music..need recommendations.

So I've realized that I haven't got any new music lately. and Well when im out there working on my car I have the same play-list that I always put on and it's getting kind of old. Does anyone have any good recommendations? I'm open to ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. i don't discriminate. promises! any good bands would be super useful. :D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

full blown chaos (kill people)

xafbx (kill people)

wolf city (kill people)

August burns red (kill people)

Hawthorne Heights (emo? screamo?)

Underoath (lyrical, punk, scream)

the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (full range of music)

Dropping Daylight (lyrical)

Canibus (lyrical wizard)

jurrasic 5 (makes me want to skate)

Hilltop Hoods (very chill music)

Immortal Technique (politically charged)

Sage Francis (savage)

Living Legends (smooth flowin)

Ellay Khule/rifleman (good hip hop)

old bands but good:

Rise against

black flag

NOFX

AFI

Fear factory (not the cars song, check out Archtype album ie metalcore)

Edited by NorCalDime

Dead Milkmen!

The builders and the butchers

The Harps

HORSE

The Klaxxons

Crystal Castles

Sex Pistols

John Prine

Kings Of Leon.

The Misfits

Never Shout Never

Nirvana

Noah and the Whale

Dead Kennadys

Pop Levi

Polaris

Rocky Votolato

The Scene Aesthetic

The Shins

The Smiths.

haha anyways I feel like posting the entire artist section from my itunes but its HUGE.

seems like most are into rock as I am to a degree but here is some of the stuff I have been up to

hip hop

older tribe called quest

NAS

Jay Z

Notorious Big

E A ski

San Quinn

the toots

cody chestnut and the roots

T pain

T pain with Flo rida

Wu Tang

ODB

snoop

Dre

50 cent

NWA

the DOC

Mos Def

Common

Talib Kweli

Fugees

pretty much older hip hop versus what is goin on now

soul R+B

Sade-the best of

Kem

Maxwell

Jodeci

R Kelly

Zhane

Les Nubuiennes

Robin Thicke

Mary J

Patrice Rushen

Marvin Gaye

Al Green

Alternative/rock

Morcheeba

Smashing pumpkins

Petshop boys

Depeche mode

weezer

rolling stones

Yes

Bon Jovi

Queen

Queen with David bowie

Ratt

marilyn manson

AFI

silver sun pickups

the datsuns

OMD

tesrs for fears

men at work

this is going to get too long. IM me if you want more selections as I have a whole bunch of stuff at home or at my cousins since he DJ's and has a bunch of stuff and instrumentals or stuff only radio stations can get.

by the way the sex pistols are awsome for more then there music.

sexpistols_hof.jpg

The Sex Pistols have opted out on appearing at their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The groundbreaking English punk rock group officially declined the honor -- to be handed out March 13 at a dinner and performance at the Waldorf Astoria in New York -- in a crudely scrawled, mispunctuated handwritten message posted on the band's Web site Friday.

"Next to the SEX PISTOLS rock and roll and that hall of fame is a piss stain," the statement read. "Your museum. Urine in wine. Were (sic) not coming. Were (sic) not your monkey and so what?"

The statement slammed Hall of Fame voters as "music industry people," and excoriated the high price of attending the exclusive event -- $25,000 for a table, "or $15,000 to squeak up in the gallery."

It concluded, "Your (sic) not paying attention. Outside the shit-stem is a real SEX PISTOL."

Other 2006 inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame include Black Sabbath, Blondie, Miles Davis, Lynyrd Skynyrd and industry executives Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss.

Susan Evans, executive director of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, said of the band's announcement, "They're being the outrageous punksters that they are, and that's rock 'n' roll."

