music..need recommendations.

DatsuNoob

Fuck I hate alot of new music on the radio these days.

I was doing a remodel job in a neighborhood I usually don't ever go to. On the way home I stopped into a bar where and old friend Tom, works days. He is a trumpet player and plays almost every night of the week, except when he is on the road. A friend owns the place, so he has a great thing going.

I hadn't seen him in a while. We played together six nights a week for three and a half years. He has been in Etta James Roots band for a dozen years and has been to Europe, Japan, South America and Africa with her, as well a many recordings and DVDs. He's also played with BB King, Bobby Womack, and BayArea blues cat Tommy Castro, toured with Greg Allman and has a long list of credits. He is an "A List" player and has played, toured and recorded with so may bands. Way back he was on the first Boz Scaggs record and in two important latin rock bands Azteca and Malo. He is on the new Ford Brothers blues band record and records with producer arranger John Lee Sanders. He has more House of Blues t-shirts than I have ever seen because he has played them all.

So Tom drives a beat to shit '73 240Z. He has a mechanic that keeps it in one piece for him and aside from the Z car, a trumpet and a flugelhorn, he doesn't have much after 45 years of being a professional musician.

I'm catching up with Tom and I ask him what kind of music he listens to. He says,"I don't listen to music". I go, come on man, you listen to music every night, who are you listening to? Any of the artist you record with? He says no, that he has a hole in his dash where his stereo has been ripped of so many time he doesn't even lock his car. All he has at home is a clock radio by his bed. I ask him what radio station he listens to and he says I listen to talk radio.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in (mostly) alphabetical order just going down my itunes list :D

The 101'ers

AFI

AC/DC

Adam and the Ants

The Addicts

The Adolescents

Aesop Rock

Agent Orange

Agnostic Front

The AKAs

The Alan Parsons Project

Amy Winehouse

Andres Landeros

Andrew W.K.

Asheru

The Ataris

Augustana

B.B. King

Bach

Bad Brains

Badly Drawn Boy

The Beastie Boys

Beethoven

Beirut

Black Flag

The Black Keys

Black Sabbath

Blink 182

Bob Dylan

Brand New

Bright Eyes

Broken Spindles

The Buggles

The Buzzcocks

Calimine

The Casualties

Catherine Feeny

Champion

Chopin

Chronic Future

Citizen Cope

CKY

The Clancy Brothers

The Clash

Coheed & Cambria

Creedence Clearwater Revival

The Cure

Damien Rice

David Bowie

Dead Kennedys

The Dead Milkmen

Death Cab for Cutie

The Decemberists

The Dirtbombs

DJ Shadow

The Doors

Dragon Force

The Dragonflies

Dropkick Murphys

The Dubliners

The Eagles

Eddie Cochran

The Eels

The Elected

Elliott Smith

Elvis Presley

Eric Clapton

Ernest Ranglin

Everclear

The Exploited

The Faint

Fear

Feist

Fifi

A Fine Frenzy

The Flaming Lips

Flobots

Flogging Molly

Foo Fighters

Fort Minor

Frank Sinatra

The Fray

Gary Jules

Generation X

The Germs

The Get Up Kids

Geto Boys

Gnarls Barkley

GOB

Gogol Bordello

Goldfinger

Gorillaz

Greatful Dead

Green Day

Gregory and the Hawk

Hellogoodbye

Her Space Holiday

Iggy Pop and The Stooges

Iron Maiden

Jack Johnson

Jack's Mannequin

Jaylib

Jenny Lewis

Jim Carroll Band

Jimmi Hendrix

Jimmy Cliff

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

Joanna Newsom

Joe Purdy

Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer & Latino Rockabilly War

Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros

John Cage

Johnny Cash

Jurassic 5

Kate Rusby

The Kinks

Kottonmouth Kings

Led Zeppelin

London Orchestra

Loudon Wainwright III

Louis Armstrong

Lucid Dream

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Lyrics Born

Mad Caddies

Madvillan

Marie Laforet

Matisyahu

Matt Costa

Matt Maiellaro

MC5

Me First & The Gimme Gimmies

mewithoutYou

MF Doom

Mike Geier

Miles Davis

Minor Threat

The Misfits

Modest Mouse

The Mountain Goats

Mr. Ned

Muddy Waters

Murder By Death

Muse

MxPx

Nas

Neutral Milk Hotel

Neva Dinova

Nina Simone

No Use For A Name

NoFX

Oasis

Otis Redding

Paul Simon & Art Garfunkel

Pennywise

Phantom Planet

The Pillows

Pink Floyd

The Pixies

Postal

The Postal Service

The Presidents of the United States of America

Pretty Girls Make Graves

The Proclaimers

The Proclaimers

Proven

Public Enemy

Queen

Rachid Taha

Rage Against The Machine

Rammstein

Ramones

Rancid

Regina Spektor

Rilo Kiley

Riot Cop

Rise Against

Rock 'N' Roll Soldiers

The Rolling Stones

The Romantics

Sage Francis

Say Anything

Secondary Modern

Semisonic

Sex Pistols

The Shins

Skank

The Smiths

Social Distortion

The Sounds

The Specials

Sublime

Suicide Machines

Swingin' Utters

Tears for Fears

Tilly & The Wall

Tim Harden

The Toasters

Tokyo Police Club

Tom Petty

Tsunami Bomb

Turbonegro

U-Roy

The Unseen

The Vandals

The Vines

War

Weezer

The White Stripes

Windsor for the Derby

The Woods

Woody Guthrie

Yann Tiersen

ZZ Top

.... and Iv still got a few cases of CD's to UL but Im to lazy :P

:lol: I don't touch VW's with a 10ft pole, I just skated down the street :cool:

I agree. Although I learned the hard way. I bought a rabbit for 300 bucks and drove it home and my grandma got mad since I parked it at her house, then the next day I bought another one for 200 and parked it behind the other one at night. When she woke up she called me and asked where it came from, I was like I don't know its a rabbit, they multiply. :D

Swinehammer.

song starts at 3:00.

shoot them down!!!

aren't we pretty...?

