My island '74 710

datzenmike

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mike, once it snows this weekend, the car will likely be there til March... it ain't going nowhere...

Gordie (the owner) was mentioning he was contemplating on welding a cherry picker in the back of it. :blink:

Who knows.

Also.....the windshield was leaking when I was there....no doubt going to fuck up the dash and or.....

mike, once it snows this weekend, the car will likely be there til March... it ain't going nowhere...

Good. Long as a bear doesn't move into it.

Gordie (the owner) was mentioning he was contemplating on welding a cherry picker in the back of it. :blink:

Who knows.

Also.....the windshield was leaking when I was there....no doubt going to fuck up the dash and or.....

So is it running? Not much sense doing that if it doesn't drive.

• 3 weeks later...

Swapped my S110 factory mags onto the '74 today. Forgot I bought a crap tire electric impact wrench last year for X-mass. Wow impressed!

710wheelswap001Large.jpg

They are 5.5 JJ 14" off an '82 or '83 200sx, thanks for them Jason. Will try polishing them later.

710wheelswap004Large.jpg

710wheelswap002Large.jpg

710wheelswap003Large.jpg

Yes needs lower.

Never used one but today I remembered while leaning on the lug wrench. It's a Mastercraft 3KO Impact Wrench Kit 054-1216-4 with 1/2" drive 4,000 B(eats)?Per Min? 220 ft lb torque so in theory will remove that 27mm crank pully bolt. comes with case and unfortunately some imperial sockets, too bad.

• 1 month later...

Well after much procrastination we delivered the '74 to a friend that does body work. The 710 has been in minor skirmishes and poorly repaired and there are several leaks around front and rear glass. So after about 2 weeks we dropped in to discuss things... holy shit work has jumped farther ahead than I had thought. The doors from my Goon part car are not needed now as the ones on it are all welded up.

74710bodywork013Large.jpg

74710bodywork012Large.jpg

74710bodywork003Large.jpg

The very back corner has been dinged previously and not properly hammered out. Instead mud was just troweled on and shaped and painted. Now it's right.

74710bodywork011Large.jpg

The metal that holds and supports the bottom of the glass is toast so this will be welded up properly. Even the trunk had some pin holes from moisture.

74710bodywork001Large.jpg

74710bodywork005Large.jpg

More holes front pass side. I tried to seal this but the best thing is to weld it up.

74710bodywork009Large.jpg

Small rot on driver's side but it didn't leak at least. It will be welded to make a good seal with the glass.

74710bodywork008Large.jpg

Driver's door was caved in and is now welded up. Anyone remember this door when I had it at Canby? Well this is what it used to look like. The elderly owner had problems parking without hitting things....

GRAHEMBLASCO007Large.jpg

One last thing the body molding or bumper guard that runs the length of the 710s is not glued on as I thought. It's held on with a series of rivets that leave holes.These have or will be welded up. I'm also having the side mirrors removed and holes filled so I can start fresh.

Terry the gut doing the work is working to restore a '48 Chev panel van. here's a picture. Work has been ongoing for about a year and $20K

48ChevPaneltruckLarge.jpg

This is wild but at the shop was a guy who asked us if we were from Royston and did we own another Datsun, a yellow goon!!!! We said yes and he said he had also owned it and that I was now the 4th owner! He told me that it was from Nevada, I was told California but it was all second hand info. That couple towed it to BC behind a Winnebago and eventually kept it here for when they came up for holidays. Anyway his daughter? knew this couple and when they wanted to get rid of the ca,r brought them together and he bought it from them. He had it and fixed it up, drove it for years and gave it to the lady I got it off. It was a back yard body shop with friends dropping in and beer drinking so I told the guy we'd get together some other day and I'd write this all down with some dates, I' only going from memory on this and he had been drinking. lol

Hi rich. Yeah next w/end. I can get my boy to come over and help with that motor I would think.

Mrs.d (she-who-must-be-obeyed) and I agree on a Chrysler 'Black Cherry' color that is a dark dark maroon with red metallic highlights. I'll get an example but I would most prefer a red so dark it is almost black, but we'll see.

I will definitely talk with the previous owner again and write everything down and put in the car's folder.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow i didnt think it had rot like that good to see the old girl getting fixed up, if it was still mine it would likly still be sitting in the alley waiting for someone to work on it