1960 Bel Air 2dr Sedan

1960 Bel Air 2dr Sedan

I think I am going to get this puppy road worthy.

BELAIR001.jpg

BELAIR002.jpg

BELAIR004.jpg

BELAIR005.jpg

It actually runs great but needs uhpolstery, needs some paint, some minor electrical, The three on the tree sucks so I either need to fix it or throww in a muncie I have sitting around. I will start discussing it over the next couple of weeks. I have alot of stuff for this car. Major obstacle is uhpolstery because I am broker than broke so I will have to get creative. I want to drive it daily for a while and I need to put seatbelts in it, It still has none. Here is the start. Encouragement welcome!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, just a 283. which is fine by me. My brother has a 1961 conv with a 348, tri power, and a 4 speed, all stock. But that is way to rich for my taste. I like to drive my cars and a 61 gets way to much attn.

I will try to get some more pics up and I am going to lay out my strategy. This may not exactly be a ratsun but it will be freshened up on a ratsun budget. I have owned this car since 1998 andd I have collected many parts for it and now is time to throw away the boxes and bolt them on. The biggest challenge will be upholstery, I think the door panels will be aluminum and then I think I will do some mexican blanket seats. The front and back need new foam first. I have never done seats and I can't pay so I guess I am about to learn. I need a daily driver for a while and this car is mechanically sound but needs alot of details to be nice to roll in.

Edited by zenndog

It's the car from Jeepers Creepers! Does it have the magic 3-speed that changes to an automatic from scene to scene? Seriously, love that car. I wouldn't change a thing. 283s rock - even with column shift. Is it the transmission that you don't like or is it the linkage that sucks?

I love the 283, I am shure it is the shifter. It needs some tunning it the linkage, how about hiem joints! But my suspiscion is that the colume mechanics are funky. The first thing I would do is take out the colume and go through it, but the issue is what parts are in there, what wears out and can I find another one. I will post pics what ever I do. I am out!

I love the 283, I am shure it is the shifter. It needs some tunning it the linkage, how about hiem joints! But my suspiscion is that the colume mechanics are funky. The first thing I would do is take out the colume and go through it, but the issue is what parts are in there, what wears out and can I find another one. I will post pics what ever I do. I am out!

those bushing always go bad

I am sure you dont need seat belts if the car did not come with them .I was in my buds 50 ford pick up .CHP pulls us over for only one tail light .he states to the offcer the truck only came with one STOCK , and he looked it up and let us off and we did not have seat belts . fricken dick

wharf rat-I didn't think about buying a floor shifter for the three speed but I also have a muncie with a hurst shifter I have had sitting around for a very long time, if i decide not to mess with the colum shift I will probably put in the 4 spd.

datsun 160j- I don't need to put seatbelts in the car by law but I am a dad and I need to strap in the goos so seat belts are actually one of the main priorities.

They might still sell the plastic shift linkage bushings at the chev dealership... I got some for my 68 pickup for damn near nothing. On the 3 speeds, after you have checked the bushings on the linkage, check the linkage on the transmission. There is an alignment hole and I think it was nuetral??? If you could slide a screwdriver through (if they lined up) you were golden. It would shift like butter. Its been over 10 years so Im a bit foggy but when I was done on my 68 I could shift it with my fingertips while smoking a cigarette and drinking a cup of coffee...

If it were me Id fix the column shift... Old school cruiser all the way.:cool:

• 2 months later...

Hey you goons,

Anyone out there want to trade a 510 goon for my 1960 bel air 2dr sedan? I am serious, maybe a bit picky, I am in Santa Cruz, car is in LA. The car is registered and drivable and I am looking for the same at least but if you are interested then let me know. I have owned the car since 1998 and I don't take anything personal so give it a go. Might consider a 4 door, but I really want a goon. Z

The only problem I ever saw with this model is that when you pull the license plate forward in the rain and try to fill up on gas the fins does a devilishly good job of directing the rain straight into the gas tank. Check your gas tank, you might have a good deal of rust laying on the bottom!

The only problem I ever saw with this model is that when you pull the license plate forward in the rain and try to fill up on gas the fins does a devilishly good job of directing the rain straight into the gas tank. Check your gas tank, you might have a good deal of rust laying on the bottom!

Don't know if that is why it failed finally but it did get a pinhole leak caused by rust on the bottom of the tank. Dam thing held up for over 40 years either way so no complaints from me. I found a new tank on e-bay for $139.00. Took an hour to install, hardest part was loosening strap bolts and they weren't really hard.

Edited by zenndog