Edited by AtomChurch

hip hop:

Tragedy 503 Portland local hard to find but worth it

Trash Heap same

rest are readily torrent available

Tech N9ne

Ill Bill

La Coka Nostra

Necro

Haystak

Krizz Kaliko

Esham

Natas

Skatterman & Snugbrim

Talib Kweli

Mos Def

Yukmouth

metal:

Lamb of God

Whitechapel

Skinless

Deicide

Chimaira

Cephalic Carnage

Belphegor

Brain Drill

Arsis

Nile

Aborted

Canibus (lyrical wizard)

jurrasic 5 (makes me want to skate)

Hilltop Hoods (very chill music)

Immortal Technique (politically charged)

Sage Francis (savage)

Living Legends (smooth flowin)

Ellay Khule/rifleman (good hip hop)

That's what I'm talking 'bout.

Grieves (current favorite)

Swollen Members

Classified

The Cool Kids

Eclectic Approach

Luckyiam

Atmosphere

Athiarchists are sort of speed metal, and only a 2 piece band.

Johnny Dilks is good OLD SCHOOL country

And Hank Williams III is kick ass old school country one minute, psychobilly the next. He sounds a lot like his grandpa.

I am from a different planet so here goes nothing in no particular order...

Muddy Waters, Big Bill Broonzy, Ruth Brown, Etta James, BB King, Albert King, Albert Collins, Freddie King, Freddie Fender, Paul Butterfield, Ray Charles, Bo Diddley, Willie Dixon, Buddy Guy, Junior Wells, James Cotton, Little Walter, Charlie Musslewhite, Billie Holiday, Lester Young, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Jay Mc Shann, John Lee Hooker, Lightning Hopkins, Son House, Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, Mississippi John Hurt, Elmore James, Magic Sam, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee, Taj Mahal, Jimmy Reed, Bessie Smith, Koko Taylor, Big Mama Willie Mae Thornton, T-Bone Walker, Sonny Boy Williamson and Jimmy Witherspoon... that's the short list that will get you ready for the modern cats like North Mississippi All Stars, Tab Benoit, Joe Bonamassa, R. L. Burnside, Tommy Castro, Ronnie Earl, Tinsley Ellis, Alvin Youngblood Hart, Jeff Healey, Keb Mo', Coco Montoya, Kenny Neal, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Otis Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Jimmy Thackery, Joe Louis Walker and Robin Ford.

Check that stuff out and you will be ready for...

All Weather Report recordings, any John Coltrane Impulse albums, all Charlie Parker recordings, specially the Prestige, Verve and Dial sessions, all Miles Davis with Kind Of Blue and Bitches Brew records to start. All Clifford Brown recordings.

Almost all Blue Note records ever made, specially Thelonius Monk, Herbie Hancock, Cannonball Adderley...

Gene Ammons

Albert Ayler

Chet Baker

Art Blakey

Tina Brooks

Clifford Brown

Dave Brubeck

Ray Bryant

Donald Byrd

Sonny Clark

Ornette Coleman

John Coltrane

Sonny Criss

Miles Davis

Paul Desmond

Eric Dolphy

Lou Donaldson

Kenny Dorham

Kenny Drew

Bill Evans

Tommy Flanagan

Red Garland

Stan Getz

Dexter Gordon

Grant Green

Johnny Griffin

Hampton Hawes

Keith Jarrett

Duke Jordan

Wynton Kelly

Roland Kirk

Scott LaFaro

Booker Little

Jackie McLean

Pat Metheny

Charles Mingus

Hank Mobley

Thelonious Monk

Wes Montgomery

Lee Morgan

Fats Navarro

Phineas Newborn Jr.

Charlie Parker

Duke Pearson

Art Pepper

Oscar Peterson

Bud Powell

Max Roach

Sonny Rollins

Shirley Scott

Archie Shepp

Wayne Shorter

Horace Silver

Bobby Timmons

Lennie Tristano

Stanley Turrentine

McCoy Tyner

Mal Waldron

In terms of piano players you can't go wrong with any recordings by Mc Coy Tyner, Chick Corea, Art Tatum, Cedar Walton, Oscar Peterson, Ellis Marsalis, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Chucho Valdez, Bud Powell, Jessica Williams, Keith Jarett, MaryLou Williams, Billy Taylor, Ramsey Lewis, Billy Childs, Joe Sample, Elaine Elias, Gene Harris, Erroll Garner, Bill Evans...

