Pontiac GTO

I'm not really sure if this could be called a project or a pipe dream. Over the next three years, I plan to sell my three Datsuns and buy a 2005-2006 Pontiac GTO. In 2012 our mortgage will be paid off and I will be in a perfect position to buy one and might even have it before then if everything goes right. There's just something about a car with 400hp, 6 spd. trans, ABS, traction control and 25+ mpg that appeals to me and I've thought about one of those cars for quite some time. If you're not familiar with the car, it's actually an Austraiian GM Holden Monaro with Pontiac trim and a few extra touches that GM put on the American market version.

2irteki.jpgbfif61.jpg

With this under the hood:

14avqrr.jpg

Edited by HP11
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I'd really call it a gas saver. I guess that depends on how you drive it. It's advertised range, 17-25 is basically what my 810 does. But the GTO uses premium and I presently run 87 in all three of my cars and have since I've owned them so fuel costs will go up for me, as if they're not going up already. I've wanted a GTO ever since I saw them and since I can't keep them all, it's time to start liquidating the Datsun 'collection' so that we'll be able to park whatever two cars we have at that point in the garage. Parting with the Datsuns won't be an easy thing for me. That's why I plan to take three years to do it. I've owned a Datsun in some form or another for the last fourty years with nary a gap in between. Who ever buys the will get a good deal. My cars are all in good/great shape and will come with all of the spare parts that go with them.

Edited by HP11

those are nice looking cars, I love the motors they put in them but the body doesn't even come close to looking like a GTO except for the scoops.

I'm not trying to burst any bubbles but when GM decided to take a Bonneville body and put GTO badges on it, that was a low blow to all GTO enthusiast.

I will never understand why Pontiac corp. designers didn't take some of the looks from the 1st generation GTO (64 - 74) and incorperate into the 2nd generation want-to-be GTO. Ford did, Mopar did and sales went up because of that. If you are wanting to spend your hard earn money on a real GTO buy one of these and people will be give you the thumbs up.

1965 GTO convertible my favorite year

65gtoyellowconvert.jpg

1967 GTO convertible my 2nd favorite year

67gtoconvertblack.jpg

1972 GTO / GT-37 2 dr post w/ wing window, my summer cruiser

P1010015.jpg

If your not looking for a good investment then buy the 2nd gen GTO

but if your are looking for a good investment and want to re-live your early childhood again and have some fun, then get what started the muscle car craze going. Well the GTO didn't start the muscle car craze but it was for the GM boys.

Your wife probly wants the 2nd gen but I bet you would take the 1 gen over the 2nd wouldn't you. just my thoughts

heres a Pontiac GTO form that you could ask about the 2nd gens if you have any questions about them.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/

Edited by 420n620
added info

I know what it is and where it's made. I stated that in my post. I'm not looking to relive my childhood, I've already done enough of that! Nor do I see the 04-06 GTO as any kind of replacement for the first generation. Nor am I looking for an investment. Generally speaking, if you're looking for that you'll likely be dissapointed. I just want one. At this stage of my life I've grown tired of working on 30+ year old cars, hunting down parts, etc.

I know what it is and where it's made. I stated that in my post. I'm not looking to relive my childhood, I've already done enough of that! Nor do I see the 04-06 GTO as any kind of replacement for the first generation. Nor am I looking for an investment. Generally speaking, if you're looking for that you'll likely be dissapointed. I just want one. At this stage of my life I've grown tired of working on 30+ year old cars, hunting down parts, etc.

There comes a time in everyones life that this happens. I got my Datsun because my father-in-law decided the same thing and baught a brand new Kia.

