mklotz70 RNL320(Melvin)

mklotz70

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CrabbyOne came over to play today......and he brought gifts!! First up....sweet steering wheel that suits Melvin to a 'T'!! Had to make an adapter first. Some of these would go nice on the machine work thread, but they're goin' here! :)

Had a 320 hub in a box...whittled it down a bit to get started.

100_0494.jpg

Had this AL plate in another box :) Used a hole saw to start, then the boring bar to open up the hole a to 2" so I could hold it on the lathe. I may find a different way next time since it would have been a bit better to have a smaller hole.

100_0501.jpg

I knew I was going to have to chew a good bit of metal off to get it round....that's why I wanted a solid mounting. I rough cut to shape with the circular saw and the bandsaw.

100_0502.jpg

Since the hub and the center hole didn't index on each other, we cut a small recess on the back of the plate to register the hub. Then on to the drilling and tapping.

100_0504.jpg

100_0508.jpg

100_0513.jpg

100_0516.jpg

CO fits in the NL pretty nicely....maybe he'll take it home someday :) You can see that we gained about 1.25" compared to the stock wheel.

100_0517.jpg

100_0519.jpg

So after CO had skidaddle off to whence he came....I played around with the original steering wheel mounting adapter. Basically, I turned the guts out of it to use it as a shroud on the back side of the wheel :)

100_0521.jpg

100_0526.jpg

100_0528.jpg

100_0529.jpg

100_0531.jpg

100_0542.jpg

100_0543.jpg

100_0546.jpg

100_0548.jpg

100_0549.jpg

100_0551.jpg

100_0555.jpg

I like it. I still need to fasten it to the hub somehow.

100_0556.jpg

I looked in another box, found a spring that worked for the horn button quite nicely. The blinkers will cancel with this adapter, but I won't get the horn to work....may do another now that I have it figure out..we'll see. At first I was going to trim the height of the hub center to get the horn down closer to the wheel, then realized it needed that distance. I'm not sure how I like the rubber surround around the horn, but it's what came with the wheel. I put it on the mill and turned a hold saw backwards to cut the foam. I was getting extremely tired and didn't take any pics of the process. It fits really, really tight around the horn button. :) I think the new wheel suits Melvin quite nicely!!! :)

100_0557.jpg

100_0568.jpg

100_0571.jpg

Another, extremely cool item CO brought with him....... I had to put this in asap!!! I kept giggling and Paula kept laughing at me for putting it in already!! I haven't decided if I'll wire it up or not. I'm considering it "on loan" from CO.....so no....it's not for sale!!

100_0532.jpg

100_0536.jpg

100_0538.jpg

100_0539.jpg

CO says he has some 15" rims too.....I just might have to drive up there and get them....I can put the lo-pro's on .....probably going to look too small :(....might have to lay out the rubber I have and see. :)

Awesome Mike!!! I was wondering if youd be sooo tempted by this fun project that you couldn't resist digging in! I can hear you now, "Well I'll just do the steering wheel, but that is it! .... well, ok I will just do this spotlight, it'll just take a second... but that is it."

Next thing you know the neighbors will hear a sawzall firing up at midnight, that NL will be lidless.

You know I think when we have a project that is pretty ratty and we just plan on having fun with it, it is so tempting to work on, cause there is very little pressure.:)

Yep...that's pretty much the case with Melvin.....there's no pressure or stress worrying about making it right.....I just get to have fun :) We started off just trying to get the wheel on and it ended up nicer than the mounts on either Paula's 521 or my NL! ....go figure!! :) CrabbyOne doesn't make it over very often, but I'm if the stars are aligned properly the next time....I'm thinking the lid will come off then :)

I need to get some hoses replaced and at least get the clutch working so I can move him hunder his own power. Then....I can pull it out whenever to play on :)

I think today will be spent on other things I'm supposed to be doing :(

Awesome Mike!!! I was wondering if youd be sooo tempted by this fun project that you couldn't resist digging in! I can hear you now, "Well I'll just do the steering wheel, but that is it! .... well, ok I will just do this spotlight, it'll just take a second... but that is it."

Next thing you know the neighbors will hear a sawzall firing up at midnight, that NL will be lidless.

You know I think when we have a project that is pretty ratty and we just plan on having fun with it, it is so tempting to work on, cause there is very little pressure.:)

lol x2

Is you family leaving you to be alone with your sickness?

LOL...nope....that's my oldest on the left moving back in. He and his g/f had just pulled in from Mich.

Great work on the adapter. Mike I believe that if you did not have a lathe it would be like you only having a left arm. :eek::lol:

Keep up the good work we enjoy it.

Does CO want an NL? :lol:

We'll see...he seemed to fit in it fairly well. He's been talking about wanting another dato project. We've also brought up the idea of him taking Melvin home and bringing it back when it's been "tweaked" :) I think if he had a spare chev 60deg v6 laying around to put in it, he would have towed it home yesterday! :)

Just got this from Indy510 Thanks!!! :)

nl3202bmp.jpg

I don't know Mike . . . Melvins looking pretty good in that pic!:lol::lol::lol:

You've gotten a few cool things done, considering, it's not getting worked on in 2009!:eek::blink::rolleyes:;):D

Awww gawrsh Mike, weren't no big deal. Although I probably should not have left you unsupervised with your brain still engaged....

Bob3 asked earlier, "Is it the truck or the mad man building it that has our attention?" I think we have our answer. lol

Melvin isn't such a bad little truck, I've seen worse, but I also grew up in Wisconsin where the roads were so salty that a vehicle would only last 5 years. There has been some creative fabricating done to it. Will be fun to convert it to a roadster.

