After the 1200, the 1600 SSS

datsunbat

Hi folks!

Yesterday I bought a Datsun 1600 SSS!

I'm very happy with it!

The car is a 1971, about 60.000 km's, but reals, I have with me all the receipts, and the last time it went on the nissan dealer was in 1995 with 57.300 km's, to make a revision!

One owner, I'm the second and always garage, and the only part with rust is in the gas, magnificent!

I think it was a great deal!

It's grey, the painting is the original, all the leather, tires (I have both, special and series)) completely new, new exhaust, and some extras...

I made with it 400 km's...From Barcelos to Nisa...it consumed 35 euros, but at the speed of 100, 110 km's\h.

The car will be restored like my Datsun 1200, but it will just happen in summer. For now, I will test the mechanical components, and after it it will be painted...I think I don't have much to do...but Mr.Vitorino has the final word!

Hope you like it, and if you can tell me some things about this model, or some detail that is wrong on this one, fell free...because the SSS model is completely new for me!

Here are the photos...

Cumps.

Mário

1267544320776146381foto.jpg

1267544320776146382dats.jpg

1267544320776146383dats.jpg

1267544320776146383dats.jpg

1267544320776146385dats.jpg

1267544320776146386dats.jpg

1267544320776146387dats.jpg

1267544320776146388carr.jpg

1267544320776146389foto.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch out boys....this could be the start of another build thread, this one looks pretty good and the 1200 was perfect when finished. So, any plans??? and x2 on more pics

Hi again!

Thanks guys!

JDM510: Thank you, pictures now available! It isn´t original, but the owner instaled it a long time ago, I'll respect it and will stay!

skunktruckin: Thank you, the car needs attnetion to details and a painting! New photos...

sssr20det510: Thank you! The car is like new, the exception is the painting, but its the original one, so, 39 years old...

Refresh: Thank you!

KELMO: you're right! Another ambitious project, but with less things to do!!! The car has just 2 points of rust, so, Mr.Vitorino has almost none work to do! But the attention to details...light work to do!!! In 2 weeks I'll put the car new, but I'll wait for the summer, when I«ll be on vacations, and in that time I will spent all day long working on it...umtil then, the car will roll every weekend, along with hs brother, the 1200! Thank you!

inline4: The consol isn't the original of the car, but I'll keep it...the exception will be the manometers, they are Smith, and I'll change them to Yakazi!

I can't be at home without thinking in driving the car...so this afternoon I went into litle ride to make a better apreciation of the vehicle condition!

It has got some work to do...not much, but I want it like its brother the 1200!

Here I let you some pictures of its status...not much rust, just some details!!!

Hope you like it!

A new painting needed...

sss001.jpg

The symbol need to be relocate...

sss002r.jpg

This symbol is switched...

sss004.jpg

sss005.jpg

Some rust, I think its because of the gas...dion't know, but in this place...Mr.Vitorino will make his appreciation...eheheh

sss006.jpg

sss024.jpg

Little restoration...

sss007.jpg

New brushes and decolour the brushes...

sss008.jpg

The mirror not the original...

sss009.jpg

all the interiors are like new...no intervention needed...

sss011.jpg

sss012.jpg

sss013.jpg

sss014.jpg

After the tryp...

sss015.jpg

Doors...

sss016.jpg

sss017.jpg

sss018.jpg

Spare tyre in good condition!

sss020.jpg

Almost nothing to do on the back, the exception is the symbol...

sss022.jpg

sss021.jpg

sss023.jpg

The engine compartment, need an extra clean. All the tubes were changed and mechanicaly is excelent...

sss025.jpg

sss032.jpg

some more detail to improve!

sss028.jpg

The hood needs Mr.vitorino!!!

sss031.jpg

And what about this extra??? ehehe!

sss026.jpg

This rubber is missing!

sss034.jpg

Need more atention!

sss035.jpg

Some pictures...

sss036.jpg

sss037.jpg

sss038.jpg

sss010.jpg

Shit, that sucker's perfect!!!! I am so jealous right now! And unlike most 510s, the rear panel doesn't look like it's filled with bondo, how about that?! The interior is amazing, especially the console with the 4 guages. That must be aftermarket, anyone know who makes it?