Can't forget B3 organ monsters, Jimmy Smith, Joey De Francesco, Tony Monaco, Jimmy McGriff, Dr, Lonnie Smith, Booker T. Smith...

In terms of guitar players, Here is the short list:

1. Wes Montgomery

2. Django Reinhardt

3. Pat Metheny

4. Joe Pass

5. Charlie Christian

6. John McLaughlin

7. Allan Holdsworth

8. Grant Green

9. John Scofield

10. Jim Hall

11. Larry Coryell

12. Kenny Burrell

13. Bill Frisell

14. Larry Carlton

15. Pat Martino

16. Mike Stern

17. Al Di Meola

18. Lenny Breau

19. Herb Ellis

20. John Abercrombie

21. George Benson

22. Lee Ritenour

23. Tal Farlow

24. Lonnie Johnson

25. Eddie Lang

26. Robert Conti

27. Johnny Smith

28. Bill Connors

29. George Van Eps

30. Jimmy Bruno

31. Jimmy Raney

32. Hank Garland

33. Joe Diorio

34. Barney Kessel

35. Kurt Rosenwinkel

36. Oscar Moore

37. Les Paul

38. Jeff Golub

39. Ed Bickert

40. Russ Freeman

41. Derek Bailey

42. Charlie Hunter

43. Martin Taylor

44. Howard Roberts

45. Stanley Jordan

46. Ralph Towner

47. Chet Atkins

48. Scott Henderson

49. George Barnes

50. Gabor Szabo

51. Mark Stefani

52. Thom Rotella

53. John Pizzarelli

54. Charley Byrd

55. Ted Greene

56. Billy Bauer

57. Henry Johnson

58. Billy Bean

59. Sonny Greenwich

60. Dean Parks

61. Steve Khan

62. Frank Gambale

63. Andy Summers

64. Russell Malone

65. Ronny Jordan

66. Bireli Lagrene

67. Earl Klugh

68. Grant Geissman

69. Ken Navarro

70. Harry Volpe

71. Paul Bollenback

72. Lorne Lofsky

73. Nguyen Le

74. Robben Ford

75. Daryl Stuermer

76. Phil Upchurch

77. Ulf Wakenius

78. Hiram Bullock

79. Sonny Sharrock

80. Nick Webb

81. Tony Mottola

82. Bucky Pizzarelli

83. Norman Brown

84. Tiny Grimes

85. Tommy Tedesco

86. Mark Whitfield

87. Julio Fernandez

88. Marc Ribot

89. Greg Carmichael

90. John Pisano

91. Emily Remler

92. Brian Hughes

93. Fitzroy Coleman

94. Mick Goodrick

95. Kevin Eubanks

96. Carl Kress

97. Wolfgang Muthspiel

98. Tuck Andress

99. Robert Normann

100. Howard Alden

Since I'm a tenor sax player, the list of my favorite tenor players would take until tomorrow to type and adding a list alto players could make the server crash.

If you like to dance you need to have every Tower of Power recording and piles of James Brown, any recordings from the STAX and STAX/VOLT catalogs, the Meters, Doctor John "the Night Tripper", Neville Brothers, Professor Long Hair, Parliment Funkadelic, OJays, Kool and the Gang, Commodores, Prince, Sly and the Family Stone, Headhunters, Papa Grows Funk, Los Hombres Caleinte, Temptations, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Graham Central Station, Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind & Fire, Ohio Players, Bootsy Collins... Uh you know!

If you don't know what fusion is then when you get through most of this music you will be ready for it.

If I had to be stranded on a desert island and only had ten recordings to take with me for the rest of my life: John Coltrane's Giant Steps and a Love Supreme, Miles Davis Seven Steps to Heaven and Kind of Blue, Louis Armstrong's Hot Five Sessions, The Sonatas and Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin and Pablo Casal's recordings of the Bach unaccompanied Cello Suites. Chick Corea's Now He Sings, Now He Sobs & Return to Forever, Light as a Feather, Art Tatum's the Pablo Complete Group Masterpieces...

