Why the slant?

DRIVEN

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i could see those screetching badly, plus they wouldnt seat until flat on the rotor. also they wouldnt seat on the caliper if flat on the rotor, so technically they would have less stopping power as not as much surface area is touching. i dont know, whats wrong with regular pads.

These pads are for the Akebono built Lockheed Disc Brakes as on the RL411 SSS and early 70's 510s. The Lockheed brakes pivot about a corner rather than slide horizontally, so the pads are tapered and sit flat on the disc when installed. As they wear down, the caliper rotates about the corner pivot and maintains firm flat pad contact with the disc.

These pads are for the Akebono built Lockheed Disc Brakes as on the RL411 SSS and early 70's 510s. The Lockheed brakes pivot about a corner rather than slide horizontally, so the pads are tapered and sit flat on the disc when installed. As they wear down, the caliper rotates about the corner pivot and maintains firm flat pad contact with the disc.

That's a good description for an unusual design. I think I get it:confused:.

I had a feeling someone would have the answer. Thanks guys.

My experience with these brakes has been good. I put new pads and rotors on my 510 wagon when I got it, and they are very effective considering the diameter of the rotors. I've had passengers comment on how effective the brakes are:D btw, when I took the old pads off, there was about 1/8" of material left, and it was worn flat (as opposed to the original tapered shape).

My experience with these brakes has been good. I put new pads and rotors on my 510 wagon when I got it, and they are very effective considering the diameter of the rotors. I've had passengers comment on how effective the brakes are:D btw, when I took the old pads off, there was about 1/8" of material left, and it was worn flat (as opposed to the original tapered shape).

I bought my RL411 for my wife after she got her driver's license. All her friends were impressed. To quote "Small car, big engine. big horn, REALLY big brakes!" She learned to drive in the middle of the winter in Great Falls Montana on a road that ran along the Missouri River in the canyon by the Great Falls. The "big brakes" came in very handy, along with encouraging careful wheel control.

• 8 months later...

The pivoting caliper design was a clever way to make a good-but-cheap single

piston caliper that avoids the seizure problems of sliding pin designs, which

are the usual econo caliper solution. Multiple opposing piston calipers work

better but are more expensive to make.

Confirmed.

And, like Mike said, they work the same as a flat pad, since all that matters is the surface in relation to the rotor.

My 411 stops quite nicely. :)