That is seriously one of the most beautiful stock 510's I have ever seen! Diggin the console and the near mint interior! I agree it looks like it is riding high, but for a near mint stock dime with 60k on it, I say leave it! I am HUGELY envious right now :P Nice score :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

Hi mates!

Thank you all for the comments...

Finally I’m free for work on the car…I was expecting this moment anxiously…now the restore!

datzenmike: Thank you! You're right, but I'll not make that modification, I like the car as it is, and I'm going to put it into its original aspect, even the alloys...you'll like too!

Jesse C: Thank you for your trust in me! I'll not desapoint, I suppose. The car will went to full resto shortly, but Mr.Vitorino has his wife sick and its not shure when she will recover, and so Mr.Vitorino will not work until then on the car. And worst, my sister gets married on September and she asked me to lead her in the 510, so I'll not make for now great improvements, but I'll do my best.

HRH: Thank you. You're right, It was lucky I guess. The rear panel, and not onlyu but the all car, doesn'r have signs of bondo, and I have noted rust just in 2 or 3 parts, but superficial. The car was kept during almost his life, and specially last 15 years covered in a garage, that's the reason. I think was kind a found...It's in great shape. The console, for shure it's aftermaket. but I don't care, and if the only owner of the car instaled, I'll not take it of. But honestly I rather like the original one. I think here in Portugal we can found consoles like this for selling. I can search if you can!

Logical1:Thank you. That's the reason for not upgrade the car and put new stuff. The car is pretty as it is, just some arrengements in metal.

There are things tha I inevetabily got to change, but not much. I agree with you, a beautiful stock car.

fastdadd: Thank you. ehehehehehhehehe...

rzrdisco: Thank you. The wheels are cosmic, british I suppose. Here in Portugal there were 3 or 4 brands that came with the car, and this brand, cosmic, were one of it. There were Cosmic, BWA, GT and I don't remember the other...It's nice, but wait to see the ones I have for it. An old BWA Milano, not common on SSS.I'll put photos later on.

inline4: The car is portuguese, but the owner worked in USA for many years, that's the reason for the badge. But personally I enjoy old muscle cars like dodge challenger, sting ray corvette, camaro, mustang and many others. But Datsun...I love it!

During this week I made some upgrades, parts, brakes, radiator and other stuff…

I’m in a hurry; I need to have the car ready, at least painted for my sister’s wedding. She has a great taste, she chosed the car to lead her to the church…so…I need to make some work as much as I can…but I think it will be quick! I hope so.

Last week, I had bad luck, first it blows a water tube, and second I have lost the Wheel lock! Now all troubles gone and I return to work last Monday. I didn’t know that wheel locks have special codes and stuff like that, the lucky was that the fabricator is portuguese

Let’s check the photos…hope you like it!

The car in the garage when I changed the tubes…because they were two, a small ones…

datsun1600sss38.jpg

The famous…

datsun1600sss42.jpg

The fend...

datsun1600sss41.jpg

I change the tubes and made an upgrade, taking care of the parts.

datsun1600sss43.jpg

datsun1600sss40.jpg

All went good and no water lost…

datsun1600sss39.jpg

datsun1600sss35.jpg

datsun1600sss36.jpg

datsun1600sss37.jpg

datsun1600sss33.jpg

datsun1600sss24.jpg

The fuse box had a little mistake, no fuse on the blades and horn section, it was direct…it could be very dangerous, but now it’s solved

datsun1600sss10.jpg

datsun1600sss9.jpg

Then I went on the details restore…

The engine-room lamp…

before...

datsun1600sss29.jpg

After…

datsun1600sss26.jpg

datsun1600sss18.jpg

Water tank…

Before…

datsun1600sss56.jpg

datsun1600sss55.jpg

datsun1600sss54.jpg

After…

datsun1600sss22.jpg

The tension regulator…

Before…

datsun1600sss23.jpg

After…

datsun1600sss20.jpg

datsun1600sss19.jpg

Then, with all the water system out I cleaned the radiator and paint it.

