Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK the hollow banjo bolt is too long and bottom out so I have to trim 1/8" off

74strutswapjune13018Large.jpg

74strutswapjune13019Large.jpg

74strutswapjune13020Large.jpg

74strutswapjune13022Large.jpg

Nice and snug now.

Here is the difference in pads. The larger right side is the old L18s and the left is the '77 710. The '77s are sure smaller but the rotor is slightly larger too. The smaller ones look almost like my 620 pads and they would stop a truck!!!

74strutswapjune13016Large.jpg

I adjust the ride height by jacking a chunk of wood up under the lower spring perch compressing the spring against the car's weight. Slide the split collar up and tighten it. Put wheels on, lower and measure how much more or less you need to move it.

74strutswapjune13023Large.jpg

74strutswapjune13025Large.jpg

74strutswapjune13026Large.jpg

For me bottom of strut tube  9" to bottom of split collar seems ok. I might like lower but this is for Mrs D and I still have to see if the spring and the ATF will prevent bottoming out on the fender lip when the wheels are turned. Oh yeah.... still have to bleed the brakes.

74strutswapjune13027Large.jpg

Did look like this....

74710with200sxrims001Large.jpg

• Like 2

Oh..... was I stating the obvious??? Really was I???

I know I did this on my goon years ago and it was an absolute fucker to pry the LCA down to get strut out and back in.

No man, I was being totally genuine. I had not tried that. Thanks for the tip B)

Well today I reset the ride height on my goon. It has always rubbed on sharp low speed turns specially if accompanied by any bumps. I added 1" at the strut which seemed to lift it even further out at the wheel. This is likely like a rocker arm ratio. Anyway gliding over a nearby RR crossing the split collar slipped and the tire started rubbing. I limped home and reset them both at 3/4" added (down 1/4") and tacked the struts with some weld. Fuck that shit. I'll do the sedan too, Christ I can't have Mrs. D in that situation!!!!

I guess I'm just limp wristed. Took the rims off and with Mrs.D's help bled the brakes. Then I re-tightened the split collars with a wire feed wrench.

So she says take it out for a good thrashing and make sure it's fine, I want to drive it to work. I said... I thought the insurance was up on it. She says no good to Aug. Fuck the only reason for swapping the struts was I thought it was off the road... I would have put it off longer. lol.

So off I go. Wow the Falcons are quiet and the compliance really eats up road noise. Smooth and vibration free. Bumps don't rattle body panels and the glove box. Held at just under 80 on the freeway then 85 for a few Kms to be sure.... yup, I guess the fuel filter was clogging, no hesitation at all. Steering is ok.... I check the toe later. It runs straight but needs watching. Could just be wider softer tires. Brake pedal is noticeably softer than the 'stepping on a brick' it was before. Maybe these calipers are slightly larger. Will check for wet spots later in case I didn't get the lines and banjo fittings tight enough.

Feels fine on bumps. I would like firmer but I don't have to drive or like it. Right now it has 8-12W ATF in it. I have 20W in the goon. Also I increased the spring rate in front but did nothing yet to the rear leaf springs... or the shocks. Maybe better to replace shocks and add some spring first.

• Like 1

I'm reading this page, getting psyched to put new struts in the front of my 710. Thanks for documenting all of your process!

Where do you go to get new rubber "O" rings to rebuild struts? The ZX struts that are going in are in pretty good shape, but they'll need at least some new oil for sure.

There was just a small square edged 'o' ring below the gland nut. I didn't take the dampers apart at all. Likely the valves might be worn??? who knows, but thicker oil is harder to push through the orifices so it increases the effort and stiffens the action. I used ATF but just to try something thinner.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I start her up every 6 months or so. Always fires on second turn. Wife says to insure both or get rid of. I'm near retirement so maybe then and will drive her more.

Do me a favor, if you ever decided to get rid of the 710 look me up first, at least give me a crack at taking it off your hands :)

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Assuming I did start the '74 on the last post it hasn't been started until today.... over a year of sitting  Hardest part was getting the jumper cables on snug. Dribbled some weed eater gas in the carb and voila! One turn and fired right up. Moved it over a meter or so because we're putting a small shed up in the driveway. Brakes are sad. Thinking about putting it in storage.  

• Like 2

That old girl always did fire up well after sitting. When I first got it in Vic the original owners had passed away so I have no idea how long it sat, we used a come along to load it but I'm pretty sure it drove off the trailer with a fresh battery lol

• Like 1

When used somewhat regularly it fires on less than a turn. It turned over really slowly till I got the battery cables on properly but maybe the carb was empty. Dribble of gas and bang on the first turn again. Always was a great starter. Has new exhaust on it.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I start her up every 6 months or so. Always fires on second turn. Wife says to insure both or get rid of. I'm near retirement so maybe then and will drive her more.

Well I think I've sold the '74 without even trying. Guy came up to me earlier this week in a parking lot eyeing the goon and I mentioned I had a sedan also. He dropped by and looked at it and gave me his number. I didn't call but said maybe I would and maybe I'd fire it up for him this weekend. Well he showed up so I guess interested after all. We fired it up and I turned it around so it will load on a flatbed trailer under it's own steam. I checked.... in July it will have been sitting in the lawn for 5 years. It's not fair to the car (or the lawn) and maybe someone else can have some fun with it. I went through my junk pile and found a spare rear window, two sets of rear lights, two rear marker lamps, the original steering wheel etc, and put them in the car. All things that won't fit the goon. Has the nice new muffler, S110 200sx factory mags too, the KA 90 amp alt. and a matchbox. If the brakes were bled and put right I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to Quebec right now, which is where it may end up. 

• Like 2

(yeah I saw that :blush: ) It's spur of the moment and the car has suffered from sitting so it's not like 5 years ago. Sorry Tolkmod, my bad. The other things are, doing it fast so less time for feeling bad about it and honestly, it needs a home. Time to let go....

• Like 1