music..need recommendations.

Read the book Please Kill Me and take it from there.

Alice Cooper, KISS, Black Sabbath I also love.

When I hit that age 35 demographic, I quit caring. Does that really work? I guess so! It's sad, really, I used to love going to shows and stuff, but I don't know what's going on anymore.

Weezer? The Donnas? Even that would probably be considered old.

Really, though, if you ask a question like this on a Datsun forum, It's gonna be all over the map.

the datsuns

haha yeah, automatic if you own a Datsun. My son would dance around to that when he was a baby.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh boy, where do I start?

Pink Floyd obviously!

The Wall

Wish you were here

Obscured by clouds

Darkside of the moon

....just to name a few albums

All Metallica albums except Load

the doors

the who

the cars

Rush--chronicles

Led Zeppelin--all albums

Jimi (if you have to ask, you need help)

---the woodstock album is my favorite

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Lynrd Skynrd

Dazed and Confused soundtrack

AC/DC

G-n-R--appetite for destruction

Megadeth

Pantera

Offspring--all albums except for the white guy song

weezer (the old stuff, before hash pipe)

Lenny Kravitz--mama said

Finger 11

Trapt

Shindown--the older stuff

Creed has a new album that's pretty cool

Soundgarden

And you must only listen to old school hip hop, this new shit suck ass!

Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock

EPMD

Heavy D

Kool Moe Dee

LL Cool J (before he started rapping about love)

DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince (rock the house, and parents just don't understand)

Pete Rock and CL Smooth

Run DMC

Beastie Boys (Ill Communication, Paul's Boutique)

Slick Rick

Nice and Smooth

Pharcyde

Big Daddy Kane

NWA

The Click

Too Short

Master P

E40

Dr Dre

Snoop

2Pac

Digital Underground

That's just a sampling of what I listen to,

I also dig the old school r&b/dance type stuff;

Bell Biv Devoe

New Edition

Al B. Sure

Troop

Guy

Mantronix

Today

Keith Sweat

You get the idea

Guest 510kamikazifreak
oh boy, where do I start?

Pink Floyd obviously!

The Wall

Wish you were here

Obscured by clouds

Darkside of the moon

....just to name a few albums

All Metallica albums except Load

the doors

the who

the cars

Rush--chronicles

Led Zeppelin--all albums

---the woodstock album is my favorite

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Lynrd Skynrd

Dazed and Confused soundtrack

AC/DC

G-n-R--appetite for destruction

Megadeth

Pantera

Offspring--all albums except for the white guy song

weezer (the old stuff, before hash pipe)

Lenny Kravitz--mama said

Finger 11

Trapt

Shindown--the older stuff

Creed has a new album that's pretty cool

Soundgarden

And you must only listen to old school hip hop, this new shit suck ass!

Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock

EPMD

Heavy D

Kool Moe Dee

LL Cool J (before he started rapping about love)

DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince (rock the house, and parents just don't understand)

Pete Rock and CL Smooth

Run DMC

Beastie Boys (Ill Communication, Paul's Boutique)

Slick Rick

Nice and Smooth

Pharcyde

Big Daddy Kane

NWA

The Click

Too Short

Master P

E40

Dr Dre

Snoop

2Pac

Digital Underground

That's just a sampling of what I listen to,

I also dig the old school r&b/dance type stuff;

Bell Biv Devoe

New Edition

Al B. Sure

Troop

Guy

Mantronix

Today

Keith Sweat

You get the idea

:thumbup:

Add in some

bad co

trooper

triumph

slaughter

dire straights

kiss

motley(early stuff)

And that would make a great playlist :w00t:

shoot, I have Meddle, my favorite also; Sid Barrett was amazing!

Barrett was gone after '68 I think. Meddle was (well in my opinion) the true start of the future Floyd we all know. I like Meddle but Dark Side most of all followed by Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall. Wow where did '75 to '85 go???? (kof kof)

... in the galaxy of BeBop. I traveled for many light years to come to this solar system and this third stone from the sun.

Talking about politics, religion, business, etc. iz boring. Even talking about racing, cars, motorcycles and even Datsuns has gotten a little tedious for me. Music is the only thing worth thinking or talking about any more. I am a student of music fo sho. Jut for that, it was worth the trip.

BEE said,

No doubt Jason. I saw Jimi and it changed my life.