Before…

datsun1600sss34.jpg

After…

datsun1600sss25.jpg

The lower protection…

datsun1600sss21.jpg

There are many more details to do…but no rush on it…

datsun1600sss17.jpg

Then the brakes…I enjoyed a lot do all the work by myself, it’s very pleasant, no one to distract and full concentration…

I bought new drums, new brake pads, wheel cylinder and all the other parts…

datsun1600sss50.jpg

datsun1600sss51.jpg

datsun1600sss49.jpg

Parts treated…

datsun1600sss53.jpg

datsun1600sss5.jpg

datsun1600sss6.jpg

datsun1600sss7.jpg

datsun1600sss27.jpg

datsun1600sss4.jpg

datsun1600sss3.jpg

And finally both sides restored…

datsun1600sss2.jpg

The next step is the exhaust system, you can see in the Picture how bad it is…

datsun1600sss30.jpg

I bought this gear box kit to put it as soon as I can…

datsun1600sss44.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the photos…I enjoyed the work I’ve been done!

After work, nothing like a ride to make a test.

Regards

Mário

datsun1600sss45.jpg

datsun1600sss46.jpg

datsun1600sss47.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi friends!

After two weeks on vacations, I start to recover more parts from the car!

The car hás a complete new line of exhaust system and is in the paintshop. Maybe this week the painter call me to pick it up! But Monday I’ll be deliverting to him the parts ready to be installed!

SoCal Rotarito: Thak you! You're right...This time I was very lucky! When I started to search a SSS's I saw more than 20, and none was as good as this! This is low lilleage, rust free and I'm the second owner! It's brilliant. but one friend of mine was crucuial because he knew the guy and he was leaving to south Africa in work...so in 2 days I bought the car just from pictures!!! Insane!

About my sister wedding, no prolem I'll take tons of pictures and I'll inserted here!

Now the SSS…

Regards

Mário

In this Picture are the rubbers to substitute! Side headlights, wiper arms and bonnet!

datsunsss076.jpg

Now the parts…

datsunsss079.jpg

In detail…

datsunsss082.jpg

datsunsss086.jpg

Then the restore start. First I make a clean with alcohol, then the parts are cleaned and painted according to the original colors.

datsunsss090.jpg

The red first

datsunsss091.jpg

Then the white

datsunsss096.jpg

And the black. This one was only applied when the side grills were painted too.

datsunsss096.jpg

Now the side grills…I use the same color order!

Red…

datsunsss093.jpg

datsunsss094.jpg

white

datsunsss111.jpg

datsunsss112.jpg

And the black application…

datsunsss104.jpg

datsunsss102.jpg

And the final result…sorry for the pictures…I don’t know what went wrong with the camera!

datsunsss113.jpg

I cleaned the legends with an alluminium polishing…

datsunsss118.jpg

The front grill, it was not bad at all…

datsunsss390.jpg

datsunsss392.jpg

datsunsss393.jpg

And finally, my father make a rubber for the mirror…got nice!!!

datsunsss400.jpg

And during the next week the car should be ready to the wedding day…hope so…or my sister will kill me…

Hope you enjoyed…

Mário

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

datto510: Thanks! I did my best recovering that parts! Hard work, but beatiful at the end! Tehy are now instaled and they are very nice! Thanks!

SoCal Rotarito: Thank you! And you were right! The prettiest car of the entire wedding! Is like brand new! Success!

As you know, the main aim was getting the car prepared to my sister’s wedding…I made it!

The car looks very good now, and I just make a painting!

I’m living a dilema, the car is rust free, no damage on parts and mechanicaly is excelent…I don’t know If I should make the same as I did to my 1200!

But now the photos!

These are the first ones, them I put some more!

Hope you like it!

Regards

Mário

When my sister left home…

sssnocasamento.jpg

sssnocasamento1.jpg

sssnocasamento2.jpg

At church’s door…few seconds of getting married!

sssnocasamento3.jpg

sssnocasamento4.jpg

sssnocasamento5.jpg

sssnocasamento6.jpg

sssnocasamento7.jpg

Waiting the grooms…

sssnocasamento8.jpg

On the celebration place…some cool pics.

sssnocasamento9.jpg

sssnocasamento10.jpg

And with a sunny day, nothing better than cooling it and putting it away from other’s cars!

sssnocasamento11.jpg

sssnocasamento12.jpg

Hope you enjoyed it!

Mário