Hessianben's 521 L16 to L20b Swapperoooo

hessianben

Well, it's been a long time in the works, but I've finally sacked up and started the swap! (after having to move houses 2x in the last 8 months!!!:mad:)

The '71 521 has been a champ through the last year as my daily for much of the time- but is is high time for a properly assembled motor and most of all- a 5 speed!

DSC02998.jpg

I parted out a junk '79 620 and harvested it's guts a while ago

DSC02015-1.jpg

DSC02130.jpg

DSC02136.jpg

DSC02223.jpg

DSC02217.jpg

DSC02224.jpg

and I've just recently gotten down to prepping it

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got down to giving it some new bits...

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

Of course, our friend Hainz talked me through the whole thing!! thanks again Hainz!!:D

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Primed the oil pump BEFORE installation! :D

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

Figaro approves

IMG_0327.jpg

Started removing the good bits from the L16-

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

Did some cleaning and threw on some paint

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

added the alt from the 620

IMG_0338.jpg

Ran a heater bypass- no need.

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

No need for coolant to the intake either- the peanut head has no coolant ports for the intake mani

IMG_0340.jpg

Water pump, fuel pump, belt, motor mounts...

... almost looks like a motor!

IMG_0342.jpg

Yanked the L16 today-

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

and now the questions...

the 4 speed has a flange on the output shaft

IMG_0356.jpg

The 5 speed has a sleeve

IMG_0358.jpg

Also, the 5 speed is longer and came with a different crossmember/mount setup

IMG_0359.jpg

the 4 speed crossmember/mount

IMG_0360.jpg

I'm assuming that I will need to use the 620 L20b driveshaft... It came from a kingcab, so it will be too long- will have to shorten it.

Does anyone know if the regular cab 620 driveshaft will bolt up? carrier bearing in same location?

also, has anyone else had to rig up a different mount setup? any tips are appreciated!!!

what other driveshaft options am I looking at?

thanks

Edited by hessianben

Nice work keep it up.

First, you need to use the oil pan and pickup from the L16 on your L20B

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr132/Charlie69_Datsun/Spare%20Parts/DSC00551.jpg[/img]"]DSC00551.jpg

The black pan is the L16 521 and the silver pan is the L20B 620.

Second, as far as the trans mount I just cut about 2" and welded it together ust the original 4 speed trans mount & bracket. You will need to measure and cut yours as needed.

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr132/Charlie69_Datsun/Spare%20Parts/TransMountMod.jpg[/img]"]TransMountMod.jpg

Third, take a 1 piece drive line from a 520 or a 720 have it cut and welded and use it. No more carrier bearing problems. :lol::cool:

Edited by Charlie69
Added Photo

Ben,

Check the FAQ. Pac Coast has a huge write up in there about the 4spd to 5spd swap. Make sure you use the throwout bearing from the transmission you are installing (don't ask how I know).

I put an L20b in my truck with the stock 4spd. YOu will need to use the L16 oil pan. The exhaust down pipe won't line up perfectly because the L20b is taller. I had a bitch of a time getting the engine and trans in as one unit. Ended up separating the two and putting them in separately. Not a huge deal.

Ben,

Make sure you use the throwout bearing from the transmission you are installing (don't ask how I know).

The throwout bearing is matched to the clutch size not the tranny. If that L20B motor had that tranny on it then just leave as is.

Nice work keep it up.

First, you need to use the oil pan and pickup from the L16 on your L20B

Second, as far as the trans mount I just cut about 2" and welded it together ust the original 4 speed trans mount & bracket. You will need to measure and cut yours as needed.

Third, take a 1 piece drive line from a 520 or a 720 have it cut and welded and use it. No more carrier bearing problems. :lol::cool:

Nice. thanks Charlie! want to sell me that xmember???:D JK

looks like I'll be pirating the oil pan and pickup from the L16.

Ben,

Check the FAQ. Pac Coast has a huge write up in there about the 4spd to 5spd swap. Make sure you use the throwout bearing from the transmission you are installing (don't ask how I know).

