Goodbye torsion bars

Fineline

That looks great Fineline, your fab work is awsome. I'm glad you posted it here to :) the stance is very atractive :) your truck keeps getting better and better. I've been daily driving my 620 for some time, I really want to do that setup, my truck rides and handles like shit. I drove my 510 yesterday, when I got back in my 620 it felt like such a "truck" I gotta fix that :D seeing your truck is modivating me big time.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good that low Brandon...looks like it sits about half an inch lower than before cant wait to go for a ride or drive it...hint hint :D I know a certain white truck that will be getting a set along with a brake kit. found a set of mikuni carbs for my LZ 2.2 so it may be a while

They are QA1 p/n# 3855. Theres a company on E-bay that sells them for about $300 as set shipped. I got mine local but summit also has them. I am using 300 lbs. springs.

I did a search with no luck on the exact set you have. Are all the kits the same "dampener"? With different height springs?

Thanks for the compliments guys. Here is the company that sells them on E-bay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/QA1-Proma-Star-Adjustable-Coilover-Shock_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ009QQitemZ190150225416QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW You can also call them and they will help you out. When I set everything up I put the truck on stands and removed the torsion bars. I then jacked the wheels up to ride height and with the lower mount in place figured where the upper needed to go. The company reccommends 9.5" to 10" mounting height. Once the mounts were in and reinforced I just had to crank up on the springs to get them where I needed them. The great thing about these shocks is they have an adjustable dampening to them. I have them at 4 clicks for my commute as to not beat the crap out of myself (I save that for in front of the computer) But can stiffen them up fo a little "spirited" driving. The whole process takes about 30 seconds. I will try and find a source fotr the brackets I used. They really made it quite easy. At first I cut the top of the shock tower but in hindsight I really didnt even have to do that. I think total this whole mod with shocks, springs, and brackets cost just over $400.

Looks good that low Brandon...looks like it sits about half an inch lower than before cant wait to go for a ride or drive it...hint hint :D I know a certain white truck that will be getting a set along with a brake kit. found a set of mikuni carbs for my LZ 2.2 so it may be a while

So do I have to start with the truck before I get to race the FJ? Next month baby!

• 2 weeks later...
The build up was a bit easier to see in the pics I got :)

Glad to hear it drives as nice as you were expecting!!! So about how far does it compress the springs as you let the weight off the jack and onto the tire?

Yeah if you have some more pics that would be great..

Would this work on the 521??

You are correct. I used a pre-fabbed shock relocating bracket as a starting point. I got them from a local shop but i'll be dambed if I can find them anywhere online. When I have the time I am going to go back to the shop and see if I cant get a company name that manufactures them. They are really easy in design. Basically they are a piece of 3/8" x1.5"x 12" with ears welded to the top of them. This design allowed me to basically notch out the top of the shock mount and slide these in and pick how high I wanted the upper mount. This also strengthened the whole thing because the 3/8" steel is welded to the entire face of the frame. On top I welded a piece to the top of the ears and tied that down to the back side of the mount for strength. Maybe some of you guys that are into the airbag thing know more websites that have brackets. I have tried on the net looking for "shock relocating brackets" and such with no luck.

The lower mounts are just ears welded to the arm that kicked it out twords the kingpin giving it a betyter angle. They rest at about a 20 degree angle. This also gives it more travel.

i was just curious because one) i know anything you make is gonna be trick and awesome and two) since i don't have a welder or any experience welding the ideas i come up with i think that must not work cause that sounds too easy, but basically i think i understand what you did with the upper mount. what's the deal with the lower control arm that redeye mentioned?

edit: you answered my question as i was typing it, thanks :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys sorry for the delay but i'm tracking down the brackets. I know I can get them local but I still dont know who manufactures them. I will keep you all posted.

update on this fineline? very curious to see your rear setup when finished! :D

Probably not much for now. Im getting the front end ready for next month. For now I found some pearches from an old Toyota truch that converts the bottom shock mount to an eyelet type instesd of the stud. They have the same inboard mounting direction so I should be able to bolt them on and run adjustable QA-1's. All this should be bolt on but well see. Right now the truck handles great with the leafs out back and I have plenty of other things that need attention.