what are datsuns worth?(fair price)

i ask because i'm thinking of(wanting to) selling at least one of them for now then selling another in about a month or two.

first one on the chopping block, 79 longbed, l20b,manual choke weber, matchbox dist. solid floors, fairly straight. everything works, good glass, 15" wheels, new brakes, rear slider, 5spd dai;y driver. i get about 30mpg with this thing.

the bad, few dents/dings, leaky rear wheel cylinder and the timing chain is a bit loose.try to find a picture tonight. i was thinking around $1200 but i'd like some constructive criticism too.

79longbed-ed1.jpg

79longbed-ed2.jpg

ok hers a bit more about it, was originally asn a/c truck but most had been removed by the time it got to me. is running a manual fuel pump on the engine but i left everything there for the electric pump on the frame if the manual were to quit. the engine was originally out of a 77 710 wagon. has a w58 head with liners removed and very mild port. i wasn't able to get the hood open tonight, left keys in house and i was cold, but i think we installed an l16 intake. everything has been de-smogged. has tall one piece adapter for the 32/36 weber and 2 1/2" air filter. most all hoses are new within the last year. its a very mechanically sound truck, timing chain rattles when low on oil. i believe the 4.11 was swapped out before i got it but she still scoots. a few members here have seen it on the road and can attest that it has plenty of power for what it is. the front body panels(fender, hood, valence were swapped out for less rusty ones. floors are solid for now but could use a good primer sealer on them. rockers have some rust though.

Edited by tdaaj
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think if the body was all one color an he fixed the timing chain i'd ask for 1700 an accept 1200-1300.. i think just moving the cam sprocket to one of the other positions will help with the chain, not sure tho..

my truck i would ask for 2000, not gonna say what i'd accept cause im not hard up for cash atm.. but its just primerd, pretty straight but could use a bit of body work.. some attention could be payed to the heater controls, gauge cluster could use some new bulbs, an a speedo cable altho it wouldnt be accurate lol.. but thats all very simple stuff... the engine it self runs strong an the 5spd shifts nice.. but i've put alot into that truck more then 2000$

if you put it on craigslist get as much as you can out of it.. the key to pricing high is obo that way theres room for negotiation an people think they're getting a deal when really your just getting what you want out of it.. i could see maybe hookin a ratsuner up tho.. but i wouldnt go too far below what my minimum..

i think its steep for how it looks (1st truck).

i know its the wrong time of the year, but its amazing what a lil bomb can will do.

as is id say its $8-1k runs and drives great, but isnt pretty or one color. people not into or owning old cars are stupid. they judge the whole car based on how it looks. as long as you dont tell em that most shops n dealers wont touch em your golden.:D

my hilux looked worse before i painted it, and test adds on craigslist are going very well. planning on getting $3k or better with spray paint.

Its an ugly Longbed truck that looks like it has been in a wreck with a noisy motor & a leaky wheel cylinder.:( It is a 79 tho and has 5 speed:D $750 is top $. cheap fix on the wheel cylinder.

Start @ $1000

Its an ugly Longbed truck that looks like it has been in a wreck with a noisy motor & a leaky wheel cylinder.:( It is a 79 tho and has 5 speed:D $750 is top $. cheap fix on the wheel cylinder.

Start @ $1000

truck has never been in a wreck as far as i can tell, but you're right it does appear that way with the different colored panels.

I could only get $800 for my 72.5. It was actually a really good truck and I miss it. The body work was all done except the tailgate and it had new tires. I sometimes want to try and buy it back. With that I would say yours is a 700-900 if you actually want it gone within the next month or so. Or buck up and clean up the body and make it all 1 color and then you might get 1000 and up. Better wheels would help too.

Edited by datsunfish