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Edited by hessianben

I personally stick with mostly reggae/dub type stuff. Most of that other stuff is just to wound up for me. If your into it check out...

The Expendables

Rebelution

Eek-A-Mouse

Slightly Stoopid

Kya Bamba

Any of the Marley family

Ratatat

Hip Hop:

Del the Funky Homosapian

Heiroglyphics

Jurassic 5

Living Legends

Roota Manuva

And if you really want to bring on the funk, check out Brutilicus Maximus, a local Chico party funk group. Total stupidity.

SO frickin glad to see metalheads on Ratsun! I'll listen to everything but country, but I'm a metalhead to the end.

Ichorid, you take top spot for droppin the DH. (Darkest Hour) Most underrated modern thrash band around, definitely do not get enough credit for the part they played in the new wave of metal thats out now. (So so so glad that The Eternal Return returned to their roots, from that mediocre effort that preceded it)

If you like metal, you gotta check the album Hidden Hands of A Sadist Nation, that is the album that converted me from harder alternative & mild metal into a full blown metal head.

If you don't see what the big deal with metal is, you must listen to their epic 12 minute instrumental 'Veritas, Aequitas' (none of that noodley, virtuoso crap), then go listen to the album Undoing Ruin and you will understand.

Heres the song, it is actually one song but its too long for YouTube so it was broken into two parts, Veritas (part 1) is the peaceful melodic intro, but Aequitas (part 2) is the truly epic part, and its cut at a good spot to start from if you want the condensed version. I suggest listening to both, just put it on in the background while you surf. This song is my number one pick for driving, get out of the city for a night time drive, away from traffic, just you and the open road and put this shit on LOUD! (Watch that right foot though :D)

Veritas,

Aequitas

OK Im done ranting, Ill just share my other bands Ive been into lately:

Devildriver

Killswitch Engage

Slipknot

CKY

Bury Your Dead

Bring Me The Horizon

Black Dahlia Murder

Alexisonfire (Everything!!!! especially watch out! and crisis)

Unearth

Underoath

Avenged Sevenfold (everything before the self-titled)(check out The Confession if you like A7X)

As I Lay Dying

Arch Enemy

The Haunted

All That Remains

Trivium's Ascendancy (that Metallica ripoff shit is crap)(Sanctity made the follow-up Trivium should have had)

Bleeding Through

Amon Amarth

Bloodjinn (little known but frickin WAIL)

Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society

Evergreen Terrace

August Burns Red

Five Finger Death Punch (angry and heavy, but catchy and melodic, for the non-metalhead who's having a really bad day :D)

He Is Legend (another little known band any fan of hard rock but not necessarily metal should check out, super catchy songs with a fairytale kind of twist and very awesome story-telling)

Himsa

In This Moment (metal for girls :P jk metalish music with a great female vocalist, good for those who like metal but cant dig the screaming)

Job For A Cowboy (Warning: Cowboy's should not take this as a good band to get into metal with, not for the uninitiated)

Mastodon

36 Crazy Fists

Thrice (EVERYONE will like at least one thrice song, their new stuff is more experimental and has a lot of very melodic and soulful songs, stark contrast to their punkish roots, but unlike most bands who go experimental you can hear the development of the sound throughout their catalog)

Non metal music I LOVE

M.I.A

Tenacious D (Jack Black is a god!!!)

Sublime

The Sleeping (think Rise Against if they hired an organ player, exactly)

The President Of The United States Of America (possibly just the most basic, feel good, funny, awesome band ever. you cant help but smile when listening to POTUSA)

Death From Above 1979 (defunct Canadian 2-piece, drums and bass, drummer is singer, super funky, you cant help but dance, you have to hear to understand)

Kings Of Leon

Oh and to finish off, the current best for last: Lamb Of God. Wrath reinvented what metal could be. dominating riffs, insane double kicks, excellent lyrics and vocals, and to top it off top notch production yet unheard in the metal genre. Debuted #1 in Canada and #2 in US, an unheard of feat for a metal band that is still this brutal, and against stiff contenders in terms of overall popularity, and theres a good reason for it :D this is probably the most played CD EVER for me, and it only came out this past summer. it was in my Cutlass for a solid 2 months before I sold it, and that was still 4 months after it came out. so ill leave you with Lamb Of God - Grace, and hope I convert at least one of you :D

Enjoy Mothafukkas!:fu: (unfortunatley shitty youtube audio doesnt do the production justice)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ftNbhpZBo

ah what the hey, Redneck, off their last, Sacrament, another bitchin track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3fZd5qZje0

Edited by lowdatsun620
  • 3 weeks later...

My lists contain a little bit of everything!

classic rock, metal, old school r&b, rap, not so much into the " new age " stuff, just seems like they don't make music like they use to.

Also, I got some local stuff I like to listen to as well.

My Life In Black and White, here's a sample of some of their music

http://www.last.fm/music/My+Life+In+Black+And+White/+tracks

Proven, another local oregon band, here's a sample of their stuff off myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/provenmetal