73 620 Disc Brake Swap

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Real quick, will the D21 4x4 calipers stop a V6 powered truck easily?

the 4x4 trucks there on stock stop just fine... Oh and they are heavier than a 2wd 620. Its not the size of the engine its the weight behind it. (wow that sounds like what we white guys are allways saying LMAO)

Real quick, will the D21 4x4 calipers stop a V6 powered truck easily?

The D21 4x4 calipers are HUGE! The pads in them are the thickest I've ever seen and combined with the HUGE Rodeo rotors I think they are more than enuf to stop a V6 vehicle. Of course I am use to little Datsun brakes so to me these look HUGE:blink:

Got my 280ZX MasterCylinder bled and put on and the Calipers bled and took her for a spin. IT STOPS!:D Lots of peddle pressure and she stops rite now!

I am going to have to get longer studs tho. Wheels hangin on by about 3/8" thread:eek: Has anyone done a stud swap?

Beebani u b the man:cool::D Thank you for your inginuity and service. You are a true asset here in the Ratsun nation. For you non-believers......:fu:

For you non-believers......:fu:

Good for you that you get your brakes bled and working to your satisfaction but not for nothing..... That has dick to do with what was argued about the brackets. I could cut a piece of cardboard that would bolt the calipers up, how safe was the concern. That's what it was too, CONCERN, not a "witch hunt" or "non-believers" or w/e other bs, it was ratsuners concern for other rasuners safety.

Has anyone done a stud swap?

Pretty easy, especially if you have new studs. :D

Hit the old ones with a hammer and they will fall out the back of the hub. Put the new ones in the hub try to lightly tap them in to get a bit of purchase. Put your wheel on and tighten up the lugs all the way, in the cross pattern. Then take the wheel back off to make sure they are fully seated.

If you pull the hub off you can pound them in with a hammer, but if you not in there for the wheel bearings anyways, that up there is the way to go. ;)

Good for you that you get your brakes bled and working to your satisfaction but not for nothing..... That has dick to do with what was argued about the brackets. I could cut a piece of cardboard that would bolt the calipers up, how safe was the concern. That's what it was too, CONCERN, not a "witch hunt" or "non-believers" or w/e other bs, it was ratsuners concern for other rasuners safety.

I appreciate you concern. I do believe tho it will be plenty strong. It definitely could have had more meat around the bolt area. Only time will tell:D

• 3 months later...
So... Datdoug... what longer studs did you use. Did you try these out? Or did you keep them stock. Thanks!

Dude, way to long ago to remember all the details. Got the studs from NAPA and they were different thread and different grooved part. Just take one of your stock studs in and tell them you want one longer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hey datdoug i am thinkin gof doing this swap on my truck but building my own brackets just for fun (and of course to save some dough!!! less than 20 bucks instead of 120 and some personal satisfaction!! lol) anyways the front looks really good on your truck but what about the back? would a guy get away with using the same master cylinder, calipers, and rotors, with the only difference in the brackets? i know on most new vehicles the front brakes are way bigger than the rear and i would want minje the same size atleast.

thanks farmer :) i was trying to avoid the solid rotors, i think i might go with the same calipers and rotors as the front, i work at oreilys and the total cost to me was about 250 bucks for one end, the calipers are the ones that come with the thermoquiet pads as well as lifetime warranty rotors, so im looking at about 500 bucks for all around disc conversion, plus my labor in the brackets, does anybody have any tips for making the brackets?

• 6 months later...

Front Brake Disc:

The part # 8-97254-295-0, cross-refs to the following cars, in case one doesn't find a MY02 Rodeo at the boneyard.

02-04 Isuzu Axiom

02 Honda Passport

04 Isuzu Rodeo V6

02-03 Isuzu Rodeo L4

01-04 Isuzu Rodeo V6

01-03 Isuzu Rodeo Sport

Front Brake Caliper Brackets:

Production range from 01/92 to 97 D21/pickup 4x4, fits V6. Be advised if you are piecing together this project, dealerships do NOT sell the bracket separately. They are sold with the caliper as a set.

• 2 months later...

thanks farmer :) i was trying to avoid the solid rotors, i think i might go with the same calipers and rotors as the front, i work at oreilys and the total cost to me was about 250 bucks for one end, the calipers are the ones that come with the thermoquiet pads as well as lifetime warranty rotors, so im looking at about 500 bucks for all around disc conversion, plus my labor in the brackets, does anybody have any tips for making the brackets?

I don't have any tips on making the brackets, but if you wanted the rears you could just buy my extra set :)

• 11 months later...

Looks good Doug, damn newspaper stuck to the paint (wasn't cured enough I guess) I see. They looked really good before they went in the box.

Yes, these do fit the 521, 520, and 320. They all use the same spindle casting. The only things that change between them is the inner bearings and the 320 has shorter control arms.

There's still plenty of meat around the caliper bolt holes, 3/16" or so. I like to keep the holes a little oversized (John Deere fit) because of the variances in castings. That way it's a one size fits all. I have seen a few differences between calipers over the years, between brands and years.