73 620 Disc Brake Swap

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So whats so hard about throwing on the 78, 79 datsun disk brake rotors and back plates and all that??

No offense man, but I never get sick of everybody always suggesting other ideas to me as if this one hasn't had years of R&D done by several people to come up with it. I get at least 1 guy a week on ebay asking me why I don't use this rotor, or this caliper. I even had some dipshit ask me about using 280zx calipers/rotors.:lol:

The 78/79 parts are for a ball joint front end. They won't directly bolt up to a pre-78 truck without some modification and swapping out upper arms, lower arms, spindles, hubs, etc.

I just got these. Thanks Beebani... I will also post pics and hopefully they will work with my 14" rims...

So whats so hard about throwing on the 78, 79 datsun disk brake rotors and back plates and all that??

LCDC it looks like by your profile you have a 74 and a 78. Why dont you try it and let us know how that goes. If you go to the brake section on the forum you will see how hard and what involved in what you are talking about. RESEARCH is key....

Edited by 72 327

Will see if they are ok. I will put them to the test. do some video recording also... Maybe some burn outs. power jacking the truck. And some nice fast stops. It will be a couple weeks till I get the truck done but I will get it done.

Dont just say that and leave! Tell us why you think these brackets are scary.
Okay. The ear material looks unnecessarily thin, both in cross section and shoulder width. The bottom piece especially concerns me because the caliper will be trying to pull away from it during normal braking (counter clockwise forces for the shown driver side). The bolt holes look a bit sloppy, which would allow the caliper to shift and possibly slam from one side to the other, just amplifying my above concern. Why are the ears also so narrow, especially for the width of material - why not more triangular pieces which would increase their strength and also the weld area? Look what nissan puts on the REAR of an 80's maxima - these things are like 3/8" thick

DSCF2328x.jpg

Just my thoughts, and I don't even own a truck so don't take it too personally.

Will see if they are ok. I will put them to the test. do some video recording also... Maybe some burn outs. power jacking the truck. And some nice fast stops. It will be a couple weeks till I get the truck done but I will get it done.

If my truck looked and moved like yours I wouldn't be testing brake parts on it, ESP these.

If my truck looked and moved like yours I wouldn't be testing brake parts on it, ESP these.

Well the truck wont be done for a couple weeks. If I get an email from Beebani saying dont do it with my money back in paypal then Ill know not to. I dont think he is to worried about it.

I physcially they look fine. I think the pics dont show how thick they are. as far as sloppy. Hmmmm I think they are alittle oblonged to take all the different casting of the calipers. I do think they could have a bit more metal at the end where the caliper mounts. But I dont think it will matter.

Beebani chime in here please lets put this to bed.

I agree with Matt. Drilling the holes instead of cutting them with the plasma would greatly increase the craftsmanship of the brackets. And some more metal is not a bad idea. Consider the forces at work during an accident...

Not taking it personally "ThisisMatt" I want to know what you think:D It did not even cross my mind until you said something. As 4 the mounting holes being big, the caliper does not move. It fits very tite. I will know more once I finally drive it. They are thick width wise but I also feel they could be bigger around the hole.

O.k., this is why I get aprehensive about selling parts to members, because the witch hunts begin. The pics are very deceiving guys, there is plenty of meat everywhere on the brakets. Have any of you paid any attention to the stock caliper mounts on the 720 or hardbody? Not exactly a sherman tank! Some of them are cast aluminum.

I have over 50 sets of these that have been out working daily for quite a while, and I keep in touch with at least 50% of these guys. They all say the same thing....thank you. And 327, I see no problem with putting these on your truck, I knew what you'd do to them when you bought them, and I'm not worried. I stand behind everything I do, and am quick to jump in and help out if something isn't right.

If this is gonna turn into another public pursecution of me or my products, then I think I'm gonna move on.

Sorry that your thread got hijacked Doug. Let me know if there's any issues at all.

