Datsme 520 build

oldsklminitrk

Well Fatt stripes(Matt) and Datsme(Allison) dropped off Allison's frame tonight to me to get started on it.There gonna help in the build but a lot of the fabrication I will be doing.Its probably gonna get a L20B engine upgrade with a 4 speed.Were gonna ditch the king pins and use a setup off of the 78 620 parts truck I used to have.

DSCF1539.jpg

DSCF1540.jpg

DSCF1542.jpg

DSCF1543.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now's the time for fitting the motor and tranny. If you have a '78 why not graft the front frame from it on just behind the rear mounts for the torsion bars. This would give you the better ball joint steering, front disc, L motor mounts and tranny mount for the long 4 or 5 spd. in one go.

Edited by datzenmike

this is sweet. I have a 67 520 in the garage AND a 78 620 parts truck with a L20B in it in the backyard... I may just copy this build instead.

SO what about DatzenMike's suggestion? :unsure: I think its brilliant. If you don't I might- what are the drawbacks? If you do, I definitely will! :)

this is sweet. I have a 67 520 in the garage AND a 78 620 parts truck with a L20B in it in the backyard... I may just copy this build instead.

SO what about DatzenMike's suggestion? :unsure: I think its brilliant. If you don't I might- what are the drawbacks? If you do, I definitely will! :)

Well go ahead and follow this thread and get some ideas and maybe it will help ya.

if you go upgrade then whats happenin to that engine sittin in there???? very interested;) im in alabama so i could possibly pick it up if you slung it my way:D

I dunno yet with the motor....kinda like the driveshaft ....its her truck so she has the final say so.

Now's the time for fitting the motor and tranny. If you have a '78 why not graft the front frame from it on just behind the rear mounts for the torsion bars. This would give you the better ball joint steering, front disc, L motor mounts and tranny mount for the long 4 or 5 spd. in one go.

Yeah Im looking at doing that or Im in the thought of just building a whole new frame from scratch.

if you go upgrade then whats happenin to that engine sittin in there???? very interested;) im in alabama so i could possibly pick it up if you slung it my way:D

sorry, the original owner that gave her the truck has already said he would like the engine back if she doesnt use it

The only drawback I can see is the frame numbers, needed if title is transferered to a different state.

The frame # on the 620 frame I beleive is on the top of the right hand frame rail just in front of the shock tower. The 520 frame number is ont the top of the right hand frame rail just behind the shock tower.

When a vehicle is brought to AZ from another state for title & registration it has to goe through an Arizona Department of Motor Vehicle inspection. This inspection has to have 2 of the 3 original numbers match, either 2 of the Body# (VIN), the Chassis #(frame) and or the Engine # (Serial). If 2 do not match no title or registration in AZ.

Not sure how other states handle this.

This is the main reason I did not use a 1980 720 frame I have.

The only drawback I can see is the frame numbers, needed if title is transferered to a different state.

The frame # on the 620 frame I beleive is on the top of the right hand frame rail just in front of the shock tower. The 520 frame number is ont the top of the right hand frame rail just behind the shock tower.

When a vehicle is brought to AZ from another state for title & registration it has to goe through an Arizona Department of Motor Vehicle inspection. This inspection has to have 2 of the 3 original numbers match, either 2 of the Body# (VIN), the Chassis #(frame) and or the Engine # (Serial). If 2 do not match no title or registration in AZ.

Not sure how other states handle this.

This is the main reason I did not use a 1980 720 frame I have.

not so much an issue if the stock numbers are left in tact and moved to the new graft it is not vin forging considering the fact that your just replacing part of the frame so grind down the 620 numbers and keep the 521 numbers in tact problem solved

Ok so......all Ideas out the window I decided to atempt something else....I took the entire front suspension off of the 520 and swapped the king pins and put the 620 disc spindles on and it all bolted right up.Even the tie rod ends lined up....so I retained the original frame but upgraded everything to the newer style stuff.....

So basically here are a few pics of one side mocked up and seeing if everything fit and it brought lower to the ground.

DSCF1572.jpg

DSCF1574.jpg

DSCF1573.jpg

DSCF1575.jpg

Edited by oldsklminitrk

Let me get this right, you swapped 620 upper and lower control arms and the ball joint spindle right into the 521?!

For a stock setup the obvious question is the torsion bars. Do you have any plans to use them at all? Any more photos of the actual swap in progress?

Edited by nukeday