Another cat that did was Eric Clapton. I saw Cream too, and I saw Led Zepplin on their first American tour at Fillmore West. I didn't really get them a the time because they sucked. Robert Plant was so drunk that Jimmy Page actually kicked him in the ass at one point. I went to see the Who and my friend said let's go back stage and talk to these guys. There was no security or anything in those years and at that time, they were just another loud band in the "British Invasion". Keith Moon was bouncing off the walls and said, who has a Joint?. My friend pulls a fattie out and smokes it with Townshend and Moon.

Yeah Pink Floyd. I saw them in 1969 at a roller rink converted into a ballroom in San Rafael, California called Pepperland. They had put in a state of the art Quadrasonic sound system. Remember four channel vinyl records?

I saw the Doors, and Iron Butterfly, Spirit, Steppinwolf, Canned Heat and a bunch of other great LA bands too.

There was a short period of time there in San Francisco where Bill Graham and to a lesser, but equally important extent, Chet Helms (Family Dog), invented the modern music business. Bill Graham had eclectic and impeccable musical taste.

I will be forever grateful to him for expanding my musical mind and providing venues that exposed me/us to the roots of modern pop culture through blues, rock, jazz, funk, soul, metal and fusion. I mean August '67 Count Basie Orchestra and Chuch Berry on the same bill? If you think I exagerate or are not sure what I'm saying, look at this. It's only one venue.

http://www.chickenonaunicycle.com/Fill%20West%20Shows.htm

Coulda, woulda, shoulda seen the Beatles. My friends all went to see them at the Cow Palace and Candlestick Park. But at the time I just didn't get them yet. When Revolver and then Sgt.Pepper came out I did. I got my Dad to take us to see the Buddy Rich big band at the Circle Star Theater instead. Sort of like, I didn't get the Rolling Stones either. I mean I was with every other kid in American listneing to Top 40 radio, hearing Satisfaction, 19th Nervous Breakdown and so on, ten times a day. I dug that on the radio but never bought a 45 or LP of theirs.

I saw them in Oakland '72 on the STP tour and hated it. They were like another too loud Brit band that copied authentic blues cats. I didn't think they played that well compared to bands like Procul Harum, Moody Blues, King Crimson, Rod Stewart and Small Faces, Alvin Lee's Ten Years After, Richie Blackmore's Deep Purple and the incredible Traffic with Steve Winwood. There was a sleeper band called Spooky Tooth that blew us away. Two words... Jeff Beck! OK?

Fillmore, Winterland and the Avalon Ballroom were not that big of places and we were standing right in front of these bands week after week. If you could scrape together three bucks for a ticket, it was LIVE, not Memorex.

By the early '80s all of my friends and I were in working bands. Some of my rocker friends were talking about David Bowie, Clash, Elvis Costello and dragged me off to see the Sex Pistols at Winterland. That bullshit was so obnoxious that I left and went up to North Beach to see Grover Washington Jr. or Rashaan Roland Kirk at Keystone Korner. Rashaan was a freakin' genius!!

That whole second wave of punk or new wave, alternative, what ever it was called, was the cool hip thing and all my rocker friends were into that. But for me it was more about entertainment than musicianship. There were some bands that did put on a show and had musicianship. Around '75, I saw the Tubes with Iggy Pop and the Stooges at Bimbo's 365 Club. Iggy Pop was a waste of drugs and the Tubes killed.

Sorry if I'm boring you with all this. Bored is how I felt from the Power Pop era on through the beginning of MTV and so fourth. I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything and I sure ain't trying to put anybodies taste in music down. I hope we all have ears and a brain and can figure it out four ourselves. There is so much great music in the world and new artists working the shit out every day. The more I seek out new musical ideas, the more I go back in time and investigate the roots of it all. It helps me put it all into perspective and try keep an open mind.

There are only twelve different notes... after that it is all derivative on some level. Hard to be fresh and new when so many have come before that were archetypal.

Check out some of this stuff if you are really interested in popular music:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/

So, as I type, I been listening to a show I went to. Recordings are just a snapshot in time. At least live recordings can capture a little of the energy. These guys were so loud. Cobham was quite simply an animal... here take a drum lesson:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/mahavishnu-orchestra/concerts/berkeley-community-theatre-november-09-1972.html

5555 :lol:

I guess I'm one of the few (only?) people that just turn the radio on and let play, what plays?

Currently I turn the radio onto 95.3, which is now a country station, contemporary country, none of that whiney twangy crap.

The funny part is I used to listed to 95.3 when it was a classic rock station. LOL

If I'm not in the mood for country, I'll turn on 107.1 or 107.9, Classic and hard rock stations.