• Like 1

i dont have a truck but looking at the brackets they look like they would be plenty strong enough how thick is the metal 1/4 inch? 1/2 inch? they look fine ive seen weaker looking stuff on ebay all the time

ok i made seat brackets out of 1/4 inch plate and they held up better then the stock datsun stuff when i got slamed in january 1/4 inch plate is thick shit guys and looking at the pics they look like things ive seen used on street rods they should be more then ehough to stop a datto pick up even one thats small block powered

i've been runnin my brackets for what?? almost 2 years?? an they're in the same condition as when i put them on.. i've bought from beebani in the past, an i will buy from him again.. granted the set i have now is the first generation set.. and the set after that well we dont know what happend there they may have been damaged in shipping or just got too hot i dont know, but i will buy these new brackets and i will get the rears too..

dont go stopping making your product bee

O.k., this is why I get aprehensive about selling parts to members, because the witch hunts begin. The pics are very deceiving guys, there is plenty of meat everywhere on the brakets. Have any of you paid any attention to the stock caliper mounts on the 720 or hardbody? Not exactly a sherman tank! Some of them are cast aluminum.

I have over 50 sets of these that have been out working daily for quite a while, and I keep in touch with at least 50% of these guys. They all say the same thing....thank you. And 327, I see no problem with putting these on your truck, I knew what you'd do to them when you bought them, and I'm not worried. I stand behind everything I do, and am quick to jump in and help out if something isn't right.

If this is gonna turn into another public pursecution of me or my products, then I think I'm gonna move on.

Sorry that your thread got hijacked Doug. Let me know if there's any issues at all.

I have never ever heard any complaints about these brackets. This is why I bought them. I trust them 100%. Thank You Beebani.

I think we need to let this rest. There proven and there has never been a problem with them. So let this non-issue go.

• Like 1

....Just wanted to throw my 'for what it's worth' in there....

IMHO, one of the greatest things about this forum is the fact that we have so many skilled and knowledgeable people here! There are the odd exceptions, of course, but for the most part everyone here gets their hands dirty and is more than willing to help out a fellow enthusiast.

The thing that truly sets Ratsun apart is the fact that we have an 'in-house' fabricator, who is willing to research and design parts for our specific needs!!!

Just try strolling down to your local machine shop and ask if they'll design a suspension part for your '72 'whatever...' and enjoy the laughter when they either show you the door, or show you the total!

I am truly grateful the we have access to these specialized parts that are amazingly affordable!

Bee- please keep up the good work (and take all criticizms with a grain!:D)

gezz i thought i overkilled stuff 1/4 for seat brackets :blink: do any of your guys know how strong 1/4 plate is? i weld parts for military lifting slings all day they pick up humvees, howester cannons (spelling?) trailers with these things with helicopters all these parts are quarter inch steel with 1/4 rivets holding them on. ya know how much force get applyed when they hook up to these slings to pull out humvees stuck in the mud. etc what ever else they do with them too? Id think that the would work to hold a caliper on a 2500 or less truck. jason is my freind and im not sticking up for him, but i mean... wow. ive metioned ideas to him that he may or maynot take into consideration. a man's gotta make money, and everyone who buys parts wants them buy yesterday morning usually, so sometimes hand crafting a part just is not feasible price wise. nor accurate sometimes.

gezz i thought i overkilled stuff 1/4 for seat brackets :blink: do any of your guys know how strong 1/4 plate is? i weld parts for military lifting slings all day they pick up humvees, howester cannons (spelling?) trailers with these things with helicopters all these parts are quarter inch steel with 1/4 rivets holding them on. ya know how much force get applyed when they hook up to these slings to pull out humvees stuck in the mud. etc what ever else they do with them too? Id think that the would work to hold a caliper on a 2500 or less truck. jason is my freind and im not sticking up for him, but i mean... wow. ive metioned ideas to him that he may or maynot take into consideration. a man's gotta make money, and everyone who buys parts wants them buy yesterday morning usually, so sometimes hand crafting a part just is not feasible price wise. nor accurate sometimes.

i dont remember the exact messurements but there somthing like 4 inches wide and 6 inches long and made out of 1/4inch plate im a big boy i didnt want them bastards to break

Word to the wise: the '78-9 stock disc brakes are discs... but barely. Probably better than drums, but the thing is that they are not vented. For average use around town they work, but then, so do drums.

I'm planning on doing a swap for more modern discs in my '79 because of the problems I had with them. When loaded down and going down just a modest grade, they heat up so fast it's incredible. The pads would start burning in under 30 seconds, engine braking all the while. There's a good reason that all discs these days are vented. Man those organic matter pads stink...

If you're doing a swap, don't even think about putting stock discs on... or any other un-vented discs for that matter.