If he hadn't gotten tired if fixing my 620 then it wouldn't be mine now. :rolleyes:

I can see Steve's point.I started out in Pontiacs when i was 7.Crawling under my Dad's 66 Pontiac wagon with him.I've had numerous GTO's,Grand Prix's(one is in a museum),Catalina's,Bonneville Convertibles.Inter mix that with a smattering of MOPARs& Datsuns.My last GTO was a 72 455 HO stick car.Then i bought an AC Cobra(replica).Had enough of that and bought my 4th Z-Car which is faster than the Cobra.Aquired 7 or so 620's And most recently my 810 Goon and a 79 parts car.Thank God, i live on 10 acres.:blink:

There comes a time in everyones life that this happens. I got my Datsun because my father-in-law decided the same thing and baught a brand new Kia.

If he hadn't gotten tired if fixing my 620 then it wouldn't be mine now. :rolleyes:

A Kia? I haven't lost my mind.:lol: I'm just looking to do something different. I'm not tired of fixing them. That I can do. I just plan to have other things to do, health willing, at that point I'll be 62. I'm already retired, my wife will be retired, the house will be paid off, I'll be receiving SS along with my pension and her's, plus we'll have our IRA's etc. I'm sure I'll still be called upon to wrench on cars from time to time but I don't plan to spend as much time wrenching on my own. And I'll still be bugging you guys on these site and likely wishing I still had a Datsun (or 2). Edited by HP11

Actually drove a '69 in '70, with every option the Judge had but air. My buddy finally let me try it out... it was snowing... bastard!!!!

The '69 GTO, was flat out (IMHO) the finest looking example of the Pontiac muscle car. For Pontiac that is. They may still make GTOs, and they may make 400hp... but they don't make muscle cars anymore.

There's just something about a car with 400hp
Yep, that's been my dream for over 20 years, it just has a ring about it... 400...

What about Pontiac G8? That's the new one (Monaro with Corvette engine).

My latest dream is Cadillac CTS-V - 400+ HP in a black 4-dr sedan. Just waiting for the used-CTS prices to drop.

GM mid-size car with Chevrolet V8 power -- that's american muscle no matter where it was built.

Actually drove a '69 in '70, with every option the Judge had but air. My buddy finally let me try it out... it was snowing... bastard!!!!

The '69 GTO, was flat out (IMHO) the finest looking example of the Pontiac muscle car. For Pontiac that is. They may still make GTOs, and they may make 400hp... but they don't make muscle cars anymore.

I'm 59 years old. I drove GTO's back in the day though I never owned one. I did own a Plymouth Duster 340 6 pack, a 64 Plymouth Fury with a 426 wedge, and an SS396 Camaro so I do have some experience with muscle cars, though it's been a while. No, the 04-06 GTO is not a muscle car but based on printed test results the 05-06 GTO will flat outrun and out handle any of the 60s and 70s versions. The 04 has a smaller engine and a little less power. The power has nothing to do with why I want one (well...not much). I'm not looking for any kind of re creation of an era. Just moving on to something else. A 370Z is not a 240Z, a 2009 Mustang is not a Boss 429, etc., etc., etc.
yeap, isn't that a sad thing.....:(

I hear the japs are thinking about buying Pontiac

don't know how true that is..

time will tell.....

The Pontiac and Saturn brand names and badges are kaput as of the end of this year. GM is no longer going to use them.

• 2 months later...

Wow! I don't recall asking for a GTO history lesson. How did we get to whatever that is in post 17? No matter, really, back to the original topic. My plans got accelerated somewhat. I have the GTO and my Datsuns are gone. I purchased it June 19th. I figured "why wait?". 6.0L, 400hp, 6 speed, 24000 miles, lots of fun to drive. I'm happy with it so far but because of life getting in the way I've barely put 100 miles on it in the ten days or so I've had it.

30vnh5e.jpg

9gvvq9.jpg

1zbf96p.jpg

Edited by HP11

Nice, I really like those cars. Friend from work took me for a ride in his...fast friggen car. :cool:

The car is equal to it's history, take a grocery getter and throw a big motor at it. Of course, now it's also a piece of that history since it's the last of it's badge. Take care of it, I think it will be worth alot in 15-20 years.