Goodbye torsion bars

Fineline

Right now the truck handles great with the leafs out back and I have plenty of other things that need attention.

Brandon's feeling the pressure now that my truck's going to be back on the road again. I was starting to think that the turbo L was turning into a coffee table at his house :eek:

:D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

so... I'm looking at the front suspension of my 521... and just a quick shoddy measuring job, it looks like it's about 9.5" from bottom shock bolt to top of shock/underside of upper mounting bracket, and there seems to be a little bit under 3" inside the upper arm between the rubber stoppers...

am I smoking that good shit thinking that I can bolt up the same QA1 Fineline is running in place of the stock shock on my '72 521? obviously I would reinforce the upper mount part of things, but I think they might fit?!?! they're supposed to have around a 9.5" height, and the spring is 2.5 or 3" diameter, right?

anybody...thoughts/ideas?

Brandon's feeling the pressure now that my truck's going to be back on the road again. I was starting to think that the turbo L was turning into a coffee table at his house :eek:

:D

Your going down twin cam boy!

sounds like we are going to need a really wide road cuz we are gunna be 3 wide... until I get the tires to stop spinning and the OLD FJ20 turbo will be taken the lead :lol: :lol::D:fu: :eek:

so... I'm looking at the front suspension of my 521... and just a quick shoddy measuring job, it looks like it's about 9.5" from bottom shock bolt to top of shock/underside of upper mounting bracket, and there seems to be a little bit under 3" inside the upper arm between the rubber stoppers...

am I smoking that good shit thinking that I can bolt up the same QA1 Fineline is running in place of the stock shock on my '72 521? obviously I would reinforce the upper mount part of things, but I think they might fit?!?! they're supposed to have around a 9.5" height, and the spring is 2.5 or 3" diameter, right?

it will work we have already done Makibaka's 521 :D

Take a look at the uppere part of the shock mount. There isnt enough room for the spring pearch to clear. You will also have to use the stud mount instead of the eye which adds a little length. The 3855's are recommended to be mounted at 10" if I remember correct which is fine if you are only running a few inches of drop. This brings us back to the upper mount. You may be able to make it work by kicking out the bottom mount like I did but I dont think so. Good luck.

I got the same QA1's as Kiznook on the back of my dime as well. I love them especialy since they can be adjusted for comfort with ease. I would love to do this to the 521 but just dont have the time or money. I am reverting my funds to a 1950 willys CJ3A project I started about 13 years ago.

so...who is right? fineline says no, i need to mod the brackets. and 69FJ says yes, bolt it up!

and as far as kiznook's rear, i know nothing of it... plus a dime's rear is different than mine, so i haven't read too much into them yet.

and is it a 2.5" or 3" diameter spring?

my suspension is basically shot, and i've been trying to decide what i'd like to do to remedy the situation... bags are out of the question. and i want to go lower... so if this works, i'm ordering them ASA F'n P!!! i've wanted my truck lower since before i bought it!

and a question about the rear... could i bolt up a QA1 coilover, hypothetically, if it would fit and simply bolt up, in the rear... therefore, having a coilver in the rear w/the leafsprings still mounted? any benefit to this setup? would you be able to remove the leafsprings if you reinforced the shock mounts enough to support coilovers and the weight of the truck problem free??

if it wasn't blatantly obvious, i don't know much on the workings of these old truck suspensions.

thanks for the info!

pat

Pat you do have to do some fab work to make it fit I dont think anything will "bolt in" but you do have to move the upper mount up and reinforce it like fineline did on his 620 as far as the rear... figure out the length compressed and extended on your old shock also measure length at ride height and look at QA1s site at there shocks find one that will work dont try to use the coilover springs with the leaf spring the thing will ride like crap! and you use a 2.5" id spring on the fronts

Guest DatsuNoob

Hey Fineline! I know you already did the front, so a write-up would probably be a big pain in the ass, but could you do one for when you get around to changing out the rear suspension? I drive too crazy for 32 year old Datsun suspension :D, thanks. Looks great by the way!

the shocks are blown, the rubber bushings are cracked/cracking and falling apart for the front end, sway bar end links, everything is squeaky... its old and shitty... uncomfortable... and nowhere near performance oriented. the truck is wishy washy to drive, and hard to drive in a straight line. thats shot about it.

as far as getting rid of the leafsprings and going 4-link, thats a bit more down the road from where i'm at as far as having a good place to work on cars... so for now, new shocks out back will have to do.

for the fronts, i'm trying to find someone that can weld new brackets for me. i'm buying a set of rims, so new front suspension is going to have to wait a bit.

well you can buy new sway bar bushings and the top A arm bushings.

