1979 510 2-door, lots of problems, not running, only $1000!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/car/427717285.html

01010201150201031220070920604028bcea5720b268005bd0.jpg

Hey there!

I'm interested in selling my 1979 Datsun 510 Hatchback!

It does not currently run' date=' although when it did, it ran GREAT. I'm talkin' I'd regularly spin donuts and whatnot all the time and the car would handle it great. This car has quite a bit wrong with it, due to mileage and how old it is. It was maintained very good until it's most recent problems (stopped driving it).

It's a five-speed manual rear wheel drive. It's got the original paint color (which has faded) and red flames on the hood (I DID NOT PAINT THEM! HAHA!).

Here's the things wrong with it:

- Ever since the plug last blew out, I let it sit for a while, since my girlfriend had recently bought a new car and we had no use for it. The car would run on three cylinders (albeit VERY loudly) usually, but since I last started to try it, it won't start and seems to be spitting coolant out of the cylinder.

- The clutch needs to be replaced VERY bad. I was able to run it from Seattle to Kent every day on the lack of clutch, but any acceleration on the freeway had to be done very gradually. I have a replacement clutch kit that I will give to you for free (paid around 80 bucks for it) if you buy the car.

- There's various rust spots on the car and the interior needs to be redone.

- A few parts of the dash are broken, but it still holds.

- The radio was pulled out since it didn't work, I was going to try to have someone repair it, but didn't. I will give it to you.

- The moonroof leaks when it rains, which has contributed to the driver's side seat deteriorating over the last two years.

- The suspension probably needs to be redone, or new shocks at least. If you get the car to start and drive, you'll notice the rear of the car hits very loud when going over speedbumps.

- The front brakes need new pads and rotors (they pulsate when braking, but they do work fine).

- Steering needs to be aligned.

- Ignition cylinder/assembly was broken out, it's hotwired.

To be honest, you need to see the car to see what is all completely wrong with it. There's probably more things wrong with it, but if you're a mechanic, it'd be great.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the cylinder blowing plugs out, but before it did that, I was able to drive the car without problem from Seattle to the Oregon coast just fine. It was fast and had lots of torque. It was quite the car to go faux-autocrossing in (note the pictures below, the montage is from when the snow hit Seattle last year).

I'm very flexible on the price, I need to get rid of it and I'm in desperate need of a reliable commuter car; I'm currently sharing my girlfriends VW Beetle, and it's going to become a hassle soon. I know it's pretty valuable for someone wanting to fix it up, as Nissan (then Datsun) used to race them back in the 70's.

You would need to have it towed/moved. The tabs are current until September, and it is old enough to bypass King County emissions testing.

DO NOT CONTACT ME IF YOU'RE A SCAMMER, I AM NOT INTERESTED.[/quote']

:eek::D:p :rolleyes:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like those hatchbacks... but not at that price. I buy 'em for $100.

exactly. If he put $200 as the price he probably would not sell it for a while...

If it was a 1969 2-door 510 with that straight of a body he would at least get some offers with a price tag of a grand. I think everyone with those late 70's 510s sees the prices of the earlier ones and gets excited. ... everyone that doesn't really know the value of certain Datsun models. :rolleyes:

theres a guy here in eugene that keeps trying to sell his 710 wagon for $3500. Hes been trying for months, you figure at some point you realize no one is gunna pay...

atleast MOST of the HL owners realize there car isn't worth anything. I agree with bleach, they see the early cars going for a lot and think they got the same thing and its worth the same amount.

Hey all-

I know the PL and HL are different animals but there seems to be No love for the HL 510's. I am selling a 78 with 96k mi in pretty good condition for $750 and the only response I have gotten so far is from an agency who will buy it to get it off the road- read crush it. I have a real hard time thinking that an L20B that just passed California emissions( cat + EGR etc.) with flying colors is such a environmental threat when compared to all the SUV's down here in socal.

Must be nice to have all the new cars everyone else seems to be able to afford. I would of been very happy to have this car when I first started driving( my first car was totalled when I got it).

Any ideas who might be interested or where else to sell it?

Thanks

Scott

Hey all-

I know the PL and HL are different animals but there seems to be No love for the HL 510's. I am selling a 78 with 96k mi in pretty good condition for $750 and the only response I have gotten so far is from an agency who will buy it to get it off the road- read crush it. I have a real hard time thinking that an L20B that just passed California emissions( cat + EGR etc.) with flying colors is such a environmental threat when compared to all the SUV's down here in socal.

Must be nice to have all the new cars everyone else seems to be able to afford. I would of been very happy to have this car when I first started driving( my first car was totalled when I got it).

Any ideas who might be interested or where else to sell it?

Thanks

Scott

I would have probably been interested in the motor alone... Damn smog crap was killing me down here. Got it fixed though. Sorry, good luck selling it.

$750 is a better price for a late 510 in really good shape that runs.

$1000 for a project that doesn't run is way too much...

Advertise on craigslist and see if you can find any Datsun forums down south. Maybe just the local paper or park it out somewhere. Looks matter most. Detail it. If the paint is all one color, polish it out.

Well, I think I will pay the back registration ($125, been inop and garaged since 2002)and drive it a while to work and home. A couple of people looked at it during lunch so maybe there is hope of a sale.

I wish my truck had as nice a paint as the 510. Took wax very nicely as well.

I need to adjust the carb and find a 103 primary jet for the carb.

I will try Craigslist later if I can't sell it ( it is in the recycler now)

BTW, what Datsun clubs are in socal? Website?

Thanks all-

Scott

• 3 weeks later...
Well we know the headlights work...& o ya im diggin the fadeaway rattle can flames. Im sure a few crimes have been committed in that car ;) Should read,baby's mamma forces sale :D

So if a 510 is called a "dime".. what's A 521 called? :cool: :confused:

I call my 521 a beater :D Heres a few of my fav. quotes from his ad...

The front brakes need new pads and rotors (they pulsate when braking, but they do work fine). if they need new pads how do they work fine?

- A few parts of the dash are broken, but it still holds. Thats good..i hate dash parts falling off !

The radio was pulled out since it didn't work, I was going to try to have someone repair it, but didn't. I will give it to you. Gee thanks, thats the deal clincher!

- Ignition cylinder/assembly was broken out, it's hotwired. Who would try & steal it?

Sorry if it seems like im harsh..i just find the ad interesting to say the least :cool:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.