lowering my truck

SHADY280

so im gonna start working on my truck soon, and first easy task is lowering it. but heres the simple question, i want it down 2". not any more because it wont go thru parking lots easily, so.. what else do i have to do on these other than add the block and crank the torsion bars down? should i re-index the torsion bars?, cut the bump stops? its so simple for you guys, but ive never actually dealt with this type of setup b4. any help is appreciated

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't you always wanted an extra inch!!!!

HAHAHA

i've just gone through this myself and the torsion bars are super easy. for some reason i felt like it must be harder... i'm sitting there looking at them thinking, there's no way that was it. and so i just figured well i'll take it off the jackstands and see if i did anything. HAHA it was almost tucking tire. and it will oneday. but here's my odd lil thoughts, i'm thinking about going back the other way with it, just cause i kinda live in the country and the way some of these roads flood... oh i wish i had two so i could have one slammed on it's nuts and one lifted :D haha

oh and don't forget plenty of PB blaster

i was just kinda going by what i wanted the rear lowered to. 2-3 inches isnt all that much.. anybody have pix of the difference in heights from side profile? anything from 1 inch all the way down to 3 or 4 inches (rear height i guess) and list what height you did? i havent bought blocks yet so im up for a decision. im going 17" chevy steel rims, so thats the basic fitment, as long as i dont need flares, and i dont drag on speedbumps. the rusty frames on these thing are thin enough!

HAHAHA

i've just gone through this myself and the torsion bars are super easy. for some reason i felt like it must be harder... i'm sitting there looking at them thinking, there's no way that was it. and so i just figured well i'll take it off the jackstands and see if i did anything. HAHA it was almost tucking tire. and it will oneday. but here's my odd lil thoughts, i'm thinking about going back the other way with it, just cause i kinda live in the country and the way some of these roads flood... oh i wish i had two so i could have one slammed on it's nuts and one lifted :D haha

Maybe lowering is different, but after raising mine to max (flooded roads) it affected the toe in slightly and I had to loosen the center link and adjust it to get the wheels facing straight down the road. You might take a look.

Guest DatsuNoob
i was just kinda going by what i wanted the rear lowered to. 2-3 inches isnt all that much.. anybody have pix of the difference in heights from side profile? anything from 1 inch all the way down to 3 or 4 inches (rear height i guess) and list what height you did? i havent bought blocks yet so im up for a decision. im going 17" chevy steel rims, so thats the basic fitment, as long as i dont need flares, and i dont drag on speedbumps. the rusty frames on these thing are thin enough!

Hey Shady, check out the trucks section, page 4, thread title "No more rake" That's my white 620 sitting on 3 inch drop blocks. I thought about 2" blocks prior to doing the 3", and I'm glad I didn't cause I actually want another 1"-1.5" lower. You can get another inch easy, by taking out a couple leafs in the rear and re-indexing your torsions bars. I mean, how many damn leafs do these little trucks need anyway?! I've got more than my buddy's midsize Dakota work truck. Ask Bleach for some tips. The only thing I noticed with 3" blocks is that my rear end is riding on the bump stops. Makes for a decent slam when going over speed bumps and what not :D Might try trimming them, or removing them completely and making something I can attach to my rear end, like a more low profile bump stop. I've got a couple ideas in my head.

yeah im in "waiting stage" right now... waiting for my blocks to get here (via ups) I knew in the begining that 2"-3" just wasnt going to cut it for me. so i ordered 4" chassis-tech blocks with the pinion angle correction. I plan on taking out as many leafs as needed AND replacing the bump stops with tiny ones.. there will be a "fish-tail" of road reflectors behind her haha.

thats all cool for awhile but coilovers or bags are in the "dream pile"

cant wait to see your truck dropped!!!!

HAHAHA

Put a snorkel on it, best of both worlds :D

here is mine I reindexed the torsion bars and went with 3 inch blocks and only 1 leaf :D I basically hear the alxe hit my frame about 10 to 20 times a day. I got some sweet shocks from Hainz for cheap but they blew out :( O well.... Time for coilovers I guess :D

620lookngood.jpg

I like that photo because it looks way lower :D

IMG_0414.JPG

I had one in the snow but I cant find it :( dam that sucks I liked that photo....

noob, that seems to be a reasonable amount to lower it, it just gets the tire at the right spot for me, how are speed bumps and inclined driveways? seems all the gas stations around here are on raised ground, i know its havock in my 280. icehouse, thats low, or looks lower than 3". i guess the leaf removed really drops it that extra bit. plus being a longer truck helps that illusion. anyone got pix of some 17"'s with the 3 inch drop?

I had the "2" pack :D now its only 1... It hasn't broke in 20k miles so I'm sure its fine... It does rub on speed bumps because the exhaust hangs a little on the low side. It just looks so dam good I can't raise it :D Once I get my dime on the road I'm going to fix the exhaust so I can cut more of the bumpstop out. That way it will ride nice. Maybe do a mini notch :D

Guest DatsuNoob
noob, that seems to be a reasonable amount to lower it, it just gets the tire at the right spot for me, how are speed bumps and inclined driveways? seems all the gas stations around here are on raised ground, i know its havock in my 280. icehouse, thats low, or looks lower than 3". i guess the leaf removed really drops it that extra bit. plus being a longer truck helps that illusion. anyone got pix of some 17"'s with the 3 inch drop?

Speed bumps can be a problem if theyre the friggin monster ones at apt complexes. I used to have to drive up onto the curb and sidewalk to park inside my boss' shop in Tacoma and my header flange would scrape a little. Neither one are that big a deal though if you approach these things at an angle and just take it slow. You may or may not run into a problem with clearance issues with your exhaust and rear end. I know I did, but I run turbo Eagle Talon tsi exhaust. The muffler that used to sit above my rear end now sits directly in front(about a half inch away from) of my rear axle and left shock. Probably not a g00d thing, but I'll re-evaluate my exhaust now that it's dumped a little. Other than that, I highly reccomend finding a 90Talon tsi to rob for it's exhaust pipe. I've said it before, but the bends are as close to perfect as you'll find for something that's not made for a Datsun. Flows real good. But back to suspension, I noticed that after I put my truck down this much, there's basically NO body roll, just super bouncy cause she's riding on bump stops and there's not much shock travel.

I had the "2" pack :D now its only 1... It hasn't broke in 20k miles so I'm sure its fine... It does rub on speed bumps because the exhaust hangs a little on the low side. It just looks so dam good I can't raise it :D Once I get my dime on the road I'm going to fix the exhaust so I can cut more of the bumpstop out. That way it will ride nice. Maybe do a mini notch :D

Jeff you can do a simple "C" notch & never hear the frame hit the axle again like i did on mine. Shady...for the front-crank down torsions. The rear- 3 inch angled blocks & remove the 2nd longest leaf spring & it'll sit level. You may need to trim the rear bump stops but in front you should be ok.

thanks guys, i just had custom 2.25" exhaust done, and the lowest part is where it goes under and past the stupid torsion bar and tranny x-members. the rest is tucked well above the frame, the lowest point is aboot 1.25 below the frame. i haul stuff like engines in my truck, should i be taking out a leaf?

hmmmm.... lemme know if ya do. i may come down one of these days, i got 17" rims getting shipped to ship happens in sumas wash. so i can just cruise a little further. i just cant seem to make it down there. kinda annoying. now that the dollar is so high, the boader crossing on weekends is 2+ hours south, and 15 minutes to cross northbound.