Figbuck

Family dog was revived in the 90s by friends of my uncle. He wrote a ticket system for him and since they didn't have enough cash he got a stake in it. During this time I got to see James Brown, and also George Clinton and the P Funk All Stars for free.

When I lived in San Rafael then that Roller Rink was long gone. The bowling alley just south of Novato has since been torn down too.

I have wide taste

Weird Al Yankovic

Squirrel Nut Zippers

Those Darn Accordions

Traffic

Sandy Nelson

Yello

Carter Family

Rufus

J.S. Bach

Eurythmics

Nine Inch Nails

Black Eyed Peas

Run DMC

Chicago

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

The Guess Who

Cab Calloway

Brian Setzer

Reverend Horton Heat

Art Blakey

Muddy Waters

Dave Brubeck

etc...

That's funny, I was about to quote Atom too. I tried, but I just couldn't get into Pink Floyd. But I like Meddle.

If you smoke a little weed, and watch the wall on acid, you'll never listen to floyd the same way again.

Atom Heart Mother is also another good floyd album I own.

And Fig, you are one lucky man, to have seen floyd and jimi live.....priceless!

i may not be much help here considering im a metalhead but i have seen a few good bands but here are some i would recommend that i didnt see listed (may be listed i just missed them please note christians may take offence to some of these bands :P)

dimmu borgir

old mans child

behemoth

canibal corpse

slayer

moonspell

lamb of god

cradle of filth

grave digger

iced earth

blind guardian

pantera

ramstien

static x

megadeth

iron maiden

kamalot

hammerfall

dream evil

dragonforce

devil driver

demons and wizards

nightwish

danzig

amon amarth

as you can see its kinda a wide varity but all of it falls into some form of metal genre

im also interested in seeing how many other metalheads are on here

Edited by bonvo

Atom Heart Mother is also another good floyd album I own.

I think this is where my name cam from, but its only a guess. My father got me started at a young age listening to them.

But I still have to say hands down the best live performance I HAVE ever been to was the Holy Modal Rounders. haha. Psychedelic Folk music. I wasn't 21 when I went and had to jump the barrier to go up to the stage but there is nothing better then hearing and feeling the energy they have in the awesome songs they play live. They are no where near as good in recordings even though their songs are still pretty cool.

That iz some old skool hippie shit. I saw those guys when I was about fifteen years old at a free concert in Golden Gate Park with the Dead and Jefferson Airplane I think. You know that George Carlin line... If you remember the '60s you wern't there.

Bonvo, you know man my younger brother is 55 years old and you guys have the same metal in your heads. He lives in Santa Cruz by the beach and never grew up. He has a badd old white Les Paul Custom and a Marshall stack that will make your ears bleed at a hundred yards.

I know. I think the same thing all the time.

I wish I was old enough to get into clubs in New York City from about 1945, right after WWII. From like '46 on till let's say '66. Hang out at the Village Vanguard, Blue Note, Slugs, Birdland and got to see Diz and Bird. That would make me 87 years old.

Yeah, well I think this now, and I probably will think it when I am older, but I bet I will live through some things the youngin's [when I am old] will wish they had lived through/seen. But it sucks meeting and knowing people who have done the things I want to do because they enjoyed it so much! And I am always like, "yeah that would have been cool". haha.

Guest DatsuNoob
So I've realized that I haven't got any new music lately. and Well when im out there working on my car I have the same play-list that I always put on and it's getting kind of old. Does anyone have any good recommendations? I'm open to ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. i don't discriminate. promises! any good bands would be super useful. :D

Depends what you're doing to your vehicle at the time. I like some good angry music for any time I'm throwing sparks. Bands like Mastodon, All That Remains, some old Tool, come to mind straight away. I Like a little balance too between melody and mayhem, old Alexisonfire is good for that. AC/DC is all around good tunes. Bob Marley, Matisyahu, Slightly Stoopid, or Burning Spear, for those much deserved breaks. smoking-dope-019.gif Listening to bands like Tiger Army, the Misfits, away from the garage gets my inspirational gears turning when coming up with ideas for future projects. Some good Drum n' Bass like Pendulum, AK1200, Greg Packer is good rythmic music for hand sanding.

I used to listen to good music before my cd's got stollen and the gf washed the ipod :eek:, now, sad to say, lately I've been limited to whatever over-produced crap happens to be on the radio at the time:(. Fuck I hate alot of new music on the radio these days.

Edited by DatsuNoob