I put an L20b in my truck with the stock 4spd. YOu will need to use the L16 oil pan. The exhaust down pipe won't line up perfectly because the L20b is taller. I had a bitch of a time getting the engine and trans in as one unit. Ended up separating the two and putting them in separately. Not a huge deal.

Cool, I'll be looking at PacCoast's thread tonite...

I am going to have to guess about the throwout bearing- I have one that came out of the trans, and one that Adam (Motavated) brought over as a spare, but only he know's which is which! (luckily I'll see him Monday)

The throwout bearing is matched to the clutch size not the tranny. If that L20B motor had that tranny on it then just leave as is.

i dont know if its just me or is one of your tires turning the wrong way??? :mellow:

It a fo esstra ango. Drifto rika Keichi !!!

Hey Ben. Keep it up with the project. still havent been able to see your truck in person.

How much you want for your L16 and tranny? I had to get rid of my KA project since it was going nowhere.

Hit me up if you need any help or tools.

-Omar

Hey Omar! wondered what you've been up to- It looks like I'll have to cannibalize a few things from the L16, but once the L20 is up and going, the L16 is coming to you. (you don't happen to have any trans mounts, or driveshafts laying around do ya?:D) Hit me up if you've got a day off!

Hey Omar! wondered what you've been up to- It looks like I'll have to cannibalize a few things from the L16, but once the L20 is up and going, the L16 is coming to you. (you don't happen to have any trans mounts, or driveshafts laying around do ya?:D) Hit me up if you've got a day off!

I've been enjoying my summer. Used to go to HB almost everyday until my gf dumped me haha.

That's fine as long as the block internals are still there I would take it.

I don't have any spare parts but if you need help welding your tranny mount I can help u with that.

I'm working on my own now. So just let me know when you are gonna work on your truck.

I've been enjoying my summer. Used to go to HB almost everyday until my gf dumped me haha.

That's fine as long as the block internals are still there I would take it.

I don't have any spare parts but if you need help welding your tranny mount I can help u with that.

I'm working on my own now. So just let me know when you are gonna work on your truck.

Deal!! dude, if you could help me out with some weldings, that would be huuge! I'll be up in LA helping Adam out with his 620 tomorrow, and then I'll be around here (costa mesa) working on my truck for the next few days.

I'll be in touch! hit me up if you're down this way, or if you need a hand.

Went up to Gardena to help Adam (motavated) with his 620 yesterday. He hooked me up with a clutch and the 620 5 speed driveshaft I needed! thanks Adam-

His truck is looking good- he had just installed the Beebani brackets and disks.

we bled the brakes and re-installed his torsions.... he had put in all new bushes...

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

came home and began pulling apart the L16

IMG_0366.jpg

length difference .... hmmm....

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

pirating the oil pan and pickup...

IMG_0371.jpg

Edited by hessianben

Hi Ben,

Great work, on the rear trans mount using the 620 cross member is much stronger than cutting and welding the 521 mount. If you are into doing burn outs I would go with the 620 cross member. I ran my shortened 521 mount for many years and miles without any problems but I drive easy.

Hi Ben,

Great work, on the rear trans mount using the 620 cross member is much stronger than cutting and welding the 521 mount. If you are into doing burn outs I would go with the 620 cross member. I ran my shortened 521 mount for many years and miles without any problems but I drive easy.

well, I do have the 620 mount... but that would mean fabbing/welding on new brackets to the frame?

IMG_0369.jpg

The shorter 620 front drive shaft should make up the roughly 5.75" difference in tranny length.

Could you measure the 521 tranny length for me and post it? Just to the end of the aluminum case and ignore the flange output. Thanks. :D

I have an old original 521 driveshaft if you want it or need it to piece together two for the 5spd. might have a 521 trans mount arount as well. Also have either a 620 or 510 trans mount.

Remember also the shift cover plate on the interior of your truck won't work anymore. The gear shift sits farther back. Also the original 521 gearshift won't work either.

I have an old original 521 driveshaft if you want it or need it to piece together two for the 5spd. might have a 521 trans mount arount as well. Also have either a 620 or 510 trans mount.

Remember also the shift cover plate on the interior of your truck won't work anymore. The gear shift sits farther back. Also the original 521 gearshift won't work either.

you got PM:D