don't have that many pages to look through anyways, and most of the info is fairly well displayed... Then again, I tend to ask stupid questions too...

I just don't think anyone has the patience to make FAQ threads... the only options are to either keep them locked and moderator controlled, in which case the mods will have to add every new bit of information by hand, or make them open so anyone can post information in them, but then you run the risk of irrelevant posts put in the FAQ thread... again, the moderators have to make sure the posts are relevant...

Unless, only people with a certain number of posts, like 1000+, are allowed to post in FAQ threads... it makes it easier to get information posted, keeps irrelevant information to a minimum, and reduces the amount of work necessary to keep the thread running... but, it would probably require some more programming to make that option available...

actually make a secition/sub-forum that anyone new signing up here had to read on most common asked questions...and then that would give you where to put all them stickies...then anyone who asks something already posted there would get a pm sending them to the right area and the useless posting deleted keeping the forum more neat and orderly

It's funny, I was just talking to my wife about this last night.

I was going to volunteer to organize a bunch of the info. for FAQ's and Tech. to save the headache of asking the same thing over and over.

what about putting the sticky FAQ's and tech with the Write-ups? that way if something is already answered, the person asking can just be directed. I would be willing to volunteer some time to organizing some of the info for one of the Mods.

EDIT: I like what they've done here: a list of project builds, and an FAQ with submissions and links.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12

new users should search. end of story.

That's forum life. Get used to it.

also, if a new user doesn't search then it would be nice to give them a quick answer but kindly suggest they search the forum and ask any questions after doing their own research first.

SIRCH NOOB!

Not to start an argument, but I have to disagree. without common knowledge being available, we end up with disinformation like what started in the Posi thread. It's very easy to search, but if you don't already know what the answer is, how do you know that the info you find is correct?

I vote for a FAQ section. That way we don't have to look at stickies all the time.

Or another thing I've seen is ONE sticky in each section that's a FAQ thread with links to other threads that cover each topic. That way he n00b can go to that thread, and if they REALLY have to ask for clarification, they can then do it in the proper place.

Try cruising nissancustoms, I love the site, but I swear, once a week someone asks about short shifters, cold air intake, or LSD rears.

The thing that bugs me the MOST is when you look at the list of new posts, and there's 2 or more RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER that cover more or less the same thing. (620 rears) BUT such is life, and shit likes this happens on all forums. It's up to the moderators to decide wether to be nazis about it or not, the rest of us just need to smile and answer the questions...keeps us from looking like a site full of assholes (How many assholes are on this ship?)

I agree with Kiznook on this one, nissancustoms has a few options that this forum doesn't have that I like (gallery for instance) but there are still retards on there that ask the same shit every day. I would definitely vote for a FAQ section; not only for the noobs, but for us more knowledgeable folks to be able to revert back to if we have a brain fart.

I think a FAQ section would be cool to, but who wants to build it? The only reason I did the wiring diagram was because some dude got a few guys to send him there wiring diagrams, then he mailed it to me. I opened it in photo shop and changed it a bunch :D I actual got out a few nissan diagrams I had on my computer and made sure it was to my liking. It will take someone dedicated to get it started and finished. I will help where ever I can. I think thats kinda why we made the "How to" section, kinda haha

So who is going to do it :D

like I said, I'd be willing to put some time into it. I'd need some help though, since I'm not the most knowledgeable one here. I'd need to ask some questions of the board, or I could condense multiple threads by copy & paste and then re-post them in one.

These site are invaluable! I appreciate all the help I've gotten. If the threads are the same old everytime then how why all the hits on them. It's my feeling that new people are coming on here all the time. Too bad us new folks can't get replies for the simple questions we have, but it's understandable. I wish I could find the info with out posting a new thread. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

Ahh the holy grail of toyota 4X4 tech...

I go back to this faq over and over for different things all the time. I wheel with a couple of yota trucks and I'm buildig up my moms 4runner.

Kills alot of repeat, repeat questions before their ever asked ;)

EDIT: I like what they've done here: a list of project builds, and an FAQ with submissions and links.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12

I'd be willing to help and I think everyone else can pitch in as well.

We could start up a sticky in general for now as a building thread. People can add links to tech threads on certain subjects then it can be organized and edited. The link makya posted (if your into toyota's or offroading in anyway I recommend the read) isn't updated very often anymore but it did take a while to build.

A resource like that would be invaluable.

Redeye: You mentioned that the link isn't updated very often anymore... isn't that ideally what we're after? The less a forum/thread has to be updated, the more information is already available... it'll take a lot of work for the first couple months, but after that it can be left alone because there'll be little new information. I know that there's always new things to learn, but we're talking about cars that are in the 25-40 year old range... most of what can be learnt already has been.

Is there going to be a search Nazi now ;)?

Why not? I'm the smog Nazi.:D:D

The search function is .... finicky.

You almost have to be an expert on searching.

Sometimes, you don't always clearly know what you want to know. So you end up with 3,467 possibles, or maybe worse only one.

Example: what's the firing order for the L20B. Answer: 324 possible pages, and a days reading about everything from torsion bars to bears, the weather, to weather to install an electric fuel pump.

I've gone to Google typed in the Q and ratsun and got better results.

I don't blame noobs for asking direct questions. There are no stupid questions, and I help if I can, and have never said to use the search function. (seems kind of rude somehow) If the question is, lets say, mundane, I leave it. If someone replies I might add to it, often, others jump in and off we go.

FACs?.... go for it! Maybe one below each topic like Engines, Drivelines, Suspension, Trucks, 510s whatever, instead of stickies. You have a question, you go to Suspensions, click on the FACs and do a quick look about. (I don't know)

mike