Oh no! I would have to have some of the Joe Pass Virtouso Recordings too, that makes eleven, I cheat.

for me, personally when im working on the car I like to hear AC/DC, the entire discography so when I meet a stuborn nut or screw I just play "back in black" and no one can stop me :lol: also the beastie boys.

everyone posted tons of names and I didnt saw ACDC......

Klaxons, M83, Liars, Amazing Baby, Thunderheist, Ladyhawk, MGMT, Bodne,are some good electronic dancy groups.

I have been on a bass, grime, dubstep tip lately. Skream, Caspa, Rusko, 16bit, Amon Tobin

some good metal Im really into is, Black Dahlia Murder, Mastodon, Darkest Hour, The Crown, Cattle Decapitation, hecate enthroned, Gorgoroth, Anal Cunt, Municipal Waste, (I could go on and on with metal, thrash, skate, grind, blast)

You cant go wrong with God Speed You Black Emperor for laid back driving music.

I am from a different planet so here goes nothing in no particular order...

Muddy Waters, Big Bill Broonzy, Ruth Brown, Etta James, BB King, Albert King, Albert Collins, Freddie King, Freddie Fender, Paul Butterfield, Ray Charles, Bo Diddley, Willie Dixon, Buddy Guy, Junior Wells, James Cotton, Little Walter, Charlie Musslewhite, Billie Holiday, Lester Young, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Jay Mc Shann, John Lee Hooker, Lightning Hopkins, Son House, Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, Mississippi John Hurt, Elmore James, Magic Sam, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee, Taj Mahal, Jimmy Reed, Bessie Smith, Koko Taylor, Big Mama Willie Mae Thornton, T-Bone Walker, Sonny Boy Williamson and Jimmy Witherspoon... that's the short list that will get you ready for the modern cats like North Mississippi All Stars, Tab Benoit, Joe Bonamassa, R. L. Burnside, Tommy Castro, Ronnie Earl, Tinsley Ellis, Alvin Youngblood Hart, Jeff Healey, Keb Mo', Coco Montoya, Kenny Neal, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Otis Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Jimmy Thackery, Joe Louis Walker and Robin Ford.

Check that stuff out and you will be ready for...

All Weather Report recordings, any John Coltrane Impulse albums, all Charlie Parker recordings, specially the Prestige, Verve and Dial sessions, all Miles Davis with Kind Of Blue and Bitches Brew records to start. All Clifford Brown recordings.

:thumbup: very good music taste!

my step father used to force me to listen probably every band/artist in your list. He doesn't have to force me anymore haha. and I actually had herbie hancock playing on my ipod today blasting it in my car.

He was/is professional musician and I used to spend all day going through is vinyl. Probably why I still go buy vinyl now. He used to play all around portland for years and years until he moved to brookings, or. where the music scene is as good as dead.

too bad. he is good at everything he does, he is just a little out of his mind. well i guess we all are.

ha at some point you get tired of hearing the same 4 chords over and over.

Now som Samhain or Danzig Im there with you. Social D though.. I never liked.

If all you hear are the chords you ain't listenin' to the words!! :lol:

I dig Samhain and Danzig too....

if you're into smooth sorta stuff, aus hiphop is tearin it over here. nothing new for you chaps im sure :D a bit of a sample though;

Astronomy Class - nuthin nice

Bliss n Eso - greenhouse

Butterfingers - Beautiful Music

Butterfingers - i love work

Chasm - let the beat go

Chasm - the niceness

Spit Syndicate - bring it home

TZU - coming round

good for keeping cool when doin car stuff, easy sometimes to get mad and break things or say 'fuck it' and end up having to do shit twice :(

im into karnivool and dead letter circus at the mo too if you wanna try a bit of that;

http://www.myspace.com/karnivool - that little player under the sound awake thing, 'themata' and 'all i know' are my favourites at the mo :D

http://www.myspace.com/deadlettercircus - same deal as above, 'lines' and 'the mile' are pretty good