73 620 Disc Brake Swap

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks is radsun the only way to contact him I'm really interested I got my front done in r rated motor sports. They where from a 2002 chevy tahoe I whent this way because that's the only way I thought of stopping after my sr20 swap

• 1 year later...

I've got a couple questions for ya..

-so what did you do for the 15/16ths Master cylinder Reservoirs? (i cant find the plastic reservoirs, by themselves, anywhere in my searching)

- Is the flare nut size the same on the 7/8's? Could this be used in leu of the 15/16ths without issue?

-I noticed the size of the 4wd d21 caliper is slightly larger than the 4wd 720, Is there any reason (besides overall size) to use the D21 4wd?

i'm about to do a front disc upgrade on my newly aquired 77 King Cab, and since i plan on making my own brackets, i just want to make sure the rest is gonna work without issue.

Thanks!!

• 11 months later...

are the 92 Nissan D21 4x4 p.u. Calipers the only ones I could use for this setup with the 02 Isuzu rotors? would the stock 620 master cylinder work or do I have to use the 280z master cylinder ?

and last but not least. im running titan 18in wheels would I also have to use spacers to clear calipers ?

I really would appreciate the response. Datsun rookie

Your master is a 3/4" and even the '78 when it got front disc brakes went to 13/16". I did use Toyota 4 piston front calipers on my '78 620 and they seemed fine. A larger caliper should use a larger master or the pedal will travel further to work them and 'feel' mushy. Make no mistake, they will work just fine just more pedal travel than the ones you have now. Keep an eye out for a later '78-'79 master and try later.

• 10 months later...

Got to the swap today. Didnt even have to start a fire!biggrin.gif I needed to buy bolts to mount the calipers to the brackets. 12 x 33mm x 1.25 The stock ones of the Hardbody were too long. I was able to re-use the stock 620 bolts to mount the brackets to the hub. It all went pretty smooth except for the clip that holds the brake line to the frame would not work so back to the JY to see if the stock Hardbody ones will fit on the 620 frame. Heres the pics:fu:

DiscBrakeSwap007.jpg

DiscBrakeSwap010.jpg

DRUM AND HUB OFF READY TO PULL BRAKE ASSEMBLY

DiscBrakeSwap012.jpg

READY 4 THE BRACKET:D

DiscBrakeSwap014.jpg

BRACKET ON RE-USING STOCK BOLTS

DiscBrakeSwap015.jpg

HUB ON

DiscBrakeSwap016.jpg

OOOHHHH SHINY:D ROTORS ON (TITE FIT ON ONE SIDE AND SLID RITE ON ON OTHER

DiscBrakeSwap018.jpg

BRAKE LINE @ FRAME. STOCK 620 CLIP IS DIFFERENT. COULD GRIND OUT CLIP TO MAKE WORK IF THE D21 CLIP WONT WORK

DiscBrakeSwap019.jpg

D21 BRAKE LINE AND STOCK 620 CLIP DONT MESH

DiscBrakeSwap005.jpg

STOCK D21 BOLT TOO LONG HAD TO BUY NEW ONES 12 X 33MM X 1.25

DiscBrakeSwap006.jpg

ALL BOLTED UP AND PRETTY:D

DiscBrakeSwap003.jpg

NOW THATS MORE LIKE IT:cool:

DiscBrakeSwap004.jpg

So tomoro its off to the JY to get the D21 brake line clips and then bench bleed the Z master cyl. New stock 620 booster and put it all together, bleed and then take for a test drive. One other concern of mine was the stock 620 studs were kind of short cuz I had to use spacers to get my 15" Frontiers away from the Calipers. About a 1/2" of thread. Is this enuff? Should i get longer studs?

hey i know this is a super old post but i want to know if:

1. do you still make these

2. do the disc stick out farther then the drums or is it the same?

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

All the problems you have run into are included in the Mike Klotz kit plus a couple other bells and whistles too.  Mike Klotz's kits are pricier than Beebanis.  I am happy to see you upgrade your braking system.

Both the Beebani kits and the Kltz kit are safe I have used both.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

92 Nissan D21 4x4 p.u. Calipers $15 a piece from local junk yard (make sure you get the rubber brake lines too.) I opted to get new fully loaded ones from Autozone for $130 for both with the cores I got from jy -$95:eek: (worth the jy trip)

First post... :poke: