Goodbye torsion bars

Fineline

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats exactly what I wanted to do with my 620 but my Z needs suspension first. I love that setup though and I have only seen a few other trucks do it like that, some guy down in az with a 720 did it all the way around. How much travel do you figure you have? peace.

That is sweet! You should do a write up on this I know some of us would like to know exactly how it's done or atleast I would :D

Me too Me too!!! That is nice and cheaper than bags... Actually, in a few months I may be able to afford bags and to pay someone to do the fab for me (no welding skillz). But till then that is an awesome setup!

You can also remove that bar or strut that braces between the front torsion bar mounts too. Cut mine off a couple of weeks ago and it really opens up the engine bay. VG anyone? Could probably drop the oil pan to change the gasket if I want.

Awesome stuff Fineline!! Glad to see you posted them here too!

Spiff.....so where are you finding coilovers cheaper that bags?? Last coilovers I priced were about $300 a set. Bags are about $150 a set, but about $30 for fittings and tubing.....you don't need a compressor to run a static height like the coilovers would give you. I'd love to find them cheaper!! :)

Yes I did. The mounts started as a piece of 3/8" x 1.5" steel with two ears welded to them. I welded that to the front face of the mount and down to the frame. Then I notched the existing mount and welded it back on tying it to the back side of the frame.

Theres this machine called a MIG ( Metal Inert Gas ) "welder." It uses heat created with electricity to fuse metal together..........:).....Like that? I took it out on the road today and drove the shit out of it. What a difference! Its nice to have suspension in the front end again. I was getting on the freeway onramps at 50-60 mph and it just went. No more front end dive. Point and go!

2eDeYe;17802']Right on...I'm planning to do this on mine. Where did you pick up the coilovers? What size are they? 10"?

Mike where did you find coilovers fo $300 a set???

They are QA1 p/n# 3855. Theres a company on E-bay that sells them for about $300 as set shipped. I got mine local but summit also has them. I am using 300 lbs. springs.

wow, i really like it, what are the specs of the spring/shocks. just in case i stumble across something simmilar. so 300# springs, whats the length and stuff of the shock. im doing the 78 front conversion soon, and welding on the new upper mounts onto the frame, so i might as well do it right.