Hessianben's 521 L16 to L20b Swapperoooo

hessianben

Where did you get the tires? I need 4 - 195 or 205 75/R14... Something like that. Best I have seen is $25 a tire.

bought em use from C-list.

Adam says he thinks they were cop car tires- they run 16"s.

apparently when they get any kind of nick or puncture, they have to

replace them, no taking any chances on a repair...

I keep an eye out for 14"s... i need a set for my steelies.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey hessianben,

Really nice job on the engine/trans, and the wheels look great. I always thought those wheels would be perfect for a 521. I agree that they would look better with less side wall. Very nice though. Also, thanks for posting all the pics. This has been one of my favorite threads lately.

I've got a question. I got a L20b and long tail 5 speed that I was going to put in my 510 wagon. Lately I've been thinking of putting it in my 521 instead, but I really want to keep the bench seat. I saw that you had some bucket seats earlier in the thread, but this picture shows the bench. Are you using the bench with the new 5 speed? If so, does the shifter clear the seat?

Thanks

Luke D.

IMG_0603.jpg

Hey hessianben,

I've got a question. I got a L20b and long tail 5 speed that I was going to put in my 510 wagon. Lately I've been thinking of putting it in my 521 instead, but I really want to keep the bench seat. I saw that you had some bucket seats earlier in the thread, but this picture shows the bench. Are you using the bench with the new 5 speed? If so, does the shifter clear the seat?

Thanks

Luke D.

The 5 speed moved the shifter location back about 7 inches- It does clear the bench seat if it is moved all the way back. I have a 620 center console in it, and the bench did not want to clear that- to I smashed it till it fit:D

The 5 speed moved the shifter location back about 7 inches- It does clear the bench seat if it is moved all the way back. I have a 620 center console in it, and the bench did not want to clear that- to I smashed it till it fit:D

Cool. Thanks. That's kind of what I thought might happen. I think that would work for me.

That would be the ideal setup- then you could still adjust the bench back and forth.

LOL! My wife and I are both 5'4" and we have the seat all the way back........who in the world is ever going to move the seat forward?!!! :)

......okay...maybe Luke!! :D

• 1 year later...

Hey Ben, your truck is awesome, your engine/trans set up is exactly what im planning on going to in my 71! i almost got my hands on a running 620 L20b with a 5 speed for $400! but it was sold before i could get the money together. Im still looking though. did you rebuild your motor or did you just pull it and put it in your truck? also, for the 5 speed fitting, you didnt have to shorten any drivelines? All you had to do was modify the trans mount and relocate the carrier bearing?

when i got the donor l20b and 5 speed, i just dropped it in, but it burned so much oil, that i ended up rebuilding it completely anyway! if i were you i'd do it before installation- it's super easy! just follow the fsm steps or google it.

for the 5 speed- i had to have the trans bracket shortened 2". the carrier bearing still is in the correct position so you don't have to relocate it. the driveline is a little bit short, but because the 521 has a slip yoke, i just left it. there is still about 3" of engagement on mine. good luck!!

ok because my L16 burns oil and thats one reason i wanted to swap it. i thought it would probably take as long to do the valve seals and the rings as it would be to do the swap. maybe ill just pull an L20b and do rings and seals on it, then put it in....how long did it take you to rebuild it and what all did you replace?

oh so you didnt move your carrier bearing at all? it thought you moved it 1 inchess closer to the front?

IMG_0523.jpg

The rear flange sits just under 1" forward of the stock location-

the rear slip-yoke has about 4.5" of slide in it, so when bolted up, it will have about 3.5" of spline engaged as well.... plenty.

also, you used the stock 521 radiator? does it cool it fine or should i use the 620 rad?

i just need to find a donor 620 so i have something to work with! haha

• 2 weeks later...