My island '74 710

datzenmike

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Sedan is painted..... the right color. Pictures don't do it justice.

74710paint005Large.jpg

74710paint001Large.jpg

74710paint002Large-1.jpg

74710paint004Large.jpg

In shadow it's almost black it's so dark, in sunlight it sparkles from the pearl added. It's a perfect match to the original color but with with a metallic/pearl (I don't know how to describe something that has to be seen to be appreciated) :) There is also a layer of pollen dust on it.

Sedan is painted..... the right color. Pictures don't do it justice.

74710paint005Large.jpg

She's shexy Mike! I like the color, it really sets her off just right. :thumbup:

Together at last!! Black Cherry. Looks black in the shade

74710paintLarge.jpg

Picked her up yesterday and drove her home. We weren't in any hurry so it's been at a friend's shop since last fall being worked on in spare time. First thing, I replaced the right rear wheel cylinder and shoes... bad leak. I got two sets of slots on my trip to Canby and look's like 13's will work. The wide ones on the back rubbed on a bad bump on the way home. Now have to select some tires for them. The car looks so much better without the side bumper strip... had it removed and the holes welded up. Also welded up were the two side mirror holes. The plan is to put my goon ones on the sedan and install my GM remote control units. The headliner at the back needs work but I have a line on an upholstery shop that does this sort of thing.

Wow looks killer mike, if your ever down island make sure you stop by

I definitely will Grahem. Thanks for getting me into these great little cars! I remember your ad in VIDE and just shrugged. All I could visualize was some rusty B-210 style mid '70s car. Glad we met. I hope I've brought this car along the way you would have liked to see it done.

Well, finished bleeding the rear brakes and put the stock wheels and covers back on and the car is, for today, done. Mrs. d is ecstatic from her drive around the neighborhood.

710ontheroad001Large.jpg

710ontheroad003Large.jpg

'She-who-must-be-obeyed' in her car.

710ontheroad005Large.jpg

Just for you Kevin...

710ontheroad008Large.jpg

For ratsun

710ontheroad009Large.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Well today I got the PM off so as the weather was so nice I swapped the 710s around so I could drive the sedan next month. The goon fired up on a 1/2 bump of the key!!! The sedan was weird. I had the booster cables on and it would start but no ALT or OIL light. Fuse was broken, not melted so again, never trust them, replace. Anyway got the goon out and down the street for a short drive while the sedan warmed up. Swapped places. Mrs. d is not going to be happy. Looks like the paint on the roof has some funny small bubbles. We hope to drive it to a wedding next month and want it looking nice. Probably rain anyway and no one will notice.

feb1312Large.jpg

I does! Actually very dusty from the breathable car cover on it all winter. Mrs d tells me it will be insured tomorrow!! Woot! I want to put some miles on it before trusting it to go to the wedding with us. I should be fine.... was driven daily last summer without a problem but it's been sitting since last Sept. Our winter car, a Sundance, is making a funny squeak from the brake drum on the back. Maybe a broken spring? Anyway I want to fix it because this is the car that allows us to park the 710s for the worst rainy, cold and salted roads part of the winter months.

I noticed some mosquito bite looking blisters on the roof where the paint has bubbled up. Very small but mrs. d is going to shit, I just know it. Remember when we had it painted? the can was mislabeled and some left over purple Jeep color had been stored in it. It had to be re-painted the correct color and maybe the stuff under is affecting it? Here's the wrong color....

74paintjob004Large.jpg

74paintjob002Large.jpg

Was that a single stage paint? ..... . or was it a base coat then clear coat?? ....... .. best case scenario is the clear coat is bubbling

..... either way it was most likely a contaminent that got "dripped" onto the roof after the final sanding ... . . it could even be sweat from the painter .... :lol:

But seeing as you have 2 paintjobs ontop of eachother I wouldn't be worried about rust .... . . just the wife's reaction .... :lol:

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Damn straight drive it Mike :D

I would say the worst of the weather is over with,and we didnt get much bad weather anyhow.

I insured the white car yesterday,its now my daily driver :D

The paint issue,could be solvent pop,or due to the cover on it moisture got in it(sweat from the heat on the sunny days)and not fully being able to breathe through the cover,the best thing if not under a sort of shelter is just in the wide open.