Datsme 520 build

oldsklminitrk

Did you pie cut the UCA's because of ball joint bind or because of the positive caster that you get with this setup?

I did it for both reasons....cause of how low it is and with the amount of lift

Let me get this right, you swapped 620 upper and lower control arms and the ball joint spindle right into the 521?!

Yeah thats all I did

For a stock setup the obvious question is the torsion bars. Do you have any plans to use them at all? Any more photos of the actual swap in progress?

No torsion bars what so ever....I can take more pics if ya want

Wait. What? Everyone told me it would mess up the front suspension geometry....

Sadly, I'm pretty sure everyone is right. :mellow:

Ummmmmm how is it gonna mess it up

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure the torsion bar splines are the same, so the stock bar would work. Almost positive.

The UCA is built on an angle for the 620. The tower it mounts to on the 620 is at an angle. When it's mounted on the 521(straight tower) it pushes the top of the spindle forward quite a bit....creating a lot of positve caster(unsafe). Swapping the uppers from side to side will give you negative caster, but the arms are too short to give the correct camber. Typically...by the time the UCA's are lengthened, it's just easier to build new uppers......which is why Beebani has the uppers available. The lowers could be shortened....even more work. With the UCA modified to put the camber back, the track width is widened by about 1.25" per side using the 620 lower arms. Depending on the wheels run, may not be an issue. I built some custom uppers for a buddy several years ago, then we pretty much quit working on it. Maybe one of these days he'll finish it :)

Don't get me wrong....I'm not trying to shoot this down or cause you grief.....I want to make sure it comes out right before you start to drive it........OR...I want find out why it worked for you when it hasn't for anyone else :)

How straight does the camber become when it's lifted? The short UCA is why it camber changes so much. I'm not sure I'm understanding the shimming......shims would bring the upper more inboard.

Take pics of it at ride height :)

old.......The 620 shock tower goes outboard for the angle...which makes it a short upper. Mounting it to the 521 tower, pulls it in....causing the camber prob. It also turns the UCA forward which creates the caster prob. Even if you switch them from side to side, they're still too short to fix the camber prob.

yeah!! I'm following this intently. I have the entire front suspension off the 620 frame ready to bolt onto my 520, thinking this is going to work. I got to get rid of the 620 frame before the City busts me, but I dont want to if I'm going to need to bolt the suspension back on and use it.... UPDATES!!!

Well WTF....I hadnt been on for a few days cause of the holidays so I really hadnt gotten anywhere other than WTF to this new facelift....I dont like this....Either way I probally wont touch the truck till after the new year since so much is going on.

Yeah every body thinks it is gay and I do to, so how you been Rodney?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

wow,almost forgot this was here. since we left off, the original frame ended up being scrapped b/c it was warped. how it got warped im embarrassed to say. we stripped down one of our 521 donors for a second frame and the cab has been cut to the doors. rodney (oldsklminitrk) has almost completed welding back in the floors. and thats about that, the truck has been untouched for the most part since then. but not rodneys fault. allison and i now have a perfect little one year old baby girl, Sophia (rodney wanted to name her Datsun, and still insists on calling her that).we plan to start back on it soon, ive sold my bagged frontier to help the budget on the 520. not to worry though, i have recently acquired a daily driver 78 200sx for my toy. pics of progress to come as it happens :thumbup: