i just got BAR Reffed in my car!

Small update:

I just called Chris (NorCalDime), and he's in the waiting room at the BAR, and has been for close to 45 minutes. He doesn't know exactly what they're doing, whether it's a full visual inspection or if they're also doing a smog check and whatnot.

I told him to call me when he's out, and I'll post an update when I hear back!

cool, can't wait to hear what the outcome is.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm out shopping, but I figured I'd hop in and let yall know what's up. Chris just finished up, and he needs to either contact the court and pay the fine OR get a stock/carb approved intake, cel light, manual ecu (automatic ecu for a manual throws a light), etc etc, and retest it. Time to weigh our options!

C

just got home....

not good news.

So my computer in my car lists it is a 95 obd2 car automatic.... so guess what.

extra emission things i dont have!

So i need cat, 2 o2 sensors, and fuel evap complete with in tank setup.

and get an auto tranny lol

Or

get an s13 ecu.

Dont need a cat,

but i do have to get

Install oem or approved cold air intake

install working CEL

Fine with 1 o2 sensor

Install working EGR system

Install evap with charcoal canister, but no tank modifications needed

install PCV to OEM or approved intake

Set timing/idle to factory specs

and there you go.

Oh and they cant even do the loud exhaust part of my ticket untill my car passes this stuff. Then they compare it to factory specs on the motor.

Oh and my numbers

HC(ppm)

max 89, measured 106

CO(%)

Max .53, measured .76

NO(ppm)

Max 708, measured 4238 (haha)

Funny thing too they used the Jim wolf technology ecu id list.

So bottom line is i have alot of stuff to do, or i just sell my car and say to hell with all this because this is garbage. It seems like a joke i have to do all this and makes me lose interest in ever modding a car agian. If i do pay the fine, whats to stop another cop from popping my hood on the way home from court and being in the same mess agian?

Edited by NorCalDime

Things we have at Chris' disposal:

Full stock intake tube/box OR CARB approved intake

Intake manifold with EGR valve/butterflies

EGR vaccuum tube plate

S13 ECU

Timing light

What we need:

Charcoal canister

Time to install things

DONATE TO THE "HELP CHRIS" FUND!! If y'all have a charcoal/evap canister, we could uuuuse it... otherwise we're off to Pick N Pull

I used to go through this when I did a lot of Honda stuff but it was easy for most part as long as you have all the parts installed it should pass the referree. the laws and state are tough. If you put a newer motor in you have to put all the emmissions items and make it look and respond as oem as possible. I know it sounds like a lot of work but if you look in the long run once you do this and get it to pass the referee and put a more quiet muffler I bet the car will still feel strong. be clean running and better gas mileage and you will be up to date on laws as I bet california will make it tough for all of us that own older cars and would want us to conform to new laws or make us try to get rid of the older cars. I myself have been thinking of going with a KA and making it all stock just so I can stay on top of what may happen for the future. Good luck but I know you can do all of this and make it work. It will be tough but at least the experience will help you learn a lot.

Yea man, we have talked on the phone a few times...

I believe this is all new information to both of us! But i guess i have to admit, it is a little too good to be true if we were exempt from everything :lol:

I think we just have the luxury that most police officers respect the classics AT LEAST a little....

So when you get a ref ticket you have to get your car smogged/sniffed? I thought if you got reffed all you had to do was get your emissions stuff back on and pass a visual inspection....hmmm....this is turning into mud butt very quickly...ughhhhhh :mellow:

It seems like a joke i have to do all this and makes me lose interest in ever modding a car agian.

If i do pay the fine, whats to stop another cop from popping my hood on the way home from court and being in the same mess agian?

too bad you dont have an L20 to throw back in there :mellow:

nothing to stop em from doing it, again and again, BEFORE you have a chance to correct and/or pay the fine. :fu: :fu: :fu:

the cops discression on the dB level is just that.

the burden is then on the owner to show that is doesnt exceed the limit.

if the law specifies a value that can not be exceeded, 95 for exhaust, then a method to determine that value must be used to prove it, either way.

I bet the taze-happy officer would have told you to get out of your car and then tazed you if you denied opening your hood.

Or if you wont' get out, he'll bust the window and taze you. Those idiots always do that and get away with it! Its assault!

If you comply, you get a huge ticket.

There's a lot of talk here that the cops have to prove there's a violation.

No, they don't. They only need to prove it to get a conviction. In the case of compliance issues, most cops who pull you over for being "loud" or "illegal modifications" could care less if you actually pass the inspection- their point was made when they pulled you over in the first place. The hassle you have to jump through is to reinforce that point. Some folks get the message, some folks just get angry which only leads to getting more hassle. So you end up either "beat into submission" or in even hotter water for continued noncompliance.

But they don't pull over people that they are sure are in compliance. Most cops can smell noncompliance, and they get REALLY ticked when they can't find anything to write you up on. 99% of the time they'll find SOMETHING, because if they didn't think they could find something they wouldn't pull you over.

You've got 3 choices:

1) Comply

2) Not comply, and take your chances of getting caught

3) Try to change the rules

Being stuck in a Nanny state is the price paid for living in Kalifornia. When you pack that many people in one place you are going to get rules you don't like, because folks didn't follow common sense and avoid the problems that caused those laws to be created.

like i said man put the smog stuff on it and have it checked get the ticket dismissed and take it all back off it looks like you already have 90% of what ya need like i said o have a carcol canister if ya need it its for a datto but i dont see how that would make a difference eather way it would look factory

In cali being smog exempt only exempts you from annual smog test's, you can still be pulled over and be referred to CHP or a smog ref and you can still have a smog test if it goes far enough. I'll say it again.. YOU ARE ONLY EXEMPT FROM ANNUAL SMOG TESTING. ANY COP/CHP OFFICER CAN SEND YOU TO GET INSPECTED/SMOGGED AT ANY TIME IF THEY HAVE PROBABLY CAUSE AND YOU GET PULLED OVER. pm me if you still dont understand. I have been dealing with the grey area of the smog rules in cali for the past 6 years on a daily basis and have read and understand the fine print.

Datsunaholic: You are impeccable with your speech and I comepletly agree with your statement! I took criminal justice for years and your right on what the cops actually teach! #1 Rule: Know your rights but dont be an ass about them. I.M.O.

Best signature on the forum I have seen yet B.T.W. ;)

i live in cali too and i know how you feel.....

The fact of the matter is the noise ticket has to be judged by a db meter by BAR... the bummer is that the BAR ref will check under your hood for the other part of your ticket...... even if you are smog exempt its still illegal to alter emissions in any way without BARs permission. If you are running a KA motor you need to meet all emissions for that year KA and you will also have the fun of smogging it every 2 years....... You need to get a hold of an l16 and throw it in and go to BAR to get the ticket written off..... if you find anyway around this please let us Cali peeps know how.

You could have refused to let him open your hood but he would have called a DOT officer and he would have screwed you bad ranging from emissions to any illegal non DOT approved parts on your car.... so you went the best route believe it or not.

Edited by steve g

after reading the whole thread i'm still confused a little bit.

if you get the proper smog equipment put on the dime, you will now have to pass smog every two years?

if you sell the car before seeing the judge, will you still be fined?

am i correct in assuming that it would have been easier to just swap in the old motor and have the ref pass it like that?

after reading the whole thread i'm still confused a little bit.

if you get the proper smog equipment put on the dime, you will now have to pass smog every two years?

if you sell the car before seeing the judge, will you still be fined?

am i correct in assuming that it would have been easier to just swap in the old motor and have the ref pass it like that?

The smog equipment is just to get it to pass and be BAR certified and to also drop ticket. My car is still exempt from Bi- annual Smock checks.

Not sure about selling the car and getting out of it, but i think you can, because i think that is what phil did with his 240.

It would be very easy to swap in an l16. But who still is running a bone stock l16? My car came with a balls out l20 wich would do me no good.

The more i look at this emissions stuff the harder i think it will be to adapt to my car.

my motor is s14, so to do it properly i need to adapt the s13 stuff as to avoid obd2 requirements.

So i need the swirl control valves on the intake wich i have, but i have an s14 harness so it has no plugs for this.

Then s13s had this PAIR-C thing.

n4i71w.jpg

it has a solenoid that attaches to a plug that is in the body harness.... so who knows how i can attach that!

And the bottom part of it connects to the exhaust manifold, right were my steering box is. So i would somehow need to modify it... but whouldnt modifing it to fit be in essense "modifying smog equipment"

Also im gonna need to cut and splice an s13 harness plug in place of my s14 plug wich sure is gonna be fun :(

And i just looked at it today and there is NO WAY im gonna fit the whole intake assembly in. The flex tube that has the hole for the PCV tube is way too long placing the plastic intake tube right on top of my radiator core support. Sooo... hood wont close.

i dont know whjat to do now.

You've got 3 choices:

1) Comply

2) Not comply, and take your chances of getting caught

3) Try to change the rules

Your post was excellent, however there really is a 4th option.

Convert to CNG.

The price of a CNG Gasoline Gallon Equivalent (GGE) in Sacramento today is $2.09. If you get a home refueling unit, its probably half that because of you'r not paying fees or road tax. In Utah its $.97 statewide

http://www.cngvc.org/index.php

http://www.cngprices.com/

Once you get the car inspected and approved, its smog exempt and practically the greenest thing you can drive. Range can be limited by the size of your tank but they're adding more CNG stations all the time. Also if there is ever another oil embargo, most Natural Gas we use is produced in North America.

My dream is to run cng, some ridiculous 14:1 comp monster. Here we don't have shit for filling stations, I honestly don;t know why ore cali folk don't take advantage of having more int heir state then the rest of the country combined. Say nothing for the gov rebates and allowances the performance is FAR superior.