I bought a new ADDCO sway bar for the front of my 521. It did help corner better.

KYB make a "Gas a just" shock which work very well but if your going really low then I dont know. The rear just get a" Gas a just" also.

My 1st batch were just the cheap white Monroes from Schucks at 10$ apc. then I got he KYB later when somebody had them for sale. otherwise kinda spendy for a daily driver/ Remeber a shock just keeps the car from bouncing up and down so it doesnt go into oscillation.

Now do you need KINGPINS?? that is a expensive fix there in itself.

jack up the wheel and pull it from under and see if loose.

MKlotz might have a spare as I gave him one to rebuild. He knows how to rebuild them but is still a pain. The Kingpin kit itself is cheap(rockauto.com)

Be honest I dont think the springs or torsion bars you have are bad. Just that its a old tech truck and dont expect it to be a lowered 510, Its just a 521

i agree, i don't think the torsion bars or springs are bad themselves, as far as condition. as for getting rid of the torsion bars, yes, because it is old tech, plus i want my truck lower, and to handle a bit better. as far as a sway bar, i will be doing one of these fairly soon with new bushings/end links, just haven't reached that item on my to-buy list.

i haven't looked at the top A arm bushings yet, and i'm not sure if the kingpins are bad. i'll be swapping wheels this weekend, so i will take a closer look, and more in-depth, at more parts, and see where things stand.

for the gas-a-just, i think i want my truck lower than a replacement shock will handle. in the rears, with a 4" angle block, would a gas-a-just be ok back there? i'm almost positive they won't last on the front with how low i want it

i will be eventually going disc brakes, but i don't see that happening for at least another couple-few months away... so hopefully my kingpins are at the least, going to last that long?:eek:

its JUST a 521?!? no way!! its so much more than JUST a 521!!:D

Hey Fineline! I know you already did the front, so a write-up would probably be a big pain in the ass, but could you do one for when you get around to changing out the rear suspension? I drive too crazy for 32 year old Datsun suspension :D, thanks. Looks great by the way!

Sooner or later (probably later) im going to have to address the rear suspension issue. Realistically it handles great with the stock leafs de-arched, 2" blocks, 3/4" sway bar, and a LSD. I have the gas-a-justs right now and they are real stiff. The problem with the rear shock setup is the stud on bottom arrangement. Most shocks are eye to eye or stud on top arrangement and cant be flipped. I did find some lower pearches off a Toyota that look like they will bolt on and convert the lower mounts to eyes. That and they are set for the shocks to mount inboard like the 620's. Ive been a little pre-occupied lately but may end up with the stock suspension , Toyota mounts and a set of adjustable QA-1's. But then again I could also 4-link it? I just want it back on the road.

Oh yeah I almost forgot. I measured the OD of the QA-1 springs. They are 3 5/8" The advertised 2 1/2" is the ID.

• 1 month later...

There is really nothing wrong with leaf springs, a friend who auto X`s a 1970 Nova and another who have mini tubs in a low 9 sec. Mustang both use adjustable "traction bars" this keeps the rear end from winding up on the leaf spring and keeps pinion angles constant.

http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/suspension/traction_bars.htm

http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/fbomb/hrdp_0705_1973_chevrolet_camaro_suspension/photo_03.html

• 5 months later...

Hey Fineline! I have searched high and low and I can't find a QA1 p/n 3855 ANYWHERE. I've searched Summit Racing, QA1, eBay, google, Jegs, etc.

Can you verify that this is indeed the part number needed to locate them?

Thanks!!

You need a couple more letters in the part #

The brand or style is Proma-Star. I chatted with Brandon a bit about them at one point, he said if he was to do it again he'd go up in size.

So...I plan to run the DR4855B's all the way around. Still haven't orded them yet tho :(

http://qa1.thomasnet.com/viewitems/proma-star-reg-single-and-double-adjustable-shoc-2/proma-star-reg-single-and-double-adjustable-shocks?&plpver=1001&forward=1

While I'm here...

Any updates? :D

Heres the link.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HAL%2DDR3855P&N=700+4294925130+400026+4294738637+115&autoview=sku

Red is correct. There is enough room under there for another inch or two and you will gain a little travel. The 3855's work flawlessly dont get me wrong. I would recomend the longer coilovers. Just keep an eye out for the upper spring perch and its association with the mount. Mine are close to the mount and if you go up a few it will be closer.

The 3855's work great dont get me wrong. I think you only gain about 1/4" with the longer shocks but im my world every inch (or fraction there of) makes a difference. :lol:

I switched to #350 lbs springs because of the added weight of the turbo, manifold, intercooler, etc. but both worked well. In a hard corner I could bind up the #300 hence the change.

Hope this helps.

:lol: