My island '74 710

datzenmike

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks but no. It's spent it's life in Victoria till after 2002 when the owner died. His daughter tried unsuccessfully to sell it for some time. It was eventually bought and trailered up island to Duncan the ownership paperwork eventually following a year later but never put on the road... and sat until I 'acquired' it just before X mass '09. Has 26K miles (it's a '74 so the year before Canada switched to KPH) and has the original exhaust system and mufflers....

The part number checks out for a 710 sedan.

710projectbegin021Large.jpg

That's 60 MPH up drive around town and 50 back. If you were to do a steady double nickel would be higher. Right now its an automatic so :fu: to the auto haters. It also has a 4.11 rear end. Have a dogleg for it too somewhere.

It was overcast but fairly mild today... just right for a Datsun cruise.

Thanks for doing the conversion from metric to English Standard, for the bitches.

Just got back from Campbell River and have 69 miles and 10.37 liters of gas used... 30.26 MPG!!!! Bitches!!!

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Just got back from Campbell River and have 69 miles and 10.37 liters of gas used... 30.26 MPG!!!! Bitches!!!

:cool:

was a great day to drive a datsun, I drove white into town a few times today :lol:

rainging now tho

Thanks for doing the conversion from metric to English Standard, for the bitches.

'Course our gallons are bigger so unfortunately that works out to 25.2 MP u.s. G

:cool:

was a great day to drive a datsun, I drove white into town a few times today :lol:

rainging now tho

Have to get your address.

'Course our gallons are bigger so unfortunately that works out to 25.2 MP u.s. G

I remember when I was a kid, seeing signs at gas stations in Buffalo that warned customers about big, expensive, IMPERIAL Gallons across the border!

I remember when I was a kid, seeing signs at gas stations in Buffalo that warned customers about big, expensive, IMPERIAL Gallons across the border!

They are predicting $1.50 to $1.60 a litre this summer... :blink:

As of today.... 1.17......big difference for a gallon north of the border

Guest 510kamikazifreak

They are predicting $1.50 to $1.60 a litre this summer... :blink:

As of today.... 1.17......big difference for a gallon north of the border

$139.9 for 89 oc here now(131.9 for 87 oc) :lol: has to be better fuel, right?,its worth moar :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Well the car ran fine for our wedding trip. Once with heater, lights and wipers on we pulled to a stop and the car let out a screech that went away when I turned the heater down. Belt may have been wet and I have the KA 90 amp alt on it so that's quite a load on it. I'll check the belt this weekend. Yesterday I replaced the the 38 year old heater hoses as the short one from the head was wet. Wasn't looking forward to this as working under the dash beside the heater is a bitch... but surprize!!! The 710's brass heater pipes stick through the firewall and are easy to get at. The hose wanted to kink slightly on the 90 degree bend from the head to the firewall. I put a spare hose clamp on the kink and gently tightened it and squashed the kink into a round shape. Good to go.

Bless Nissan for this. At least on the 710 you don't leak coolant all over the interior when changing a hose. Speaking of hoses there is more room out here to get rid of hose kinks than behind the heater core inside the car.

710heater004Large.jpg

This was the only tight area and also where it was wet. Could have tightened the hoses but they are 38 years old so I replaced and with SS gear clamps. This short length kinked so I put agear clamp on the kink and tightened it till it was round. Works for me.

710heater002Large.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well this spring when I got the sedan back on the road I was disappointed to find 'bumps in the (new) paint job. They were like acne pimples scattered randomly over the entire roof and the trunk. Maybe 3mm across no bigger. Also when waxing I found a rough painted area below the right headlight and another near the antenna. I ran into the guy who does the painting and told him about it and he said to come by. Well 6 weeks later we did... the bumps have gone down but you can just see their outline. So he figures that he should have waited at least a week before repainting the car. Remember ? It got painted the wrong color and had to be done over again? The first paint probably wasn't 'cured' enough and bubbled, or something. So he's agreed to repaint it and this will fix the other two or three bad spots at the same time. Oh yeah when the windshield trim is off more sealer can be added as there is still a small leak at the top.

This can all be done once I get my goon insured for Canby and Mrs. D can use it to get to work. This paves the way for having the goon painted this fall or winter. Haven't decided on a color. It's pale yellow right now and i don't really care for it much.. wrong end of the spectrum... I'm more of a green or blue guy.

710rearsuspension015Large.jpg

I had a new '70 Dart back in the day and it was colored 'Sub Lime' like the Challenger below...

1970fj5.jpg.pagespeed.ce.osqUeDgGTA.jpg

I never liked it much and changed it to 'Sassy Grass Green' below.

1971fj6.jpg.pagespeed.ce.PstJ3kHYZe.jpg

I always thought the Lime was to light and the Sassy green was just right with black hood, black vinyl roof and stripe.

Can anyone photoshop the Sassy Grass Green color onto my yellow goon???

I used to have a pic's of a 710 wagon in that color (sassy green / lime green ) a few weeks ago but deleted it. That lime green on the 710 stood out like a sore thumb. May I suggest another green and I think it's also a Mopar color. A friend of mine painted his 69 Dart GT a darker green, not sure what it's called but if you like it, I can call him and ask. Anyways LMK

what it looks like with the sun light on it.

IMG_7956.jpg

no sun light.

IMG_7958.jpg

Were you inspired by that lime green 610 goon that just showed up on Ratsun?

Here's my best quick photoshop of a quick Sassy Grass 710

Sassy_710.jpg

As far as greens go, I really like Datsun's "Leaf Green." It's a great 1970's green - kinda on the yellowish end of the spectrum, but not an avocado green.

63001_877774.jpeg

No, my Dart was originally SubLime green which is quite light snot green. The Sassy Grass is several shades darker and I don't think anyone would call it 'lime'.

Sassy_710.jpg

This getting there but needs darker. This has too much yellow in it still and not enough blue. Can you use the same color on the second Challenger I posted ?

1971fj6.jpg.pagespeed.ce.PstJ3kHYZe.jpg

Barely noticeable right? Ha ha ha well better to try it here than paint it for real.