Datsun vs. Courier?

73super

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I owned a 84 Mazda that was the last year before they changed the style. I also had a 78 Courier longbed, they where both customs. I sold the 78 years ago, and the 84 is sitting in a barn in Lake Chelan, Been there for going on 7yrs...I fired the engine one summer going over to my parents cabin and I havent touched it since.I liked that body style. I would like to do a body dropped one one day...But I would probly never get to it....Just like my 84....I'd post pics but I am an idiot and cant figure it out....:confused::confused::o

I don't think your a turn-coat at all! BUT outside of Datsun my vote would be for a Toyota Stout! Man they make for a sweet looking rat rod shop truck look! I LOVE the turn signals over the fenders.

Beyond that I also dig the Mazda REPU. I've read it was the fastest of the import trucks when it was out.

0605mt_02_z1973_toyota_stout_rk101f.jpg

0605mt_01_z1973_toyota_stout_rk101f.jpg

The 72ish courier is way cool.1800 motor.My brother in law had one and has another now.I myself prefer the mazda 4 headlight grill to the ford.The REPU is the shit though.Cool woodgrain dash.The old Yotas are cool too.But of course...nothing beats a Datsun.

What about a rotary truck? My personal choices would be a '74 Rotary truck and a early 70's Hilux if I were going more for the classic collection.

Yes, those too. Had a buddy in high school that had one and that (2wd) would go places that the 4x4's couldn't. All he had on it was a wider tire in the back with chains and that thing was unstoppable. Very hard to find. Definitely something I would add to the stable.

I appreciate all the cool feedback. I was expecting a bunch of flack.. appreciate the appreciation of all mini trucks. Going to HS in the 70's we all had mini trucks. We all respected each others trucks.. everything from Datsuns, Couriers and even a Chevy Luv... :D

i am a firm believer that any vehicle can be cool in the right hands. the slowest "piece of crap" can be turned into something cool if you have the right plans... i always hated those four door saturns, it's like an sc2 or something, but then i saw one that these guys bought and turbo charged. had less than 500 bucks in it, over 150k miles on the motor before the turbo. they got it for free and made a turbo system real quick with some parts they had layin around, decided to just boost it till it blew up and then scrap it. they ended up street racing in it for like 6 months or so and sold it for a grand. still looked like a stupid saturn, but it would run with the best of them on the street and made them some money for another project, seems pretty cool to me...

as far as trucks... there are few "ugly" trucks. and even the "ugly" ones can be made to look cool or at least perform well enough that you can look past the bad design.

and i think anything you customize to your own personal taste deserves some consideration.

I don't think your a turn-coat at all! BUT outside of Datsun my vote would be for a Toyota Stout! Man they make for a sweet looking rat rod shop truck look! I LOVE the turn signals over the fenders.

Beyond that I also dig the Mazda REPU. I've read it was the fastest of the import trucks when it was out.

0605mt_02_z1973_toyota_stout_rk101f.jpg

0605mt_01_z1973_toyota_stout_rk101f.jpg

Now that's cool... kind of looks like a '65 Ford.

I've looked into them but I still prefer the smooth body lines of the Datsun 620.

I totally get that, especially with the 620 KC. Beautiful sleek lines. Yummy!

But 73 super already has a 620, so he has that covered!

I've looked into them but I still prefer the smooth body lines of the Datsun 620.

Yes.. I won't deny that the 620 is "it" when it comes to mini trucks. Hey there was a Mazda that had double headlights.. correct? What year was that? I haven't seen one in a long time. Didn't realize the earlier Couriers were so hard to come by either. More motivation when they're harder to find.

get your flack jacket ready. not all mini trucks were created equally. that being said nobody makes mini trucks anymore so there all nostalgic. datsun was the first by a couple decades and didn't sub out there chit like mazda/courier and isuzu/luv or whoever made who. i do like the courier the best and would own a fairly mint one maybe:confused:. i think 72 was the first year of the courier. talk about a late start. not even vw had a mini truck back in the day and their car sales smashed datsun into the ground. little did they know what datsun was starting. back then you had to make your own vw truck by hacking up a micro bus.

I've never seen a courier, but that Mazda looks pretty spiffy... I didn't like the over-the-fender turn indicators at first, but they grow on you... and yeah, it looks a lot larger than it really is... I didn't realize how small it was until I actually took a good look inside the cab and saw the guy in it. Takes a good design to make something that proportional, I think.

As for your next project... what kind of truck are you thinking of making? Something for speed, or something for cruising? Or are you restoring it? I don't remember seeing pictures of your 620, but from the avatar picture it looks like you've restored it... if you've already got a daily driver, and don't feel the need to restore another truck, then just build whatever suits you. Put airbags on it and drop it so low you can't get out of your driveway. Make it fun rather than practical...

Then again, that's just me... I have so many different tastes in cars it's hard enough to commit to any one thing... I'd have a warehouse full of cars if I could...

Not necessarily a mini truck but those micro bus transporters were made that way from vw and around since the late 50s I believe.The b1600 is the same as a courier except for 4 headlights.There is a repu that doesnt look like the funky one in that pic.Similar to the b1600/courier but cooler.

The photo of the Mazda repu..or Rotary engine pickup looks NOT at all like a stock truck.

http://www.mazdarepu.com/Gallery/index.php3?album=Brad&photo=uploads/repuatWSIR52805backshot.jpg

The photo I posted above is a Toyota Stout. I can see how it reads a little confusing in the post though.

Here is a picture of my 84 Mazda that is sitting in Lake Chelan rotting away. I blew that tranny on it one weekend while over there and I just parked it at my Parents cabin and it has been there ever since.....I also had a 79 ford courier for a short while, same bodies with minor differences.

84mazdalorider.jpg