Hessianben's 521 L16 to L20b Swapperoooo

hessianben

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I paid the muffler guy to reweld the exhaust together to clear the bottom of the block... but when that was done, you could still hear exhaust leaks from each of the smog ports on the cast manifold.

I was able to remove and plug one of them, but the others were so old and decayed, I was afraid I would break them into pieces or damage the manifold itself...

So... I spent money I didn't have...

and got this:

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

took it back to the muffler guy and he took pity on me, and welded a new down-pipe section. He didn't use that collector/reducer that came with the headers. He cut it off at the large part and welded 2" pipe to the rest of the system. Left me a flange at the bottom and a clamp at the top so I can remove things when I need to.

IMG_0597.jpg

Honestly, I don't know why they paint these things...

the paint burns off the first time you drive it!! stupid.

It is amazing how quiet it is now! I used to hear what I thought was valvetrain noise: 'tap tap tap tap tap' it was actually exhaust leaks from those stupid smog ports! Now I just hear the motor purrring! :D

That looks great is it loud?

What size pipe is on your old 2 into 1 collector?

honestly, it's not that loud. when I get on it, it sounds downright mean, but it's really quiet when idling! The old 2 to 1 collector was 1" or 1.5", which, is after being cut and bent and welded, kind of useless. this is much more straight-shot. really happy not to have loud exhaust leaks!!!

Right on Ben! Such a great swap and a great truck. Time for a new video?

thanks ficschy! I'm gonna try to get some video of it drivin tomorrow! (BTW, do you have a name for your new car yet??? that thing is soooo tits)

Ben Honestly from a man who had these headers take them off and burn them with a torch. Then sand them down and paint them with a good High temp paint. That thing is going to rust sooo Fast its not even funny. If you read this Bonvo. How is your headers holding up?

Ben Honestly from a man who had these headers take them off and burn them with a torch. Then sand them down and paint them with a good High temp paint. That thing is going to rust sooo Fast its not even funny. If you read this Bonvo. How is your headers holding up?

allready thinking that my friend!

I had him install a flange and a clamp so I can get it all apart again easily!

BEN! How much for the bottom piece!!!!!!!!! I WANT!!!! trade?

awwww shit! we reused the newer tubing and rear flange, but I didn't get back the shortened 2 to 1 and mani flange.

I'll go by tomorrow and see if it's still in the trash!

when are you goin? got an idea how much it costs?

My friend has a Muffler shop in Santa Ana (same place that did all my exhaust). One of his customers works at a place that does it, he pretty much picks it up at the shop. I'm going to my friends shop this saturday to get the Downpipe finished (flex pipe and O2 bung). I want to get the downpipe ceramic coated after I do this.... but given my clutch situation I'm not sure when I'll get that done. If you want I can hook you up with my friend.

lmao there is no paint left on the bitch i have been giving it liberal coats of wd 40 at night sure it stinks on start up but it dont rust

thats one of the next projects is to mask it all off and hit it with some high temp

btw hessianben the truck looks awsome inside and out i wish i could see it in person

come to JCCS!!! Davis isn't that far from Irvine... kind of.... ok, it's kind of far- but that's what caffeine is for!

[quote

So I guess the 810 axle splines are the same as the truck.

he said that he had to use the axles too. same housing though. not sure if he had to shorten anything...

Likely he swapped the truck side gears into it so he could run the 620 axles. The 810 would have been 4 lug. This is the same thing you have to do if using a truck rear end on a 510.

Hainz, I had a Maxima goon and it did have a solid rear axle. Never checked to see if it was H-190... probably.

put on the nismo wheels- I got the set of tires; 245/50/16, for $50 for all 4, so I can't complain, except that they're toooo big. so i'm complaining....:rolleyes:

I will eventually get some lower profile, narrower tires, but for now they work.

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

I'm still partial to the chrome Cragers, but these are bad ass too!

about half the weight of the steel ones!

Where did you get the tires? I need 4 - 195 or 205 75/R14... Something like that. Best I have seen is $25 a tire.

put on the nismo wheels- I got the set of tires; 245/50/16, for $50 for all 4, so I can't complain, except that they're toooo big. so i'm complaining....:rolleyes:

I will eventually get some lower profile, narrower tires, but for now they work.

I'm still partial to the chrome Cragers, but these are bad ass too!

about half the weight of the steel ones!