If I was to do another Datsun, it would be another 520 pickup, or 2. I really do like 'em as daily drivers. The 320 is just too "cozy".

And now we return to our regularly scheduled thread....

I don't know Mike . . . Melvins looking pretty good in that pic!:lol::lol::lol:

You've gotten a few cool things done, considering, it's not getting worked on in 2009!:eek::blink::rolleyes:;):D

I know, I know....it was supposed to go straight to the backyard :( I told Paula today that if I thought for one second that I could get it on the road before the weather runs out, I'd do it....but with other commitments...there's no way.

Awww gawrsh Mike, weren't no big deal. Although I probably should not have left you unsupervised with your brain still engaged....

Bob3 asked earlier, "Is it the truck or the mad man building it that has our attention?" I think we have our answer. lol

Melvin isn't such a bad little truck, I've seen worse, but I also grew up in Wisconsin where the roads were so salty that a vehicle would only last 5 years. There has been some creative fabricating done to it. Will be fun to convert it to a roadster.

If I was to do another Datsun, it would be another 520 pickup, or 2. I really do like 'em as daily drivers. The 320 is just too "cozy".

And now we return to our regularly scheduled thread....

I'll shut my brain off just as soon as I go back to work.....I just don't need it there....in fact, the use of it is discouraged!

LOL.....now if I could just manage to focus my attention...you guys might have something to watch :)

Carl did a great job of keeping me on task....heck...I think he provided most of the brain power required to make that wheel adapter.....I just had the toyls :) Shouldn't be too hard to find him another 520. If you guys heard half of his ideas, you'd be anxious to see him get his hands on just about anything :) Oooo.....520 body dropped over a tube chassis with a chev 60deg v6 mid-eng, RWD....that would be a fun project!

I didn't do a darn thing today....we'll see what I play with tomorrow...should be the 411 stuff...................................should be! :)

Yeah...other commitments...:lol:

I have those too...they are known as "work" where I live.

Way to go though man...I was at a huge Cruise the other day and there were over 1000 cars there...I really love the look of a good old fashioned RAT!

Melvin totally nails the look in my mind. so cool man!

Drop it and run it till it pukes..then sell it to someone that you know will make it all happen again.:)

By the way...my little 521 got so much attention at this massive Hot-Rod and Custom Cruise...blew my mind!

People are gonna flip when you hit the streets in Melvin...great name Bob!:D...most folks have never even seen one!:blink:

Keep it up man...looks fun

Thanks. I really need to push it aside. But....if I can keep making steady progress on the other commitments....then I guess it won't hurt to tinker here and there :)

I pulled the wheel and put the blinker canceler on...it works. Knowing what I know now, I could have made the horn work too.....not sure it's worth redoing another 320 hub....I think I'll get one of those black, clamp on buttons for the column :)

100_0580.jpg

Okay...so I did work on Mend for about 3min....putting it's tires back on. I finished up my tire rotisserie and decided to clean up some rims/tires and get some better rolling stock on Melvin. I'll put the pics up first....may not do the vids until the morning :)

I had these 14" finned rims(which I love, but nobody else seems to!) and wanted to see them on a rig at least once. They're a bit on the big side to be able to lower the rig any, but that's not an issue with Melvin right now. I also has some 14" snow tires......so I paired them up :) You'll notice in the pics of the pass/rear that the first one has a big dent in front of the wheel and no dirt on the ground. Couple minutes with the 13lb slide hammer and I had some clearance for the tire and a pile of dirt on the ground. :)

100_0683.jpg

100_0686.jpg

100_0687.jpg

100_0688.jpg

100_0690.jpg

100_0693.jpg

Edited by mklotz70
My vote is to leave them right there. That looks cool.

X2 ! I had a set ot those in the early 80's on my 1975 Civic 1200. I like them.

BTW: good job doing no work on Melvin!:blush::rollseyes:

I've been trying to get Melvin on rollers so it could make it to the backyard, but life just took a big crap on us yesterday.....not sure Melvin will even make it back there.

The radio was in the bed when we parked it....I was wondering if anyone would notice :)

I may just end up moving these tires to different rims that will fit Paula's 521 better. I may try mounting one of these up on her's to see how they fit.

Here's some more from the tire mounting. I was going to do a separate wheel/tire thread....no time right now......so here they are :)

The first pic is for reference of what I mention in one of the vids. The fluid I'm using in the vids is starting fluid. For pete's sake be careful with that crap!!! I was nervous as all get out the first few times, but I've got at least 3 fire extinguishers in my shop :) Search youtube for more and better vids on how to do it. The tire collapses because the burning fluid uses up all the O2 in the tire and creates a vacuum. You have to fill it with air quickly to overcome that vacuum. The starting fluid burns out before it can ignite the rubber. Once it burns out, there's no more flammable vapors left in the tire...just the air and probably CO2 from the fire. It took me a bit to figure out why the tire didn't keep burning when more air was added. As my siggy states....I'm just not that bright!! :) So...if you do this and hurt yourself or others, don't blame me!!! Do your research and try it at your own risk!!! Some of the vid I edited out had some big ass fire going! I think my weenier shrunk just a bit the first time!!

100_0678.jpg

th_100_5455.jpg

th_100_5456.jpg

th_100_5457.jpg

th_100_5459.jpg

Edited by mklotz70

I was trying to get some of the rims/tires cleaned up while I had the tire changer set up....figured I'd spend a couple of minutes on the tailgate just for grins....I could sure as hell use some about now. Anyway.....I think I'll get it wedged in a bit better and then run some deck screws through it to hold it :) It does look better than the diamond plate. I need to get the bumper off, to put in the scrap metal pile.

100_0695.jpg

100_0696.jpg

100_0697.jpg